Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2003, 06:38 AM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A look at the Tennessee Vols...the QBs

What I hope to offer up here is my view of the Tennessee Vols, starting with QBs. I hope you enjoy it.

Quarterback

Depth Chart:

7 Casey Clausen, Sr. 6-4, 225
11 James Banks, So. 6-3, 200
12 CJ Leak, Sr. 6-4, 225

I’m happy with Casey Clausen, and he’s proven to be a good quarterback. A 60% completion percentage is more than I would have given him credit for, but that’s great news.

Casey has been starting for the Vols since his freshman year, when he took over for a “struggling” AJ Suggs. Suggs, my QB of choice for the Vols, left after that year for Georgia Tech. Casey arrived on campus the same time as Rattay (darned if I can remember his first name, John maybe?), who has since bounced to Arizona, JC and to nowhere if I’m not mistaken. Rattay realized the QB battle that was upcoming (Joey Mathews, Casey Clausen, AJ Suggs, and Rattay) and transferred out. That dropped the horse race to three. Clausen then came up with some tendonitis (probably because he prepared so much for UT) and was out for the first two games of the year. Between Mathews and Suggs, Mathews was named the starter. That was a mistake, in my opinion.

Mathews was horrible in the opener against Southern Miss. He threw a touchdown pass to Cedrick Wilson in a way I can only describe as a “helicopter spin”. Fortunately, Suggs came in and helped us out.

Casey eventually overcame the tendonitis and was named the starter.

Since then, it’s been Casey’s job, despite some grumblings from receivers during Clausen’s freshman year.

I really like James Banks. I wish the Vols would let him work solely at QB. James is a heck of an athlete for as much as I can tell. He hurdled a Hurricane last season that just had me amazed (I believe the play was called back for holding). I’d rather not see him at receiver. Despite the gripes about the group, I think we have enough talent out there to keep him at one position.

I’m sad for CJ Leak. I want nothing but the best for this guy. I’m glad he chose to transfer here from Wake Forest (I read about him committing to WF. Seems they also signed Chris Leak to a letter of intent back then as well (I think I read that in SI). The odd thing about that obviously was that Chris was an 8th grader. CJ was speaking his praises then as well. I’m disappointed in the coaching staff for not sticking with him sooner, but they obviously know more about what’s going on than I do.

We have all sorts of other QBs in Knoxville. Our 2003 signee, Bo Hardegee, was an unknown (at least by me) prospect. We also have if I’m not mistaken, five walk on QBs.

The best known may be Casey Clausen’s younger brother, Rick. Rick transfers in from LSU. Others include a recruit ranked in Athlon’s preview from last year, Brett Weyman, and Vermont’s Mr. Football (I believe his name was Covington).

Brett Weyman is highly regarded in some circles. These circles believe that Weyman's arrival in UT will cause Banks to move to reciever. I hope not. Weyman may be good and will most likely receive a scholarship next season, but UT (to my knowledge) still plans on bringing in a freshman or two for next season.

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote