Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

MLB: The most intriguing off season storyline isn't A-Rod ..

It is the potential trade of the best player in the NL Miguel Cabrera. He is already drawing comparisons to A-Rod and he's 24 years old with a new contract looming. The Marlins are going to field offers and frankly, a potential trade for Cabrera could be twice as huge as any 300 million dollar contract A-Rod gets.

Chances are teams would have to deal one young major leaguer who is a bonafided top 10 guy at his position as well as two of their best young farm hands and I can see this deal getting made to a team like Boston or the Yanks, or if they're smart, the tema with the most to offer then Angels.

I think this is the story of the off season, hopefully I am not the only one.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Why would they trade him in the offseason?

And if they do trade him they should be contracted right now
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

It's big, but I think AROD is still AROD. Cabrera is being compared to AROD, but AROD is still the one being used as a comparison.

Both will be big stories, as the team that gets either player will have improved a lot.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Why would they trade him in the offseason?

And if they do trade him they should be contracted right now

It's been reported a lot of places that they're looking at dealing him now when they can get the most for him.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, this year Cabrera made roughly 7.5 million, so when it's time for him to get a new deal I can see him getting between 15-20 mil per.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Anthony
Banned

this is so stupid. why are the Marlins even in existence if they can't even afford to keep a player like Cabrera? i don't understant why the MLB doesn't contract 4-5 teams, in any given year it's the same 5 or 6 huge market teams that really have a chance anyway. if as a franchise you can't afford to keep the one player worth paying then what are you in the business for? if not him, then who else are they willing to pay the money to? what a horrible franchise. at least in football if a team wants to keep someone they slap the franchise tag on him. at least he doesn't go anywhere.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
this is so stupid. why are the Marlins even in existence if they can't even afford to keep a player like Cabrera? i don't understant why the MLB doesn't contract 4-5 teams, in any given year it's the same 5 or 6 huge market teams that really have a chance anyway. if as a franchise you can't afford to keep the one player worth paying then what are you in the business for? if not him, then who else are they willing to pay the money to? what a horrible franchise. at least in football if a team wants to keep someone they slap the franchise tag on him. at least he doesn't go anywhere.

Can't say I disagree with one thing you say but this is the baseball world we live in.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

especially this was a world series winning team a few years ago that could have easily been kept together for a long time.

I hope Hanley Ramirez didn't unpack his bags.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
especially this was a world series winning team a few years ago that could have easily been kept together for a long time.

I hope Hanley Ramirez didn't unpack his bags.

He may be getting a new glove. Chances are he'll be starting in CF for the Marlins next year.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Anthony
Banned

so basically the Marlins, like the Expos were, are a glorified minor league team, who's sole purpose is to scout and develop young players and trade them to larger market teams who give the Marlins even younger players that will one day have to be traded to other large market teams. this is it, essentially. what a farce.

Carbera is the best hitter the Marlins have had since the championship season with Sheffield, and i would say Cabrera will have a better career when it's all done. Cabrera is one of the two best players to come into that org, the other being Beckett. so if you're the Marlins, you're telling me you can't compete every year having Beckett as your ace and Cabrera as the main piece in the lineup? you can't throw another 4 arms into the rotation to flesh it out and surround Cabrera with even avg. level talent? you can't win the NL East with that? what's the friggin point? if i wasn't so good at fantasy baseball i wouldn't even pay attention to the MLB anymore.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Baseball's been like this for over 100 years, people. Contraction isn't going to change that.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Desnudo
Coordinator

Except they've won the world series twice in their existence already. Maybe they'll never be a dynasty due to the economics, but they've already accomplished a lot more than some historical franchises have in many decades.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Oh good, I can't wait to hear all about whether he'll wind up with the Yankees or Red Sox. That rivalry is so exciting already, this will just take it to a whole new level of fascination for baseball fans everywhere.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
Anthony
Banned

the ultimate goal of a franchise is not to win a championship.

it's to win *many* championships. ask the Cubs. you don't want to win a championship in 1908 and say "well, our work here is done, let's call it a century". the goal is to build a team that can be a consistent winner over at least a decade.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Oh good, I can't wait to hear all about whether he'll wind up with the Yankees or Red Sox. That rivalry is so exciting already, this will just take it to a whole new level of fascination for baseball fans everywhere.

looking into my crystal ball, ARod leaves the Yanks (as expected), Cabrera goes to the Yanks with NY giving the Marlins one of their 2 young arms (Ian Kennedy?) and some overrated prospect.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Yeah, as a Jays fan I'm on the edge of my seat with the anticipation of so much excitement to come.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #17
dime
High School JV

it'd be great if the yankees hired girardi and also traded for cabrera...they'd be fistfighting in the dugout and the team would finish third and the sports guy's dog would take a poop or something. I can hardly wait!

florida and tampa are useless franchises, they have no fan base and no future.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #18
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
It is the potential trade of the best player in the NL Miguel Cabrera. He is already drawing comparisons to A-Rod and he's 24 years old with a new contract looming. The Marlins are going to field offers and frankly, a potential trade for Cabrera could be twice as huge as any 300 million dollar contract A-Rod gets.

Chances are teams would have to deal one young major leaguer who is a bonafided top 10 guy at his position as well as two of their best young farm hands and I can see this deal getting made to a team like Boston or the Yanks, or if they're smart, the tema with the most to offer then Angels.

I think this is the story of the off season, hopefully I am not the only one.

Intersting? Yes. But this doesn't touch the A-Rod story.

Cabrera's numbers are right in line with Manny's at the same stage. He'll probably end up getting moved to the outfield in the next couple years as well because he's getting fat.

When A-Rod opts out, I'm sure Cabrera is number 1 on the Yankees list of replacements and out of the teams interested they probably have the most to offer. Joba, Hughes, Melkey Cabrera, Tobata, and Ian Kennedy. Any combination of those guys is better than what the Red Sox or Angels could offer.

The Angels farm system doesn't appear as deep as everyone thought it was. They have the talent to make the deal, but I seriously doubt they'll give up Brandon Wood, which means they aren't going to put together an offer close to what the Yankees can.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
looking into my crystal ball, ARod leaves the Yanks (as expected), Cabrera goes to the Yanks with NY giving the Marlins one of their 2 young arms (Ian Kennedy?) and some overrated prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
When A-Rod opts out, I'm sure Cabrera is number 1 on the Yankees list of replacements and out of the teams interested they probably have the most to offer. Joba, Hughes, Melkey Cabrera, Tobata, and Ian Kennedy. Any combination of those guys is better than what the Red Sox or Angels could offer.

Looks like you two are in agreement. Young arm + some other overrated prospect for Cabrera

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #20
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
so basically the Marlins, like the Expos were, are a glorified minor league team, who's sole purpose is to scout and develop young players and trade them to larger market teams who give the Marlins even younger players that will one day have to be traded to other large market teams. this is it, essentially. what a farce.

Coincidentally (or maybe not), the Marlins and Expos have been owned by the same guy. Basically, he destroyed Montreal, got the other 29 teams to buy him out, then bought the Marlins from Huizenga.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

KISSIMMEE, Florida -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The All-Star third baseman will undergo a physical on Monday to complete the deal, the source said.

The contract is the richest in the Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

"Miguel just signed a big contract," said the source. "The contract will be completed when Miguel takes a physical on Monday."

Cabrera, 24, was eligible for arbitration in 2009 and could become a free agent after the season ended. He will earn $11.3 million in 2008, and then an average of $19 million per year through 2016.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #22
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hopefully that contract won't be strictly for food
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, that's a monster deal.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Hopefully that contract won't be strictly for food

Cabrera is ripped this year. He lost like 25 lbs. Now granted things can change but so far he's looking sick.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #25
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
KISSIMMEE, Florida -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The All-Star third baseman will undergo a physical on Monday to complete the deal, the source said.

The contract is the richest in the Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

"Miguel just signed a big contract," said the source. "The contract will be completed when Miguel takes a physical on Monday."

Cabrera, 24, was eligible for arbitration in 2009 and could become a free agent after the season ended. He will earn $11.3 million in 2008, and then an average of $19 million per year through 2016.

I think there's a danger with Cabrera, but the guy's a HOF level player - and the Tigers could have done a lot worse. I do worry that 2-3 years from now (when he will be moved off to 1b ), 19M a year will not look so hot, but the way baseball revenues are growing, it might not be an issue.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote