Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Dear Microsoft Visual Studio

Please stop thinking you are the most important application on my machine, regularly feeling like you need to grab focus and pop back up on top while I'm in the middle of something else (like posting at FOFC). It is especially annoying when I start loading a solution on one copy of you, switch to a second copy (and I actually have 3 of you loaded at the moment), start to load another solution, and the first one screams out "Hey, look at me!" and pops to the front.

Behave yourself, and when I shove you to the back for some quiet time to do your work, stay there until I call on you. Feel free to raise your hand or flash your taskbar icon orange if you want to ask a question, but until then sit there and shut up.

Thank-you,
A Programmer

gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've checked stuff out when I'm typing and not paying attention, and the stupid thing pops up and I end up typing and pressing enter to confirm a checkout.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This is where virtualization can be handy. I've got VS in a VPC and FOFC on my host. VS can take control of the VPC all it wants, doesn't impact my posting at all
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Also, stop thinking that I would ever want you to open my .xsd files. Not only do you take about 5 minutes to load up just to open what is essentially a text file, but you insist on making those annoying .xsx files *even though I don't click save!*.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Drake
assmaster

Amen to all of this.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
billethius
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Also, stop thinking that I would ever want you to open my .xsd files. Not only do you take about 5 minutes to load up just to open what is essentially a text file, but you insist on making those annoying .xsx files *even though I don't click save!*.

Change your file association for .xsd files. Though given that you're using Visual Studio, you probably already knew that.

Last edited by billethius : 01-31-2008 at 11:01 AM.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Dear Visual Studio,

I love you, please please come back to me and rescue me from the "eccentric" behaviour of codewarrior.

(trust me compared to other compilers Visual Studio is the ***s ******s)

Signed,

A programmer working on a console project
PS - Yes I've even done windows 'layers' for my console projects in the past just so I can use the nice reliable debugging tools which are built into Visual Studio - you don't realise how great they are until another compiler lies blatantly to you about what data is present in a register or variable ... bah humbug.
PPS - Just realised this is a "I love Microsoft" post .... runs away to see his psychiatrist ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post

did you just asterisk out "bees knees". thats so british.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dear Visual Studio,

I love you, please please come back to me and rescue me from the "eccentric" behaviour of codewarrior.

Signed,

A programmer working on a console project
PS - Yes I've even done windows 'layers' for my console projects in the past just so I can use the nice reliable debugging tools which are built into Visual Studio - you don't realise how great they are until another compiler lies blatantly to you about what data is present in a register or variable ... bah humbug.
PPS - Just realised this is a "I love Microsoft" post .... runs away to see his psychiatrist ...

Yeah, I've done the CodeWarrior thing before.

They really have a sweet set of debugging tools, but the build tools for C++ are only just starting to get straightened out since the mess that was VS.NET...
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

God I hated supporting that application. Supporting it with a ClearCase integration was even worse.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I have a ClearCase integrated VS.Net install on my work machine. We use disconnected (snapshot) views to our source code on our laptops (doesn't everyone??) so that we can work remotely. However, IBM's VS "integration" apparently hijacks your tcp/ip stack. When I work disconnected not only does CC die on my machine on boot up, but all of my source controlled directories CONSTANTLY look for the ClearCase server (which obviously isn't there) when I access them. This means browsing these directories, opening solutions and opening files within these solutions is maddeningly slow. Even right-clicking on a file in these directories can sometimes take 2-3 minutes for the context menu to show up. AHHHHHH!!!

I have found that disabling my network connections completely seems to stop all this, but what good is that? And yes, I've disabled clearcase services when remote, etc etc and nothing does the trick. I've also spent hours googling for a solution to this crap and nothing. How is it I'm the only one in the dev world who does this?

If it weren't for computers, clients and coworkers I would absolutely love this job.

Last edited by mrsimperless : 01-31-2008 at 09:53 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Geez that would make me shoot myself. I find it annoying enough when I open VS and it can't find the Team Foundation Server, and has to ask me a million times if I want to work disconnected. Once I've done that though, everything is fine.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sheesh, I work with VS 2005 programming in C# but compared to you guys, I feel like I'm doing BASICA.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Eventually, the only way we found it to work consistently was to actually use dynamic views - something about letting VS have full control made it happier. Of course that opens up other problems with branches & suchlike, but there you go.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #15
MartinD
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
did you just asterisk out "bees knees". thats so british.

I think that the asterisks were replacing a reference to certain parts of the male canine reproductive system...

Martin
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

VS 2005 got MUCH better about working disconnected (2003 was a pain in the patootie). If you aren't using 2005, well, what are you waiting for?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'd actually say "if you aren't using 2008, well, what are you waiting for?".
Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD View Post
I think that the asterisks were replacing a reference to certain parts of the male canine reproductive system...

Martin

We have a winner
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #19
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'd actually say "if you aren't using 2008, well, what are you waiting for?".

At home: cash. At work: An XDK that supports it.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
We have a winner

Anyone needing more clarification can listen to Mr Izzard so eloquently describing the use of such a word.