Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2003, 07:34 PM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

any football historians out there?

ok,
I'm currently working on a database of all the various pro football leagues (NFL, CFL, USFL, etc...) - basically it's going to break down each pro team (130+ and counting) on a year-by-year basis - league, division, conference, stadium, yada yada yada yada.

I've done a bunch of research, and I've got most of my data filled in, but I'm coming up dry on some stadium information - mostly for defunct teams from the 1920s.

So, I'm throwing it out there on the off-chance someone's got the details I'm missing...

First of all, looking for stadium capacity for 3 Buffalo-area stadiums from the 20's -
Canisius College Villa
Buffalo Baseball Park
Bison Stadium

also, looking for the name and capacity for the Canton Bulldogs - you'd think I could find info on this one pretty easily.

(note, I recognize these aren't necessarily true "stadiums" in the modern sense of the words - a "rough guess" on capacity is all I need, and, really, based on the era I'll end up doing that anyway if no one has more concrete info)

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I thought the bulldogs played in the stadium that is next to the hall of fame. Currently it is a high school stadium but they play the hall of fame game there. The hall of fame games website (if it exists) may be a place to look.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I love this sort of stuff.

Here's some help at guessing the Bison Stadium info:

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/Buffalolegend/

Quote:
The Herd kicked off the 1924 season on October 5 by defeating the Columbus Tigers 13 to 0 in Buffalo’s new Bison Stadium before 5,000 fans. But the Bisons dropped to 1-1 the following week by losing 7 to 0 to the visiting Dayton Triangles.

Quote:
On October 19, the team welcomed the archrival Rochester Jeffersons to the new stadium. Benny Boynton starred for the Bisons, scoring all but six points in leading the Bisons to a convincing 26-0 drubbing of the lowly Jeffs before some 3,500 loyalists

Quote:
On November 16, playing in front of a sparse home crowd of 2,700, due mainly to the season’s first severe snow storm...
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Stadium at the HOF is called Fawcett Stadium. Not sure about the capacity. Yes, it was a stadium for the Canton Bulldogs. I won't say for certain it was THE stadium, but I do know at one time or another they did play there. It was a major reason for the location of the HOF. This is supposedly the (or at least A) spot where Jim Thorpe played pro football
Old 07-02-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

dola:

got this from http://www.bisons.com/history_1920.php3

While this is apparently talking about a minor league baseball team. I personally find it highly unlikely that two teams in the same town would build two stadiums with the exact same name, each opening the same year. My best guess would be that this is it.

Quote:
1924 (Int.)
The Courier contest to name the new stadium drew 60,000 entries. Angelo LoPresto, a 15-year-old resident of Father Baker’s Home, was first in with the winning name, Bison Stadium, and won four box seat tickets and four season tickets.

It was said the stadium seated 15,000 (later counts showed this to be a 2,000-seat exaggeration) and could accommodate 20,000. "A half-million dollar stadium," crowed the local papers. Actually, it cost $265,000.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

And if you are able convince Arlie to use all of this information into TPF, I will marry you, DD.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

http://www.billsbackers.com/1924Bisons.htm

Another nice Buffalo Bisons/Bills link. Every page I've found talks about the Bison stadium, not claiming any sort of team ownership over it. (I.e. nothing like "opened up their new stadium...) I'm pretty confident that everything I've found is talking about the same one, so it looks like it seated 13,000 but could hold 20,000.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 07-02-2003 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:46 PM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
And if you are able convince Arlie to use all of this information into TPF, I will marry you, DD.

that's been my goal (the TPF thing, not the marrying you part).
they've seen the db, and I've tried to set it up to make it "programmer-friendly"...but no committment.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:07 PM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

cool find on the Bison stadium - I think 13,000 is a good number for that.

still looking at Canton - google references are a bit sketchy, but it seems MOST sites list it being built in 1937 (long after the Bulldogs folded), and renamed from whatever it was to "Fawcett Stadium" during a big renovation in 1997.

Other references list it being built originally in 1924, but can't find any listing for an actual name ecxecpt for "Stadium Park", but I think that refers more to the grounds around it.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
cool find on the Bison stadium - I think 13,000 is a good number for that.

still looking at Canton - google references are a bit sketchy, but it seems MOST sites list it being built in 1937 (long after the Bulldogs folded), and renamed from whatever it was to "Fawcett Stadium" during a big renovation in 1997.

Other references list it being built originally in 1924, but can't find any listing for an actual name ecxecpt for "Stadium Park", but I think that refers more to the grounds around it.

Agreed, The only definite Canton number I could find was 7,000 people attending one home game.

http://www.footballresearch.com/arti...cfm?topic=1916

Quote:
Despite Cleveland's star-studded lineup, Parratt's club was no match for the Bulldogs' in a November 5 meeting at Canton. Thorpe ran for two touchdowns and returned a punt for a third as Canton won 27-0 in front of a crowd reported at 7,000. The next week,
Old 07-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

ok, still looking for:
Canisius College Villa (Buffalo)
Buffalo Baseball Park

Canton's stadium and capacity

and any info on the stadium that Duluth Eskimos / Kelleys may have played in from 1925-1927 (they were around for 2 years before that, but didn't play any home games).
Old 07-02-2003, 09:36 PM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

next up for Packers fans:
any info on "Hagermeister" Park - the Packer's home for 21 and 22 and then "Bellevue Park" ('23 and '24), which appears to have had a capacity of around 6,000.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:46 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

proof on the Bison stadium being the same one for both baseball/football:

Quote:
Buffalo management moved the game from the usual home site at Canisius Villa to the larger Buffalo Baseball Park

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/andersonstory/
Old 07-02-2003, 09:51 PM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Sunday, November 6, 1921—Guyon, now a member of the Cleveland Tigers, picks off a pass and races 75 yards for a touchdown before 7,000 fans at Buffalo’s Canisius Villa. But it is not enough, as Buffalo holds on to win, 10 to 6.

http://www.daytontriangles.org/allamericans112721.htm

that site lists a crowd of 3,500 for a game vs. Dayton at Canisius Villa.