Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Angry FOFC Tech Support: LCD Monitor just died. I think.

I got a 22" ViewSonic from Costco this past summer (VX2235wm) on some good on-line reviews and an unbeatable price ($199). Well, she's dead Jim. When I try to turn it on, the screen very briefly comes to life showing a black screen, then goes blank (it is a subtle difference between a black screen and no signal, but I can see it). When I unplug the monitor from my video card and plug it back in, it cycles 3 times trying to get a signal then gives up. I tested my computer on another monitor - it works - and another computer on this monitor - it doesn't work.

Monitors in my experience are like televisions - repair costs are often higher than replacement costs.

So, does anyone have a good recommendation for a good 22"+ flat panel monitor? Or, any good ideas on how to salvage the bad one?

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Check warranty. If you got it last summer, that's under a year. I don't think any of these manufacturers are down to 90 days yet. Alternately, if you bought with a Visa card, most of them warranty for an extra year.

I'd start by calling Viewsonic.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

I got a 22" ViewSonic from Costco this past summer (VX2235wm) on some good on-line reviews and an unbeatable price ($199). Well, she's dead Jim. When I try to turn it on, the screen very briefly comes to life showing a black screen, then goes blank (it is a subtle difference between a black screen and no signal, but I can see it). When I unplug the monitor from my video card and plug it back in, it cycles 3 times trying to get a signal then gives up. I tested my computer on another monitor - it works - and another computer on this monitor - it doesn't work.

Monitors in my experience are like televisions - repair costs are often higher than replacement costs.

So, does anyone have a good recommendation for a good 22"+ flat panel monitor? Or, any good ideas on how to salvage the bad one?

I'd contact viewsonic, their monitors have 3 year limited warranties. Probably worth a try to see if they'll fix it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd call costco and see what their return policy is on monitors. It may just be 90 days

Quote:
Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

Doesn't say monitors, but it's probably only 90 days. Worth a shot though.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully it's still under warranty, if not I'm a sucker for Dell LCD monitors and I did buy a 20" widescreen Ben Q for the kids awhile back that has been great for the price.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Good advice, my friends.

I logged onto the Viewsonic support site and did a live chat with support. I'm still under warranty, but I've got to ship the monitor back to Viewsonic for repair/replacement. It will be 2-4 weeks until I get it back, so it is only costing me shipping and insuranace out there plus a month of no monitor.

Grumble - it may be worth getting a new one anyway, as we have no spares around the house.

Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Do what I did. I bought an old beast of a monitor as an emergency spare. Sure it ain't pretty but for 20 bucks it was worth it when my monitor went in for service.

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 04-06-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, if you need a monitor in a pinch, and don't want to spend a lot, Craigslist is a great place to look. You can usually find a 15 inch or 17 inch CRT for $10 to $20, sometimes even free.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I had a spare, but I donated it and my old PC to my church last winter. Good for a tax write-off, bad for my redundancy.