Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Anyone recommend a good moving company?

We are moving from NW Ohio to SE Michigan at the end of May. I signed up for some moving quote thing online and all I am getting is these people calling and asking a bunch of questions. Then when I ask questions they get flustered and have to ask their manager, then I never hear back.

When we moved last year the moving company was ok, but high priced and generally a headache. Worst case scenario, I'll use them again.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Balldog
Pro Rookie

dola - and why the heck can't they ever pick up one day and deliver the next, its a two hour drive! I asked the one lady yesterday if she could do that and she acted like I had asked them to move us for free. "Oh no we can't do that!!! We need at least 3 days." They must be using pull carts to move furniture instead of semis.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
dola - and why the heck can't they ever pick up one day and deliver the next, its a two hour drive! I asked the one lady yesterday if she could do that and she acted like I had asked them to move us for free. "Oh no we can't do that!!! We need at least 3 days." They must be using pull carts to move furniture instead of semis.

Don't feel bad we are moving from Boston to Denver and we were given a window of 5 to 18 days. I expected a week to ten days but that 5-18 not too accurate. I would recommend Atlus or North American. They all seeem to be aboutt he sam as far
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We used Graebel when we moved from Jersey to Cinci. They were great, driver was really friendly. I think they took about 5 days to get our stuff here.

We are going from Ohio to Seattle most likely, I dread how long it willl take.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't believe there are any "good" moving companies, there are just some that are "less bad."

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Passacaglia
Coordinator

How much stuff do you have? When we moved from Ann Arbor to Chicago, they picked it up in the morning, then dropped it off that night. I'll see if I can find out who it was. Also, where in SE Michigan are you moving to?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I used ABF - U Pack...

We packed the trailer (3 business days) and they picked it up, took up to 7 days to get it from Utah to Buffalo. They dropped it, and we unloaded...(3 Business Days)

Total cost for a 28' trailer was $3300
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

lurker is such a dork -- she had the receipt in her desk drawer at work, and knew exactly where it was, even though we moved in 2002:

All Around Moving, Inc.
25440 Pennsylvania Rd.
Taylor, MI 48180
734-941-2280
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
miked
College Starter

Quote:

That's because these aren't "real" moving companies, they take your stuff and cram it in with 5 other runs so they can get the most bang for the buck, they are transportation companies. I was moving from ATL-BOS and had these companies all calling and giving me cheap quotes based on what I was telling them I had. They change their terms, add weight, and their names so you can't track them. It's very shady. We went with A Arnold in our move back down south as they were contracted with my work and actually send people to the house to inspect and estimate. Do not allow a moving company to give you a quote without having them come down to the house and give you a "not to exceed" estimate.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I also used U-Pack from D.C. to Indiana. It means packing and unpacking yourself, but the price is pretty good and the trailer will come to your door.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Castlerock
High School Varsity

First read: http://www.protectyourmove.gov/

If anything goes wrong with an interstate move, you are screwed and there is no one who can or will help you. Be VERY careful who you choose. The web sites below give details about how it became the mess it is.

http://www.movingscam.com/
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/mover..._companies.htm

My buddy moved from Boston to SF a couple of years ago. The company he hired was a rogue mover. They literally never delivered his stuff (well, he did get some of it back a couple of years later). Everything he owned was gone. The company just disolved and probably re-appeared a few weeks later under a new name. There was no one to help him either. The police could do nothing because is was a contract dispute. The state attorney general could do nothing since it was an interstate move and the federal agency that used to oversee movers (Interstate Commerce Commission) was eliminated.

There is also a scam where the movers DO show up with your stuff but they demand a LOT more money. If you don't pay... they drive away. And calling the police won't do any good because it's a contract dispute. And good luck suing them.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The best one I have ever used was the DIYDS Moving Company. The best part is that the Do It Your Damn Self Moving Company is that if you have a spouse, you have a free foreman on the job to make sure you don't harm any of the walls or furniture while moving items in or out of your house.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

UHaul?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
First read: http://www.protectyourmove.gov/

If anything goes wrong with an interstate move, you are screwed and there is no one who can or will help you. Be VERY careful who you choose. The web sites below give details about how it became the mess it is.

http://www.movingscam.com/
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/mover..._companies.htm

My buddy moved from Boston to SF a couple of years ago. The company he hired was a rogue mover. They literally never delivered his stuff (well, he did get some of it back a couple of years later). Everything he owned was gone. The company just disolved and probably re-appeared a few weeks later under a new name. There was no one to help him either. The police could do nothing because is was a contract dispute. The state attorney general could do nothing since it was an interstate move and the federal agency that used to oversee movers (Interstate Commerce Commission) was eliminated.

There is also a scam where the movers DO show up with your stuff but they demand a LOT more money. If you don't pay... they drive away. And calling the police won't do any good because it's a contract dispute. And good luck suing them.

Thats some scary shit
Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

FTR- My wife works for Proctor and Gamble and the whole company uses Graebel so they are very trustworthy.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
How much stuff do you have? When we moved from Ann Arbor to Chicago, they picked it up in the morning, then dropped it off that night. I'll see if I can find out who it was. Also, where in SE Michigan are you moving to?

We have a 3 BR house with 2 living rooms, so we got a decent amount of big items but not much little stuff. We are moving to Macomb, MI.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
lurker is such a dork -- she had the receipt in her desk drawer at work, and knew exactly where it was, even though we moved in 2002:

All Around Moving, Inc.
25440 Pennsylvania Rd.
Taylor, MI 48180
734-941-2280

Cool, I will check them out. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The best one I have ever used was the DIYDS Moving Company. The best part is that the Do It Your Damn Self Moving Company is that if you have a spouse, you have a free foreman on the job to make sure you don't harm any of the walls or furniture while moving items in or out of your house.

I would love to rent a U-Haul and do it myself but I am not available for almost all of May so I don't really have that option.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
We have a 3 BR house with 2 living rooms, so we got a decent amount of big items but not much little stuff. We are moving to Macomb, MI.

Welcome to the area!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
FTR- My wife works for Proctor and Gamble and the whole company uses Graebel so they are very trustworthy.

I saw a Graebel truck today on my way to work, of course by the time I got to work I couldn't remember the name. Thanks for the refresher, I'll check them out.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #21
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I've never moved across state lines, but I always use Two Men and a Truck to do my moving. I'm not sure how they compare price-wise, but they always move quickly and get stuff moved in about as short amount of time as possible.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would love to rent a U-Haul and do it myself but I am not available for almost all of May so I don't really have that option.

PODs? Basically same principle as uhaul, except they leave the container, you fill it up, and then they take it and deliver it. Not sure how expensive it is though. Although you probably don't have time like you said.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote