Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #1201
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Don't we still have Brad May?

And besides, the Wild won't go too nuts because they know if they do, Pronger or Bertuzzi will cheap shot Gaborik.

Brad May 10 years ago might have dealt with Simon or Fedoruk. I'm talking a second goon ala Kevin Sawyer or Trevor Gillies who they kept in the closet all those years.

HB - the Simon signing was purely for the chance of meeting the Ducks in the playoffs. One of them will probably sit in any other series (Fedoruk can actually play a little bit and at this point, is more of a defensive forward than an enforcer) but against the Ducks, you bet they will all be dressed every game and looking for payback.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #1202
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I think I heard where the Devils scored 2 goals or less in 28 games? Does that sound right?

If this was right, it is 29 games now.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #1203
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Don't worry Devils fans...you play the Flyers tonight...who you've owned for over a decade.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #1204
Pyser
Pro Rookie

its past worrying. it is flat out expecting to lose...which is a feeling i dont know that ive ever had as a devils fan
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #1205
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Pyser, clearly you weren't around during the Mickey Mouse years.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #1206
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If anyone is a hockeybuzz reader and following their blogger contest, DownGoesBrown is featured today: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=14366

Feel free to vote if you're a member of the site and would normally do so, but if anyone spams or otherwise screws around, I'll go Jonathan Roy on you.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #1207
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
its past worrying. it is flat out expecting to lose...which is a feeling i dont know that ive ever had as a devils fan

The last time the Flyers beat the Devils...in NJ...March 2004.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #1208
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Pyser, clearly you weren't around during the Mickey Mouse years.

no. i was like 6 then. i dont even think i knew hockey existed
Old 03-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #1209
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
If anyone is a hockeybuzz reader and following their blogger contest, DownGoesBrown is featured today: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=14366

Feel free to vote if you're a member of the site and would normally do so, but if anyone spams or otherwise screws around, I'll go Jonathan Roy on you.

Good luck, man. If I were a member of the site, I'd totally vote for you. I enjoy your blog. It makes me laugh.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #1210
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Sign up for Hockeybuzz and vote! Sean said that if he wins this round he would do a hockey podcast with me!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #1211
MikeVic
Head Coach

Maple Leafs has a blog?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #1212
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Maple Leafs has a blog?

You spend too much time in the bathroom!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #1213
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
You spend too much time in the bathroom!

I can always bring my laptop to read the blog!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #1214
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Sign up for Hockeybuzz and vote! Sean said that if he wins this round he would do a hockey podcast with me!

I am registering now and shall place my vote!

Edit: I am registered and my vote was placed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-28-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #1215
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

apparently, I am a member.

but I have no clue how to vote.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #1216
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

just post in the thread that you like sean's blog better
Old 03-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #1217
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
apparently, I am a member.

but I have no clue how to vote.

Click on the "Comments" link and post in the thread that comes up. It's at the top of that page.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #1218
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

teehee funny

hxxp://puckthathit.com/2008/03/25/coach-review-star-wars-edition/
Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #1219
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Click on the "Comments" link and post in the thread that comes up. It's at the top of that page.
That's pretty much it. Just click on the comments thread, click "post", and then type "Hey, guy who wrote that first blog about attendance numbers of whatever it was, don't I know you from that pro-Hitler web site we both frequent? Heil Rangers!"

(I get the sense that the voting doesn't actually determine the winner -- it seems like an ESPN "What's Now" deal where they can overrule the results if they choose to. I'm up by a few votes right now, but watch Eklund find a way to screw me with the super-delegates.)
Old 03-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #1220
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes win a chippy, penalty-filled game 7-1 over Atlanta. Not much in the way of fighting, but the refs were awfully twitchy all night including hitting both benches with minors for begging to differ with the calls being handed out. Atlanta wound up with 51 penalty minutes and Carolina had 48.

End result leaves Carolina up four points on Washington with four to play for both teams. Both play tomorrow night, Washington at Florida and Carolina at Tampa, but it'll essentially come down to the game in Washington next Tuesday to settle the division, most likely.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #1221
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

HUGE win for the Avs tonight, tying up the game with 8 seconds left and then beating the Oilers in the shootout. Edmonton now can't catch the Avs - they have to duke it out with Nashville (who moved into 8th tonight) and Vancouver (who dropped to 9th).

Forsberg, Stastny and Hejduk are looking like a crazy good line. Unfortunately, Forsberg didn't play in OT and didn't come out for the stars of the game announcements.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #1222
Travis
Pro Rookie

MacTavish should be shot for leaving Staios out there at the end of the third. How do you only change half your defensive pairing, especially after Forsberg lost 3/4 of his stick up Staios' backside? Absolutely unreal.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #1223
Bad-example
College Starter

Sharks knock off the Ducks in LA and take the division and number 2 seed. Man oh man I hope they meet again in the playoffs.

Really hoping SJ can shake the "soft" image and do some damage this year.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 PM   #1224
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sharks have the Ducks number right now. That being said Ducks aren't much without Giguere, Pronger, Getzlaf and Perry (and yes, I know Boucher was in goal for the Sharks tonight)

Should be a great series if it happens. I can definitely see the Sharks winning the cup this year, but typically you don't win without a great blueline. We'll see.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #1225
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Rangers hockey star Sean Avery's name and private cell phone number are in the little black book of Manhattan madam Kristin Davis.

Avery, 27, a trash-talking enforcer who has dated a string of models and actresses, is listed as a $500 client of brothel Maison de L'Amour.

Maison de L'Amour was the madam's midrange prostitution service, farming hookers out to Manhattan hotels for $500 dates. High-rollers went to her Wicked Models service, where prices started at about $1,200 and went upward of $3,900.

His ex-girlfriends include supermodel Rachel Hunter and "24" cutie Elisha Cuthbert. Maxim magazine described him as No. 1 in "Hollywood hookups" - presumably the kind you don't have to pay for.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #1226
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Rangers hockey star Sean Avery's name and private cell phone number are in the little black book of Manhattan madam Kristin Davis.

Avery, 27, a trash-talking enforcer who has dated a string of models and actresses, is listed as a $500 client of brothel Maison de L'Amour.

Maison de L'Amour was the madam's midrange prostitution service, farming hookers out to Manhattan hotels for $500 dates. High-rollers went to her Wicked Models service, where prices started at about $1,200 and went upward of $3,900.

His ex-girlfriends include supermodel Rachel Hunter and "24" cutie Elisha Cuthbert. Maxim magazine described him as No. 1 in "Hollywood hookups" - presumably the kind you don't have to pay for.

Maybe they'll do something other than BOO Jagr tomorrow afternoon at the Mellon Arena.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #1227
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Well, it's now nervous time. Carolina gives up a tough loss at Tampa while Washington blitzes the Panthers, cutting the lead to two points with three to play. The next one is the big one, though, as the Canes go to Washington on Tuesday. If Carolina can win in regulation, they'll clinch on tiebreakers. Otherwise, it's going to the end. It's also not helping my stress level in that all the remaining teams at the bottom of the playoff standings keep winning, thus increasing the likelihood that only the Southeast winner is getting into the playoffs (Carolina is tied in points with 8th-place Boston, but are only three points behind 4th-place New Jersey).

I've also had my superstition confirmed. I've been avoiding wearing team colors on the day of a game in recent weeks and Carolina has been playing very well in that time. I forgot they were on a back-to-back night today and wore one of my Carolina shirts. Of course, they lost. Must remember to wear anything but red on Tuesday.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #1228
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Holy shit this NBC intermission show is one big clusterfuck!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #1229
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

The Avs clinch a playoff berth with a big win to the Canucks. Vancouver led 2-0, but the Avs scored 3 goals in 5 minutes in the second. And then this late-season call-up, some Swedish kid, ices the game on a breakaway in the 3rd. He looks like he might be a good one...
Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #1230
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's too bad to see the Oilers lose. They really put forth quite an effort the last 20 or so game this season. The future looks pretty bright in Edmonton. Assuming their young guys continue to develop and they can stay healthy, the Oilers have a solid foundation.

I never like to pick who I'd like to see the Wings face in the playoffs, but I wouldn't mind seeing Nashville. They don't quite scare me as much as the other teams and they are in the Central time zone. The fewer 10:00 or 10:30 pm EST starts, the better. Those really suck. I am an old man now. I can't stay up until 1:30 in the morning and still function properly the next day at work.

It was good to see the Caps win. The atmosphere looked amazing in the MCI or Verizon Center or whatever it's called nowadays. I will be in DC for a wedding this weekend and we're going to go to the game on Thursday night. It should be a lot of fun and it'll be nice to go to a game with some meaning. Looking forward to seeing Ovechkin and my old boy Fedorov live again.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #1231
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's too bad to see the Oilers lose. They really put forth quite an effort the last 20 or so game this season. The future looks pretty bright in Edmonton. Assuming their young guys continue to develop and they can stay healthy, the Oilers have a solid foundation.

I never like to pick who I'd like to see the Wings face in the playoffs, but I wouldn't mind seeing Nashville. They don't quite scare me as much as the other teams and they are in the Central time zone. The fewer 10:00 or 10:30 pm EST starts, the better. Those really suck. I am an old man now. I can't stay up until 1:30 in the morning and still function properly the next day at work.

It was good to see the Caps win. The atmosphere looked amazing in the MCI or Verizon Center or whatever it's called nowadays. I will be in DC for a wedding this weekend and we're going to go to the game on Thursday night. It should be a lot of fun and it'll be nice to go to a game with some meaning. Looking forward to seeing Ovechkin and my old boy Fedorov live again.

A ton of things can happen to get in the way of this, of course, but if standings and seedings hold through the first round, Ducks versus Wings in the second round. How's that for a second round matchup? Should be fun if it happens, but there's a lot to play before that (including our first round opponents).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #1232
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Whether Washington makes the playoffs or not, Ovechkin should be the MVP. He is just sick.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 AM   #1233
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Whether Washington makes the playoffs or not, Ovechkin should be the MVP. He is just sick.

I totally agree. I have no feelings whatsoever for Washington as a team, but Ovechkin is probably the best hockeyplayer in the world right now. He scores goals like Jaromir Jagr or Pavel Bure in their heydays, he's not afraid of playing physical, and he just LOVES playing hockey.

Just imagine what would have happened if Pittsburgh had gotten to keep their pick in that draft and not lost the lottery to Washington. Crosby and Ovechkin on the same team.. wowzer.. not that Malkin is a bad hockey player, but OV8.. like you said, he's just sick.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #1234
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I totally agree. I have no feelings whatsoever for Washington as a team, but Ovechkin is probably the best hockeyplayer in the world right now. He scores goals like Jaromir Jagr or Pavel Bure in their heydays, he's not afraid of playing physical, and he just LOVES playing hockey.

Just imagine what would have happened if Pittsburgh had gotten to keep their pick in that draft and not lost the lottery to Washington. Crosby and Ovechkin on the same team.. wowzer.. not that Malkin is a bad hockey player, but OV8.. like you said, he's just sick.

Had Pittsburgh won the lottery in '04, they'd have had one less ping-pong ball in the '05 (Crosby) lottery. So we might be looking at Ovechkin and Bobby Ryan...I'll take Crosby and Malkin.

Note- this conveniently leaves out that the NHL fixed the '05 lottery to get Crosby to Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 04-02-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #1235
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Move along...nothing to see here

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-02-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: stupidity
Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #1236
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

There is now a very realistic scenario that would see Ottawa miss the playoffs.

They would need to be passed by four teams -- the Hurricans, Flyers, Bruins and Caps. But the Flyers and Bruins are each one point behind with a game in hand, and the Caps and Hurricans are two points back and own the tie-breakers against Ottawa.

So if the Sens lose both their final two games, there's a very good chance they're out. And if they win one and lose one, they could still get passed by everyone.

Pretty amazing for a team that started 15-2 and had everyone writing stories about "in the age of parity, it's Ottawa and then everyone else".
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #1237
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Don't forget, the Crosby lottery came down to the Penguins and Ducks.

Think Anaheim would be any good the past few years with him instead of Ryan?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #1238
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I was just about to post something about Ottawa missing the playoffs. Also since the Caps fired their coach they have been the 2nd best team in the east to Pittsburgh. If they end up the 3rd seed, all hope of finishing 6th being the lucky team go out the window. Also, the Caps and Canes could make the playoffs which could stack up Washington against potentially the Pens or the Habs. So much for finishing #1 or #2.

I am really worried about the Flyers chances of making the playoffs right now. They play tonight @ Pittsburgh, Friday vs NJ, and Sunday vs Pittsburgh. Even though the Flyers hold a 4 games to 2 edge against the Pens, they have been extremely out played in the last two games. Jersey has been struggling but that has not been a team the Flyers have historically had a good record against.

If Washington wins out, the Flyers need 4 pts in the last 3 games which will be tough. I'd love for the Flyers to win but if not I'd like an OT loss for 2 reasons. One they get one point and two the Pens clinch the Atlantic. Then on Sunday they might rest the majority of their players for the playoffs.

Washington has two games left against Tampa and Florida, both at home, and both teams play the Caps after playing Carolina the night before.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #1239
Pyser
Pro Rookie

with washington 10 points out of the playoffs, AO is no mvp.

with them right there, there's no question.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #1240
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Not that anyone cares but me...

The Philadelphia Flyers can clinch a playoff berth tonight with a win and a regulation loss by the Carolina Hurricanes. Carolina hosts the Tampa Bay Lightning at 7:00 p.m.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #1241
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just giggled at that idea a few months ago that all the Atlantic Division teams might make the playoffs. The Islanders were playing pretty decent hockey at the time, but jeez, they fell apart in a hurry.

I'm comfortable with the Devils in the #4 spot. If they get it, they could end up playing against the Rangers. I know that they still haven't beaten the Rangers this year, but I'd hold out hope that the Devils could win in the playoffs.

Silly me, I know.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #1242
Logan
Head Coach

Well, you didn't beat us during the '94 season and that didn't stop you from taking a 3-2 series lead back to the swamp.

Just sayin.

Last edited by Logan : 04-02-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #1243
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Well, you didn't beat us during the '94 season and that didn't stop you from taking a 3-2 series lead back to the swamp.

Just sayin.
ok i'm just gonna die now

thanks bye
Old 04-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #1244
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i honestly dont even know why i check into these threads

i am scared shitless of a rangers-devils playoff matchup. we just cant penetrate the "everyone collapse around the goal" defense of the rangers.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #1245
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not that anyone cares but me...

The Philadelphia Flyers can clinch a playoff berth tonight with a win and a regulation loss by the Carolina Hurricanes. Carolina hosts the Tampa Bay Lightning at 7:00 p.m.

So why are you even worrying about the outcome of the Carolina game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I just giggled at that idea a few months ago that all the Atlantic Division teams might make the playoffs. The Islanders were playing pretty decent hockey at the time, but jeez, they fell apart in a hurry.

I'm comfortable with the Devils in the #4 spot. If they get it, they could end up playing against the Rangers. I know that they still haven't beaten the Rangers this year, but I'd hold out hope that the Devils could win in the playoffs.

Silly me, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i honestly dont even know why i check into these threads

i am scared shitless of a rangers-devils playoff matchup. we just cant penetrate the "everyone collapse around the goal" defense of the rangers.

Don't feel bad...the Penguins can't solve them either, and have slightly better offensive talent.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #1246
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just want the Devils and Rangers to meet in the playoffs so Logan and I can rumble.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #1247
Captain2711
High School JV

What a turn of events in the devils-bruins game with the waving off a clear devils goal. I can only hope this is the difference between the Rangers getting home ice in the first round vs the Devils
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #1248
Logan
Head Coach

Bring it on Sloppy Poopers.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #1249
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain2711 View Post
What a turn of events in the devils-bruins game with the waving off a clear devils goal. I can only hope this is the difference between the Rangers getting home ice in the first round vs the Devils
I'm following tonight's action on NHL.com and was wondering why the score went from 2-1 Devils back to 1-1.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #1250
Captain2711
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I'm following tonight's action on NHL.com and was wondering why the score went from 2-1 Devils back to 1-1.

Devils scored a wrap around goal that was pinned inside the post. Thomas pushed the puck out and fired the puck into the corner in disgust. But there was actually no view of the puck over the line, but you can assume that the puck was in. They looked for like 10 minutes and there was just no view of it.