Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2003, 10:16 PM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

White Sox to add Everett

Alomar and Everett! What a joyous day! I think we have a chance to be over .500 now!

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:20 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wow. What is the "sulking" factor with Frank Thomas AND Carl Everett on the same team?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

All we need is to bring Albert Belle back to complete the trifecta.

Bottom line is Carl Everett has been on playoff teams and so has Frank Thomas. As long as they both produce they can be raging, wife beating homosexual schizophrenics for all I care.

And FYI. The Rangers are still paying Everett's salary and the Mets are paying Alomar's.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:28 PM   #4
Ksyrup

It can turn out really well, or, if they tank, this season can go downhill really, REALLY fast. I think they made the right decision, though. That division is weak enough that they might as well take their best shot to get into the playoffs. They've got as good a chance as the Twins or Royals.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-01-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Well, I think that is exactly it. The White Sox have one month exactly to make their push. If they don't? Bye bye, Alomar and Everett and anybody else making more than a nickel. I feel somehwat optimistic, but given Kenny Williams track record, this has the definite potential of blowing up in our face. But only 2 games out this will give a huge psychological boost to the White Sox that the front office is finally serious about winning. And I think since both Alomar and Everett are in contract years they will both have the motivation to play well.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Awwww, the cute little White Sox fans getting so excited.

Only to have their hopes dashed by the mean word of baseball.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:45 AM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Seems like a win-win for the White Sox.

If they do well, they might make the postseason.

If they do poorly, they can turn around and dump Everett and Alomar very easily, since their salaries are already paid.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 02:39 AM   #8
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

No real biggie if Alomar walks after the season since the Sox would get a 1st round pick as compensation, though it should be pointed out they gave up their 2002 #1 pick as part of the deal to land Robbie.

Not sure if Everett is in the last year of his deal or not, but if so he'd also net the Sox a 1st-rounder.

Of course, there's no guarantee the Sox would use those picks wisely...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:36 AM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think the White Sox are making good moves here. The AL Central is by far the most winnable division in baseball, so the White Sox should go for it.

I sometimes wonder about the White Sox management.. Chicago is supposed to be the big market team in that division, yet they have not been much of anything for a few years. Maybe this is a sign that they actually might consider trying to win now.

Not a bad low risk move in either case in my opinion.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #10
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Sigh, to trade the future away for a long shot. Yes, the Chisox can certainly win the weak AL Central, but does anyone really think this is a World Series team? First you have to get around the fact this team is bound to give new meaning to the term "surly". Smells more of desparation than inspiration. Think about it, the Mets and Rangers were so willing to get rid of Everett and Alomar they were willing to pay their salaries after they left? These are not the normal transactions here. As I said in the Alomar thread, I believe Rocker is still available.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:27 PM   #11
Ksyrup

Winning the WS isn't really the goal - well, it is, of course - but just getting into the playoffs (a) makes money for the team and (b) gives the team a more marketable product ffor the future. And making acquisitions like this demonstrates (in theory anyway) that the team wants to win, even if it doesn't work out.

Once you get into the playoffs, any team has a shot to win. Seriously. Regardless of how they do, the fact that they made these deals should give their fans something to be happy about. This a far cry from the sell-off they had a few years back when they were just 3 games out of 1st but traded away all of their veterans for prospects.

Every team's goal should be to get to the playoffs. After that, it's largely a crap shoot. I don't recall the specifics, but aside from the 1998 Yankees, I think the team with the top overall record has only won a small percentage of WS titles over the past 25 years.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:49 PM   #12
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

The only major prospect the White Sox have given up is Royce Ring, who is a closer. Closers typically have short shelf lifes. Even if he does turn out, I don't think too many people will regret the decision.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:10 PM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

If these two guys walk, do they get the 1st round pick from the team that signs them plus an extra 1st at the end of the round?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 02:26 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

it depends.. there is a measurement system in place to measure the value of a free agent.. An example in last year's offseason..

The mets signed both Cliff Floyd and Tom Glavine as free agents. Floyd was rated the higher free agent, so Boston got the Mets first round pick and a compensation pick. THe braves ended up with the 2nd round picks..

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:38 PM   #15
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Everyone can be as analytical as they like. On paper, I admit this looks great for the Chisox. But if "on paper" was what counted the Mets would have won it all last year, and they stunk. Everyone said before the year started Chicago made all the right moves to win the division, and they still stunk. I like the Alomoar move, but only if that was all they did. I really believe getting Everett cancels that deal out. He is a poison and has been everywhere he has gone. Not like Alomar has been the best influence either. I admit, he's the best 2nd baseman of his generation, but controversy follows him everywhere. Chicago has a weak manager and that won't help. They have, and have had for some time, the most talent in that division, and it hasn't mattered thus far.

I also disagree that the playoffs are the goal. The playoffs are so diluted now that the fans don't care if that's all they do. In these days of wildcard berths, no one remembers who one the AL Central 1998, or who was last year's wildcard. Getting to, and winning the series are all that anyone remembers and all that anyone cares about. This may be a team made to win a weak division, but it is not a team made to win the Series.