Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Mexican Police Commander Being Treated in U.S.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/15123804/detail.html
Quote:
EL PASO, Texas -- Thomason Hospital looked more like a police station Wednesday than a trauma center, as about half a dozen SWAT members and police officers stood guard - some with assault rifles - all to protect the life of Mexican police commander Fernando Lozano, shot in Juarez Monday by several men believed to be drug traffickers.

"I saw all the cops with the machine guns and everything. I got a little scared man," Central El Paso resident Memo Arguigo said.

Lozano was originally being treated at a hospital in Juarez, but has been moved to El Paso's largest trauma center for reasons that remain unknown. Since drug cartels have been known to attack victims recovering at hospitals in the past, some who live and work near Thomason question the decision to bring Lozano to El Paso, which is a hospital right next to a school.

"They're putting a lot of people in danger, since the cartels don't stop for anybody," Central El Paso resident Joe Gonzalez said.

A spokeswoman for Thomason did not want to go on camera, but said the hospital is beefing up security, not just for Lozano but the hospital as a whole.

The hospital also said it had no choice but to take Lozano Tuesday night, since he arrived at the international bridge where American medical assistance was called.
Although the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act says that we have to stabilize a person in an emergency condition, he should be sent back to Juarez once he's stabilized. The problem here is that policemen that are paid with U.S. money are guarding him (and the hospital). What the hell?

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/15123804/detail.html

Although the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act says that we have to stabilize a person in an emergency condition, he should be sent back to Juarez once he's stabilized. The problem here is that policemen that are paid with U.S. money are guarding him (and the hospital). What the hell?
Maybe he's got the goods on someone fairly significant, and the U.S. thinks it's in our best interests that he doesn't get finished off?

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
BishopMVP
Coordinator

In terms of messed up priorities and wastes of taxpayer money connected to the War on Drug and Mexican cartels, this is the least of your worries.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lozano was originally being treated at a hospital in Juarez, but has been moved to El Paso's largest trauma center for reasons that remain unknown.

Probably because El Paso's hospital is better at treatment than the one in Juarez. And he's probably considered a big ally in the "War on Drugs", so the US decided to help him out a bit.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

From the buzz around here, Lozano was in another drug cartel and that was why he was hit. He wasn't hit because he was the police commander. Also, supposedly the hospital in Juarez was on par with Thomason, the hospital he is currently in.

Also, the other patients at Thomason are in danger and there are a few schools in the area of the hospital. To me, this seems an unnecessary risk for a non-U.S. citizen who (allegedly) has ties to a drug cartel.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And I was wondering whether there might be more to the reason he was targeted that meets the eye.

Consider my originally planned post pre-empted. (That'd be the one about how I really wasn't too bent about seeing a cop, regardless of his nationality, gunned down by a drug cartel getting treatment in the U.S.)
Old 01-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Egads! A hospital is treating someone with life-threatening injuries! What is this world coming to?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Update: Lozano has dual citizenship (U.S./Mexico) and the Chihuaha police are paying for his hospital stay.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Egads! A hospital is treating someone with life-threatening injuries! What is this world coming to?

He was being treated in Mexico, but they couldn't protect him. The Mexican Army was protecting him, but you can bribe one guy $50 and get through their security. He was moved here because the Mexican government couldn't protect their own.

Additionally, the larger problem here is that we have many Mexican women coming to the border when they're about to give birth and under the EMTLA, the U.S. is required to bring them to one of our hospitals so they can give birth. They take advantage of this fact by getting a free birth and their child becomes a U.S. citizen.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Additionally, the larger problem here is that we have many Mexican women coming to the border when they're about to give birth and under the EMTLA, the U.S. is required to bring them to one of our hospitals so they can give birth. They take advantage of this fact by getting a free birth and their child becomes a U.S. citizen.

I thought they enacted legislation that ended this practice?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So the real problem with this police chief getting treated in the US is that Mexican women have babies?
Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

As an aside, I've just never understood why if someone who is illegal has a kid that the kid gets legal citizenship

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #14
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
As an aside, I've just never understood why if someone who is illegal has a kid that the kid gets legal citizenship

SI

It's a loophole in the 14th Amendment designed to ensure the citizen rights of former slaves.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #15
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
It's a loophole in the 14th Amendment designed to ensure the citizen rights of former slaves.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Not exactly. It has its roots in English common law, and except for slaves and Indians, those born in the U.S. prior to to enactment of the 14th Amendment were automatically considered citizens.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So the real problem with this police chief getting treated in the US is that Mexican women have babies?

Yeah, that's it.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I think the problem is, is that the US pays for this hospital, and this person came from Mexico to be treated.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote