Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Mets Trade Alomar to White Sox!

http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0701/1575307.html

Alomar goes to Chicago for minor leagues Royce Ring and Edwin Amointe and infielder Andrew Salvo.

Anyone here know anything about the prospects going the other way?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Jon
High School Varsity

Somethings never change ---- just like the old GM, the Mets pay their players to play for other teams....
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So can I turn this into a thread about: Who is greater? Roberto Alomar or Nap Lajoie ?

I dont know much about the prospects in the deal. This trade could affect a few teams though as it is a clear sign the White sox do not intend to be sellers initially. There were several teams looking to try to get colon or Gordon, and with the White sox getting back in the race, they might not have the chance now.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

San Diego, Toronto, Baltimore, Cleveland, New York, Chicago, and whoever he signs with in the off-season...

Anyone know what the record is for most teams played for by a hall-of-famer?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:28 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I dont know if it is a record, but I remember it being a big deal when Gaylord Perry went in the hall. I think he played for 8 or 9 teams. Can't remember for sure.

Old 07-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Anyone know what the record is for most teams played for by a hall-of-famer?

The answer has got to be Gaylord Perry. After him, though, I don't have a clue.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #7
Ksyrup

Great minds think alike.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Great minds think alike.

Unfortunatly... my mind isn't that great
Old 07-01-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd more happier with this deal if instead of Alomar, it was Benitez being sent to Chicago .
Old 07-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #10
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan T
Unfortunatly... my mind isn't that great

Honest minds think alike.

Oh wait, I'm an attorney. I guess I have no explanation for it, then.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #11
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
I'd more happier with this deal if instead of Alomar, it was Benitez being sent to Chicago .

I never understood why the White Sox gave up on Foulke last year, and then why they traded him for the ultimately more expensive Koch. Foulke had like a bad week or two, and as a result, lost his job permanently, despite pitching great as a setup/middle reliever for the rest of the season. It was like they were waiting for him to fail, and when he did, they pulled the plug.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #12
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

Royce Ring was the main guy that the Mets wanted. A former first round pick for the White Sox. He was the so called closer of the future for the Sox.

The other two are uknown. They may be scrubs or may be hidden gems. I think that since the Mets got Royce Ring that it means Armando Benitiz is definatley on the trading block.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Superman, thanks . That's good news that they have someone to take over from Benitez. Hopefully Boston overbids for him or something .
Old 07-01-2003, 02:36 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

Re: Mets Trade Alomar to White Sox!

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
Alomar goes to Chicago for minor leagues Royce Ring and Edwin Amointe and infielder Andrew Salvo.

Anyone here know anything about the prospects going the other way?

Royce Ring was the ChiSox's top pick in 2002 out of San Diego State - a bit weird, as he projects to be a short-duty left handed reliever. He lacks the durability to start (in all likelihood) but at 22 or 23 is pretty close to being ready to help out. Not a great upside, but is effective enough against RH batters that he might be useful beyond the "get out one or two lefties" role that many LHP get relegated to. Decent pickup - but probably not a tremendously high ceiling.

Edwin Almonte has been in the Sox system for a few years, and has an effective change-up which is his best pitch. He's 27 years old, I believe, so he is pretty much done progressing. He ought to be a potentially useful reliever right away, and could conitnue maturing with his ability to change speeds.

I'm not familiar with Salvo - I assume he's a ways away from contributing at teh major league level. But overall, the two pitchers look like decent (but not great) prospects who are geared toward contributing right away - like 2003 or 2004.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:36 PM   #15
korme
Go Reds

Henderson has played for quite a few teams, and ought to be a Hall of Famer.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:40 PM   #16
Ksyrup

Since the Mets ate Alomar's entire salary, they should get something of value for him. That's the way it is these days - if the trading team eats the salary, they get good prospects in return. If it is a salary dump, they get scrubs. It's a sliding scale in between, subject, of course, to the value of the player being traded for.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:46 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman=#54
I think that since the Mets got Royce Ring that it means Armando Benitiz is definatley on the trading block.

Here's what Ring has been up to as the closer for the Birmingham barons this season:

Code:
BIRMINGHAM BARONS Individual Statistics Thru Games of: 6/30/03 W-L Record: 40- 40 OPP PITCHER W-L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR HB BB SO WP AVG *Ring, Royce 1- 4 2.52 36 0 0 0 19 35.2 33 11 10 1 3 14 44 3 .237 Total-All Pitchers 40 3.83 80 5 679.1 336 44 306 39 40 2 25 703 289 35 579 .268

Those are pretty solid numbers, but keep in mind that he is 23 years old in AA ball. Not too bad, and he is able to throw hard for strikes. It wouldn't be a shock to see the Mets move Benitez and get back a short term "closer" while they groom this guy a bit more (despite him being left handed). Or, they could just toss this kid into the fire, and see what he can do.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:46 PM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Henderson has played for quite a few teams, and ought to be a Hall of Famer.

I believe Rickey has played for 6 or 7 teams. Just some of them he has played for them 2 or 3 different times.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:47 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's a clipping from the Barons' site, FYI:

Barons link

Royce Ring Traded To The New York Mets

Posted on Jul 1, 2003

The Chicago White Sox have announced that they have acquired second baseman and perennial All-Star Roberto Alomar from the New York Mets for three minor league prospects. Those three players are current Barons closer Royce Ring, former-Baron closer Edwin Almonte and infielder Andrew Salvo.

Ring, the White Sox number one draft choice from a year ago, is currently ranked third in the Southern League with 19 saves and sports a 1-4 record with a 2.52 ERA and leads the Barons with 36 appearances. He was named the Southern League pitcher of the week for the week of May 9th through May 15th after he recorded four saves in four chances for the Barons. Coming into the season, the highly touted closer from San Diego State was ranked by Baseball America as the 10th best prospect in the White Sox organization.

Almonte played for the Barons in 2000-01 with his most productive season coming as the team’s closer in 2001. During that season, Almonte set a Barons and Southern League record by recording 36 saves. Joe Valentine matched that number in 2002 but Almonte has been extremely productive as a closer. In the past two seasons, he has notched 62 saves to lead all of the minor leagues.

Salvo, a second baseman, started the season with High-A Winston-Salem but was sent down to Low-A Kannapolis after just six games. At Kannapolis, he hit .235, (23-for-98) with a homer and six RBI in marginal play. For his career he is a .284 (143-f0r-503) batter with five homers and 65 RBI in 151 minor league games. He was drafted in the 22nd round out of the University of Delaware in the June 2001 first-year player draft.

The deal ended Alomar’s disappointing 1½ years with the Mets where he was a bust batting just .262 with two bombs and 22 RBI this season. Roberto joins his brother Sandy Alomar Jr., who has played three-plus season in Chicago, on the White Sox roster
Old 07-01-2003, 02:47 PM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Don't the Mets already have a former Expos closer on their team? Strickland I think is there? Not the best in the world, but enough to hold them over?

Old 07-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #21
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I believe Rickey has played for 6 or 7 teams. Just some of them he has played for them 2 or 3 different times.

Actually, Rickey has played for the Oakland A's on an astounding 4 different occaisions.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:57 PM   #22
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Since the Mets ate Alomar's entire salary, they should get something of value for him. That's the way it is these days - if the trading team eats the salary, they get good prospects in return. If it is a salary dump, they get scrubs. It's a sliding scale in between, subject, of course, to the value of the player being traded for.

I made my comment b/c I think the Mets don't seem to understand the sliding scale approach and haphazardly do this whenever they trade. They paid Ventura's salary for last year when he was with the Yankees as well as David Justice's salary when he was with Oakland. I think it's just poor fiscal management on their part.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:45 PM   #23
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

If you've read Moneyball, Ring was the topic of some discussion in the book. Of course the book has no index so I can't look it up quickly, but I'm pretty sure that Beane liked Ring a lot, even if he was a bit of a reach in the first round. Jim Duquette with the Mad Dog this afternoon said that Kenny Williams told him that the White Sox would have promoted him this season if they felt they needed help in the bullpen down the stretch. The other two players in the deal are non-entities. I'd say the Mets did a decent job as last year Ray Durham didn't bring this much, and he was having a much better season.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:46 PM   #24
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Don't the Mets already have a former Expos closer on their team? Strickland I think is there? Not the best in the world, but enough to hold them over?

Tommy John surgery.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:06 PM   #25
Jets80
High School Varsity

As a die hard Mets fan.. I like the trade since Alomar has done absolutly nothing since he's been a Met.

I would love to see these 5 guys go as well. My list would be longer but the rest of the team which is on the DL

Tom Glavine - Sucks as a Met
Al Leiter - good but old, get what you can for him
Armando Benitez - Cant close a big game
Jeremy Burnitz - strikes out 3 times every 2 at bats
Roger Cedeno - Cant catch a ball if it fell in his mit
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:53 PM   #26
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Let me bring the intellectual White Sox side to the story. D'Angelo Jimenez has been dropping like a rock at second base, and has all the range of Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump. That being said, Alomar isn't what he once was, but at least he is an upgrade. Some have said all he needed to do was get out of New York to return to his normal numbers. I certainly hope so.

From the White Sox perspective this is their push. We are telling our guys we got one month to make a push for first place. If the White Sox slip after this deal do not be surprised to see Alomar go to another contender along with Bartolo Colon and other players. Luckily, the AL Central is so putrid we can still be bellow .500 and in the playoff hunt.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:50 AM   #27
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
If you've read Moneyball, Ring was the topic of some discussion in the book. Of course the book has no index so I can't look it up quickly, but I'm pretty sure that Beane liked Ring a lot, even if he was a bit of a reach in the first round.
Just finished reading this last night... I don't think they ever said anything positiove about Ring. The big thing for him was the Sox took him over the RHSP prospect that Oakland projected as the second best RHP prospect in the draft. Right before that the White Sox GM told Beane he was going to take the stud RHSP Oakland wanted. It was sort of a "Yes! We got our man! I can't believe they were so stupid to take a RP in the first round! And why did they bother to mis-direct us, we would never be so stupid to take a RP in the 1st round anyway!" moment.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:13 PM   #28
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Can't wait to see how many fights we get out of that clubhouse now that they got Carl Everett too. Alomar, Thomas, Everett... wait, isn't John Rocker a free agent again?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #29
Ksyrup

Don't forget, the Alomar's can tag-team now!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:53 PM   #30
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I seem to recall a certain team that had Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent reach the world series last year. Not saying the White Sox will, just saying that team chemistry is over-rated.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote