Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Ping: Mizzou B-ball fan.

You wanna explain to me why it is that the Nintendo Wii, which basically has USB ports as an afterthought, is able to recharge my Sixaxis controller while in standby mode, and the PS3 can't?

I mean, what the hell?

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
You wanna explain to me why it is that the Nintendo Wii, which basically has USB ports as an afterthought, is able to recharge my Sixaxis controller while in standby mode, and the PS3 can't?

I mean, what the hell?

You've probably pointed out why Folding is so popular. Save the world from cancer while charging your controllers. It's a win-win situation.

To be honest, I bought one of the recharging bases for my PS3 controllers (plugs into the wall). They run around $25 and you don't have to bother with USB cables on the front of the PS3. That worked best for me, but I certainly understand what you're saying. I use a recharge station for my Wii controllers as well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

The thing is, that only makes sense as an explanation if you assume that everybody who has a PS3 has broadband internet, or allows their kids to go onlin with the PS3, which i can tell you certainly isn't true.

So for the folks who don't/can't use the internet connectivity, I mean...what the hell?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well, you CAN charge your PS3 controllers by plugging them into your computer...which for most of us, is on all the time...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The thing is, that only makes sense as an explanation if you assume that everybody who has a PS3 has broadband internet, or allows their kids to go onlin with the PS3, which i can tell you certainly isn't true.

So for the folks who don't/can't use the internet connectivity, I mean...what the hell?

"I don't have an internet." - Coach Larry Smith, University of Missouri

I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps that's why a lot of PS3 owners on this board have a Wii. It's a $250 Sixaxis charger.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
"I don't have an internet." - Coach Larry Smith, University of Missouri

I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps that's why a lot of PS3 owners on this board have a Wii. It's a $250 Sixaxis charger.

The fun thing is the Xbox 360 will recharge its own controllers, but won't even recognize the Sixaxis as a device in need of charging. Or the Sixaxis won't recognize it. One or the other.

The Wii doesn't charge its own controllers, although it wouldn't be hard to design a charging cradle that would just plug into the Wii via USB. It WILL recharge the Sixaxis without any trouble.

The PS3? A $400+ (depending on when you ask) piece of engineering whose engineers apparently couldn't figure out how to keep a USB 2.0 port active when the machine is in standby.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The fun thing is the Xbox 360 will recharge its own controllers, but won't even recognize the Sixaxis as a device in need of charging. Or the Sixaxis won't recognize it. One or the other.

The Wii doesn't charge its own controllers, although it wouldn't be hard to design a charging cradle that would just plug into the Wii via USB. It WILL recharge the Sixaxis without any trouble.

The PS3? A $400+ (depending on when you ask) piece of engineering whose engineers apparently couldn't figure out how to keep a USB 2.0 port active when the machine is in standby.

I'm sure that the 360 not charging the Sixaxis likely means it won't recognize the controller. MS is pretty big on proprietary accessories (see HDD).

I'm just guessing here, but I would think that a firmware change could be done on the PS3 to make those USB ports active in standby, but I'll admit to not knowing for sure.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm sure that the 360 not charging the Sixaxis likely means it won't recognize the controller. MS is pretty big on proprietary accessories (see HDD).

I'm just guessing here, but I would think that a firmware change could be done on the PS3 to make those USB ports active in standby, but I'll admit to not knowing for sure.

We just had a firmware update last night. Dollars to donuts they didn't fix that.