Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Some Guy You've Likely Never Heard of Before Does a Nice Thing

TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA Co-Founder PAUL O'NEILL Donates $5,000 To Junior High School Band... At The Airport

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 02:55:06 EST

The following report was issued by Petras Barcas at Darien Suburban Life in Darien, IL.

The chance of running into a rock star at the airport is not as slim as say, running into one at the grocery store. But the chance of that musician donating $5,000 to one’s middle-school band during that chance encounter, however, is pretty rare.

That is exactly what happened to half the band of Eisenhower Junior High during their trip to Orlando April 24. The students met Paul O’Neill, co-founder of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and music producer.

The band of 80 students took two flights down to their music competition. One of the flights was delayed, and that is where 39 kids got to rub elbows with O’Neill, a rock legend who has promoted concerts for Madonna and Sting, as well as produced platinum albums for Aerosmith.

“It was just a fluke meeting — we were delayed, he was delayed — and this is just what he does to help bands,” said Ray Conniff, co-vice president of the band boosters. “The ticket agent said he stops bands all the time because he travels from New York to Orlando a lot.”

Conniff told the whole incredible story, starting with how O’Neill came up to the group of kids, all wearing their red “Got music?” band T-shirts. He then inquired who was the band director, Conniff said.

“The next thing I know, he’s telling me how a lot of music programs are being cut, how important music is, and how he doesn’t want our program to be cut,” said Conniff. “Then he writes me a check for $5,000. I was stunned. That’s a very sizable donation.”

Seventh-grader Jazmyn Jimenez recalled O’Neill’s appearance as being all rock star.

“He had a long black leather trench coat on, with black sunglasses and long black hair,” she said. “We didn’t really know who he was, and even after he told us, I still didn’t know.”

The check read: “Use this for pizza and McDonald’s, as junk food is an important part of the creative process.” Clearly, O’Neill has a good sense of humor.

As if the donation was not enough, O’Neill started pulling jackets, shirts, and guitar picks out of his suitcase and dispersing them to the crowd of kids, who was now gathering around for autographs.

Then he pulled out a wad of bills. One hundred dollar bills.

“I was behind him. He asked us how many people were in the band,” said Jose Moreno, a sixth-grader that plays saxophone and piano. “I heard people gasp as he pulled out a wad of $100s.”

Every student got a $100 bill. O’Neill asked that $20 out of each $100 be “paid forward” to other band mates or students in need.

“He was really nice. He just kept giving us stuff,” said Jose, who got an additional $100 to expand his CD collection. “I said I played keyboard, and he recommended some tracks and gave me $100 to buy them. I haven’t had a chance yet, but I will.”

The donation may be used for uniforms or instruments — no one is really sure yet. They just know they had a great time chatting with O’Neill.

“It was just another highlight added to our trip,” said Jazmyn. “It was really fun.”
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
MJ4H
Coordinator

100% A+
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

Not exactly a celebrity, more like a guy with lots of money.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Ksyrup

He's a fairly well-known producer/musician from the 80s who's gotten even more exposure over the past 10 years thanks to TSO. I'm not suggesting he's Tom Cruise or LeBron James. There have been reality show contestants that are less well-known than this guy, so as loosely as the term is thrown around these days, I'd say he qualifies.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Not exactly a celebrity, more like a guy with lots of money.

Anymore, people are celebrities because they are idiots, not because they're important. I'm not sure that being termed a 'celebrity' is such a good thing anymore.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Ksyrup

True!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Um yes...I was told there would be a celebrity here?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Ksyrup

Better?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

I can think of two more famous people with the same name.

By the way, I don't know if he's married, but if he is, my guess is his wife is PISSED.

knives out
Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
By the way, I don't know if he's married, but if he is, my guess is his wife is PISSED.

My guess is that she's got more money on hand than she can spend. TSO is an absolute cash cow.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
Ksyrup

Quote:
I can think of two more famous people with the same name.

So can I, but only one of them wrote/produced for Savatage, so he's the only one that comes to mind when I hear the name. I'd care more about the baseball player had he not been a Yankee.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
st.cronin
General Manager

The new thread title is totally awesome. Its like something from the Onion.

knives out
Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Every student got a $100 bill. O’Neill asked that $20 out of each $100 be “paid forward” to other band mates or students in need.

“He was really nice. He just kept giving us stuff,” said Jose, who got an additional $100 to expand his CD collection. “I said I played keyboard, and he recommended some tracks and gave me $100 to buy them. I haven’t had a chance yet, but I will.”

Someone needs to tell José that he only has $80 for CDs. Unless he's going to ignore the pay it forward request. That little son of a...

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Someone needs to tell José that he only has $80 for CDs. Unless he's going to ignore the pay it forward request. That little son of a...

i guess you missed the "additional $100" part of that, didn't ya?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote