Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Overrated Stats Thread

Every sport has stats that are so overblown and over analyzed that certain guys make a living because one stat line makes them seem like a guy who contributes then generally that isn't the case, but if it is, it's overblown. So what are stats you guys feel, in any sport, are generally used as gospel when judging a guy that mean nothing? I'll start with .

NHL - +/-

Plus/Minus is used a lot by analysts or beat writers and used as a big determining factor in how a guys playing. While it does show certain trends, I find it laughable how it can carry so much weight. If a guy's +/- is a + 30, then yeah, he's doing something right, and if it's -20, then year, hes probably not doing his job, but all that in between area can help inflate/deflate someones game based on how good the team they play on is. It's always something that bothered me.

MLB - Batting Average + Saves

Alex Sanchez and Juan Pierre each hit over .300. Need I say more? The guys got hits every so often but never walked, never drove in runs but they did steal some bases (but they were ineffective) yet .300 is some twisted benchmark in baseball. Batting average to me doesn't mean anything and those exampls provided prove it.

Saves are a way for a one inning pitcher to make huge money. There are only several elite closers who are worht the money the save has created. Further proof is Joe Borowski and Todd Jones had 40 + saves and are nothing more then average MLB pitchers who make more then more talented guys who are stuck working 7th and 8th innings.
NBA - Assists

The simple fact the assist rules don't apply to everyone equally should be enough for this to not mean anything. Creating shots for others doesn't always mean a great feed, it can be setting as simple as setting a screen. If assists weren't so highly valued Steve Nash wouldn't have two undeserved MVP's in his possession.

So what do you guys feel are overrated stats?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

I agree with all of those, but will throw out one that most will disagree with:

Championships/"Rings".

I'm annoyed by this concept that everyone's a failure unless they won a championship. It's kind of depressing - there's 30+ teams in every major professional league now, so any given team is pretty lucky to have even one championship in a generation. It's the rare sports fans these days that can take joy in a mere winning team that he likes. There's always a disappointment at the end of the year if they don't win everything.

It's even worse when talking about individual players, and measuring value/worth based on the number of "rings".

Last edited by molson : 03-16-2008 at 04:33 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I agree with all of those, but will throw out one that most will disagree with:

Championships/"Rings".

I'm annoyed by this concept that everyone's a failure unless they won a championship. It's kind of depressing - there's 30+ teams in every major professional league now, so any given team is pretty lucky to have even one championship in a generation. It's the rare sports fans these days that can take joy in a mere winning team that he likes. There's always a disappointment at the end of the year if they don't win everything.

It's even worse when talking about individual players, and measuring value/worth based on the number of "rings".

Agreed with that. Now I can understand if a guy played horribly in the post season that maybe it could apply. But if a guy continually brings it in the playoffs but has no help I have a hard time with that.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hell, even W-L record is rough on pitchers in the MLB. A guy who throws a 1-run complete game and loses 1-0 does not deserve a loss.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

MLB - Batting Average + Saves

Alex Sanchez and Juan Pierre each hit over .300. Need I say more? The guys got hits every so often but never walked, never drove in runs but they did steal some bases (but they were ineffective) yet .300 is some twisted benchmark in baseball. Batting average to me doesn't mean anything and those exampls provided prove it.

Saves are a way for a one inning pitcher to make huge money. There are only several elite closers who are worht the money the save has created. Further proof is Joe Borowski and Todd Jones had 40 + saves and are nothing more then average MLB pitchers who make more then more talented guys who are stuck working 7th and 8th innings.

Huh?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote