Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Stephen King- The dark tower

anyone read all of them. I am about halfway through The Wastelands and cant put it down

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

There's another big thread about this series.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, there's a huge thread. Suffice to say, there are plenty of DT junkies here.

Lathum, if you enjoy the books, I can't recommend enough the audio recordings available via Audible. The books are read by Frank Muller (one of the best in the business before his motorcycle accident) and George Guidall (no slouch himself), and they're easily among my most-listened to content on my iPod.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #4
Vince
Pro Starter

What SackAttack said -- absolutely amazing series, and even better via Audible.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
What SackAttack said -- absolutely amazing series, and even better via Audible.

It'll be even better once I can figure out how to convert this cassette recording of Muller reading The Gunslinger into MP3.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
KWhit
Coordinator

I love the series and love the audiobooks. It's great stuff.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've heard the audio books are fantastic. I am sure I will listen to them in a few years time.

I started reading this series when I was a freshman. . . in highschool. I finally finished it last year (I was 31). I loved it.

Great stuff, indeed.

There is another thread here, but it's chalk full of spoilers in the discussion. It's best left unviewed until you've finished the series.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-02-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

Yup, I've read them all too and will definately say do not open the other thread until you are done...

I wish a movie was feasible for this, but it would have to be like 10 different movies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Fantastic series, one of my all time favorites. And I agree that you need to stay out of the other thread until you're done with the series.

Just gonna say that I hope you enjoy "Wizard and Glass". It was my favorite book out of the series, but it appears to be a "love it or hate it" kind of book...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Just gonna say that I hope you enjoy "Wizard and Glass". It was my favorite book out of the series, but it appears to be a "love it or hate it" kind of book...

Probably my favorite as well.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So far I am really enjoying the wastlands. The visual aspect of it is awesome.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think I read the first one long ago, during my Stephen King phase. I'd stopped reading him for a long time, but picked up his recent short stories book that contains a prequelish short story about Roland and his encounter with some "nurses". Interesting stuff. Maybe I will start on the series again. Is it completed yet?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

I love Stephen King but have never tried this series simply because it just doesn't seem to fit into any kind of classification.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think I read the first one long ago, during my Stephen King phase. I'd stopped reading him for a long time, but picked up his recent short stories book that contains a prequelish short story about Roland and his encounter with some "nurses". Interesting stuff. Maybe I will start on the series again. Is it completed yet?

Has been for a year or two now. There's a comic series, seven issues, takes place during the story Roland tells in "Wizard & Glass," and I guess there's another such series that'll get published next year, though.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

That's not a very recent collection, FYI. It's an excerpt from Book 6, I believe, that came out long before book 6.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #16
jackyl
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
That's not a very recent collection, FYI. It's an excerpt from Book 6, I believe, that came out long before book 6.

He's talking about the Little Sisters of Eluria - a story from Everything's Eventual.
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl View Post
He's talking about the Little Sisters of Eluria - a story from Everything's Eventual.

Give the man a cigar!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #18
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I don't consider myself a SK fan but I read the series and the man does know how to write. It can be argued that he takes 7 books where he could have done it in 1, but, like Robert Jordan, if you like his writing you can put up with it.

Needless to say, you really get to know the characters.

No spoiler warning. I liked the series, was pissed at first about the ending but since then I don't think it could have ended any other way.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #19
jackyl
H.S. Freshman Team

It's worth trying to get into especially now that you can get every book in the series as a used paperback.
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #20
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl View Post

Yes, I know. And Everything's Eventual was released in 2002. Little Sisters of Eluria was actually originally published in 1998 in Legends (a collection of stories from several fantasy authors). My recollection was that it later showed up in Book 6, but I could be wrong.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #21
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The thing I loved about the series as it went on is that you started to discover that almost all of King's books had a connection to this universe he created. If you love the series then seeing something connected to it in a book that seemed completely independent from it was always cool, to me anyways.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's a very interesting series. I loved it. Well, I didn't really love the last book. I thought the very ending of the book was fantastic and really perfect, but most of the rest of Book VII was a complete let down. There was some terrible lameness in it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am about to start book 7.

Book 6 was hard to get through IMO
Old 10-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am about to start book 7.

Book 6 was hard to get through IMO

I loved Book 6. I thought it just breezed right by. Very fast-paced and lots of action. I think the entire thing takes place in the course of 1 day, if I recall correctly.

To avoid spoilers, King also pulled off the one thing I was most afraid of surprisingly well.

I much preferred it to Book 5 for the most part.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-25-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Fantastic series, one of my all time favorites. And I agree that you need to stay out of the other thread until you're done with the series.

I think I would have to agree. I think "Wizard and Glass" was my favorite as well. It's a bit of a toss-up between that and "Drawing of the Three", but I really, really loved "Wizard and Glass."

I started reading the series back in the late 80's (I think I was 12 or 13 when I started) and I finished the Dark Tower series in 2005. Those characters were with me for a long, long time, in particular, Roland.

While I wasn't thrilled with everything that happened at the end, I was glad to see it through.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #26
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I really didn't like Book 5, all the issues I have with King were molded into that book.

Wizard and Glass was far and away my favorite. I really enjoyed that, it was the peak of the series.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #27
KWhit
Coordinator

Loved this series.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Yes, I know. And Everything's Eventual was released in 2002. Little Sisters of Eluria was actually originally published in 1998 in Legends (a collection of stories from several fantasy authors). My recollection was that it later showed up in Book 6, but I could be wrong.

Yup. I actually have Legends, bought it just for "Little Sisters". But no, it never made it into any of the actual books...

Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 AM   #29
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I really didn't like Book 5, all the issues I have with King were molded into that book.

Can you explain that? (using spoiler tags where appropriate )

I liked/disliked them all equally. I'm not a huge fan of SK, as I've mentioned, but he can write a yarn even though I think he babbles on 10 times longer than he needs to.

Overall, I'm glad I read them, but I'm not diving back in any time soon.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #30
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Huge book for a small story and nothing all that interesting happens until very near the end.

None of the other books in the series suffered from that, in my opinion. They could be long winded but there was always a lot of stuff going on.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #31
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Yup. I actually have Legends, bought it just for "Little Sisters". But no, it never made it into any of the actual books...

Maybe I think that because I read it in both Everything's Eventual and Legends.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #32
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't want to start a thread for this and this seems like a good thread for it since it is part of my quick review....

Duma Key, the latest Stephen King book, is pretty damn good IMO and is the best thing he has put out since the Dark Tower series came to a close. I like the characters, I like the story. I am nearing the end am in the middle of the climax right now and it has kept me wanting to read more. Lizzie or whatever it was called, was I think his first book I have not bother finishing. Cell was pretty good, and the other book about the kidnapping wasn't bad, but this is the best in a while.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #33
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm probably just a bit behind you, Cringe, and am enjoying the hell out of it as well...

Lizzie? Do you mean Lisey's Story? I finished it, but I'll agree that it wasn't anything fabulous...

Old 03-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #34
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Lisey's Story is the one. See, I didn't even bother remembering the name.

Last edited by Cringer : 03-27-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote