Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #51
Anthony
Banned

if James stays in Cleveland, i look for him to tbe the basketball equivalent of Dan Marino. everyone would love to have a Dan Marino, but if you can get by with having an Eli Manning as your QB but having a really good overall team and win a championship (or two) - i know i would do it.

do you want a team with 2 HOFs in Malone and Stockton, or do you want the Pistons who don't have any sure HOF locks but have been one of the elite teams of the 00's? the only team i can think of that won a championship that was built around 1 elite player were the mid-90's Houston Rockets. those teams had Hakeem on them and that's it. yes, he had a really good supporting cast - Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, a young Sam Cassell - but that's what James doesn't have. he's just one guy who calls Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden his teammates. now if Carlos Boozer had stayed in Cleveland - they woulda won a championship by now. i truly believe it.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #52
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm trying to think of a way I'd be convinced to trade LeBron..I guess it would be one "8" or "9" level player, an "8" or "7" level player, and three first round draft picks....Maybe..
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #53
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I would trade LeBron for Pumpy Tudors, but not Pumpy Tudors and Hell Atlantic.
But you have to match the salaries, and Hell Atlantic is BALLIN'!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #54
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I'm trying to think of a way I'd be convinced to trade LeBron..I guess it would be one "8" or "9" level player, an "8" or "7" level player, and three first round draft picks....Maybe..

EXACTLY. that's what i'm saying.

LeBron to Dallas. Cleveland gets Josh Howard, Jason Terry and 2 first round picks. Dallas gets to win 2 or 3 championships and the Cavs maybe get to win a couple Eastern Conference titles and get lucky one year and steal a championship after one of the draft picks develops into a great complimentary intangibles Tayshaun Prince type player. where do i sign?

Last edited by Anthony : 02-07-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #55
st.cronin
General Manager

I would trade LeBron for Pumpy Tudors and Jenna Jameson.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #56
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post

LeBron to Dallas. Cleveland gets Josh Howard, Jason Terry and 2 first round picks. where do i sign?
And if Cleveland makes that deal, what do they get out of it long-term? No appreciably bigger shot at a championship and a drop in attendance? How does this help them?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #57
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

LeBron to Dallas. Cleveland gets Josh Howard, Jason Terry and 2 first round picks. where do i sign?

How does that help you? Howard isn't as good as LeBron. Never will be. 2 lousy first round picks and Jason Terry at 9 mil + a year. You add on in salary and get worse overall.

Unless you think 30 year old Jason Terry is the missing link.

That team gets beat by Boston and Detroit easily.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #58
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Unless you think 30 year old Jason Terry is the missing link.
Have you seen the shape of his head? I think he just might be.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #59
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:

LeBron to Dallas. Cleveland gets Josh Howard, Jason Terry and 2 first round picks. Dallas gets to win 2 or 3 championships and the Cavs maybe get to win a couple Eastern Conference titles and get lucky one year and steal a championship after one of the draft picks develops into a great complimentary intangibles Tayshaun Prince type player. where do i sign?

If people thought the Grizz. got bashed for moving Pau to soon, Ferry would be run out of the city if this trade went through. They may be able to pull out Jason Kidd with that crap offer, but Lebron James give me a break. Since Dallas will be winning the Title, what good does 2 or 3 1st round picks from them matter. Lots of 25+ picks, Yay.

Last edited by GreenMonster : 02-07-2008 at 01:08 PM.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #60
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

There isn't a chance that Howard, Terry, a couple late 1st picks, Anderson Varejao, Daniel Gibson and co will win you anything. Definitely not anymore than LeBron could basically by himself.

You asked what the point is if you can't surround him with the right players...Ferry is going to hope to get lucky. Right now, LeBron's supporting cast is passable. He'll use the next 10 years of LeBron's prime and hope that at some point, he gets lucky with a couple of his late picks, European signings, or a role player performs well above the abilities shown before joining the team.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #61
Anthony
Banned

fine. James and roster filler type for Josh Howard, Diop, Devin Harris and 2 firsts. bing, bang boom.

unless you think James is the 2nd coming of MJ, there is no team that doesn't have a dominant big man that will win a championship these days.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #62
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
fine. James and roster filler type for Josh Howard, Diop, Devin Harris and 2 firsts. bing, bang boom, 43 wins and a 2nd round exit.

Fixed.

I'm glad this thread came to light, as I would've endorsed you taking over for Isiah prior to this.

Last edited by Logan : 02-07-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #63
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Aaaaaand now we're back to basically trading one guy for an entire roster.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #64
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Diop? That guy sucks. And is a free agent after this year.

Howard and Devin Harris for LeBron? Wtf?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i guess i'd just be a different GM.

Actually, you'd be the former GM in a matter of months.
And you'd be hung in effigy.
And your house would be burned down.

The only real question is whether you'd be in it or not.

Sports is entertainment. Lebron is entertaining.
More entertaining than winning 10 more games a year, even if those games are playoff games.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #66
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Aaaaaand now we're back to basically trading one guy for an entire roster.

QUIT REPEATING THE SAME JOKES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

unless you think James is the 2nd coming of MJ

He is.

Last edited by stevew : 02-07-2008 at 02:21 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #68
wishbone
High School JV

IF you decide that trading Lebron is an option, it can't be an overnight type deal. You have to start smearing him in the press, get him arrested for speeding, possession. Get him to miss some appearances with orphans or cancer kids and start a few trade rumors like Roy, Oden and Aldridge from the Blazers for Lebron. Get people to stop treating him like a king and you can do whatever you want, but no a year after he takes his team to the finals with 11 other guys tied to him.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #69
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He is.

Except he will be better.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-07-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #70
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Except he will be better.

Or maybe he's peaked. Like how Pumpy peaked in jr high.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #71
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Or maybe he's peaked. Like how Pumpy peaked in jr high.

No reason to think that either of them has. They've shown signs of improving their game every year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #72
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

yea tudors is not low in the game, no matter what some guy at a poker table says
Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Some names I've heard the Cavs are interested in. A lot of problems with any of the trades is that the majority of the Cavs contracts expire after next season, which makes them less attractive for a swap right now.

Mike Bibby-Deal should have gotten done last year, but apparently Petrie was dicking around too much. Still could be a possibility this year, but with Anderson hurt, you can't just trade Gooden right now. And I think Petrie wants Kenny Thomas(3 years 24ish million) included, which right now is a horrid concept to consider taking back. This one could still get done, but I strongly doubt it.

Mike Miller-Ideally this is the guy I'd like to see us get, although Memphis isn't going to give him away from cheap. I think the Cavs will try to make a play for him, although it also depends on if they are forced to take back Brian Cardinal's huge deal. Sasha Pavlovic being hurt is a problem with this one, as Memphis supposedly liked him in the past, but he's seriously injured right now. And he played like shit all year.

Andre Miller-Supposedly the Sixers want a ton for Miller, and I don't think the Cavs can put together a good deal for him. I'd like to see him back in Cleveland, but I doubt it happens. Also to get Miller you'd be looking at taking back a substantially shitty player on a big contract. Something like Reggie Evans. Doubt anything happens, although maybe the Sixers will re-evaluate and warm to taking Eric Snow, Ira Newble and a #1 for him. Not holding my breath.

Jason Kidd-Just don't see this one happening, mainly cause his salary is so large that the cavs would have to include a ton of shitty players to make the deal work. Right now the main sweetner young player for any deal is Daniel Gibson, and he's not enough to get a trade done on his own. Don't see this one happening.

Ferry will most likely make a smaller deal over the next couple weeks, hopefully being able to bring in another rotation player that's better than what we have now.

The teams roster is fatally flawed, but they have been playing very good basketball over the past season and a half with a lineup of Hughes/Sasha/LeBron/Gooden/Z. If/when they get back to full strength, they may be able to go on another run this year.

When you have the best player on the world on your team(sorry Kobe), it tends to make up for some lackluster supporting help. Someone will have to step up this year.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #74
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He is.

Stop it.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #75
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
McGrady and Yao? No way. They are not exactly ripping up the league on their current team right now and McGrady just seems to be a bit fragile. It would have to be a knock me over offer and it would have to be involving some younger stars as well. I just don't see trading the best player in the game unless you absolutely have to.

I thought it would be appropriate to bump this today...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think I'd kill myself if Yao got traded to my favorite team. Just horrible to watch play.