Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Going back to an old employer?

Anyone have any experience going back to a previous employer? How were you treated?

My new employer just isn't working out, its a long story but the old company a couple positions they'd be willing to give me. It would suck moving again and selling the house but it beats complete misery 60-70 hrs a week. I wouldn't be working with the same group (its one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world), but I know the manager for the group I would be working for very well.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I did this and it wasn't bad at all. I assume you left on good terms and were a model employee though.

I worked at a bank and just before "Y2K" they would not give any time off for Dec or Jan so I left, was gone for over a year. When I went back I got a raise to my old pay and helped train the new branch manager there before getting my old job title/position back...then I left once I graduated from college that they helped me pay for.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Simms
FOBL Commish

I left a great job back in 2000 after my second child was born because we didn't have any support system in the DC area, and with two kids under 2, we wanted to be closer to family.

Two moves, and six years later, my former boss tracked me down via Google and told me that if I had any interest in returning to the area, my old job was open again. For a number of reasons, the timing was absolutely perfect, and we decided to move back here last summer. The job had expanded a bit, but was still largely the same role. I got the same workspace I'd left in 2000, and was (and am) working with the same people.

I don't think it could have worked out any better, for me.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
path12
Coordinator

I was at my current company for 14 years before leaving in 2000 for a four year stint at another company. After that, I came back to more money and a bridge of my service time. It was a great move for me and I haven't regretted it for a moment.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Balldog
Pro Rookie

These all sound too good to be true! Which is good, because going back seems like a better opportunity than the one I had while I was there.

I left on very good terms, I gave them a heads up in March that we were looking to move back to Ohio to be closer to our families after having the baby. Within a week they had given me a 10% raise to try to keep me, which in automotive is like 100% in any other industry. I actually went out to eat with the whole team when I was in the area a couple weeks ago, and I was offered two other opportunities within the group when I told them I was interested in coming back.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I was at my current company for 14 years before leaving in 2000 for a four year stint at another company. After that, I came back to more money and a bridge of my service time. It was a great move for me and I haven't regretted it for a moment.

I wish I'd known enough about the service time issues to have worked that into the negotiations. My company has an outstanding 403(b) matching benefit, which is fully vested after five years of employment. If you leave, then return, in under five years, then your previous service carries over. As it is, I was about 10 months late, so my five year clock was reset.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

If you leave on good terms, it shouldn't be awkward at all. If they have a need, they will welcome you back. I've seen people welcomed back after being gone only a month when their new job turned out to be a nightmare. They hadn't hired the guy's replacement yet, so he just started up like he never left.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Anyone have any experience going back to a previous employer? How were you treated?

My new employer just isn't working out, its a long story but the old company a couple positions they'd be willing to give me. It would suck moving again and selling the house but it beats complete misery 60-70 hrs a week. I wouldn't be working with the same group (its one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world), but I know the manager for the group I would be working for very well.

Twice, including the company I am at now. You get treated like old school and the new guy all at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

My example isn't as relevant, because it's in retail. But I was at my first company for 7 years and I was done with it. Too much BS, passed over for a promotion 2 months before I won regional store manager of the year (explain that one to me), and falsely accused by loss prevention of violating company policy. I took a job with another retail company and was there for about a year. I really enjoyed it there.

Then I got a phone call from my neighbor (who's a district mgr. for my old job) who said the regional manager (!!!) would bring me back at a store 5 minutes from my house for a 15% pay bump. It's crazy. I seriously considered it...then I told him to ask for a 20% pay bump. They agreed, and now I'm managing a store 5 mins from my house. There's still the same old company B.S., but I figured that with the pay increase, any bad week I could buy myself TWO video games to ease my pain. Next week it will be College Hoops 2k8 and Mass Effect.

But I made sure I left the right way, two weeks notice and all that. I really wanted to drop the F-bomb and walk out the door, but I'm glad I didn't. A 20% pay raise is pretty ridiculous the more I think about it.

Good luck to you man
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Well, I guess I should've known it would go as smoothly as I had hoped. They have asked me to come on board with a position that I am not all that interested in, as opposed to a couple other positions that I am interested in.

This position is their most urgent need though, so they want to fill it quickly. Thing is I am about 75% sure I would hate it and about 50% sure that I wouldn't be all that successful at doing it. The other two I know I can be successful at and I know I will enjoy them.

I think I'm going to have to call them and let if I am coming back I want to make sure it is a job that I am going to be happy with and successful with. I don't want to sell my house, which I'm going to lose a decent amount of cash on, to take a job I'll probably not like. I hope they appreciate the honesty, I guess.

Or am I approaching this all wrong?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Or am I approaching this all wrong?

Nope. Even a job that seems perfect is going to have its problems. If you know what they are offering isn't something you would be interested in and possibly something you might not excel at, don't take it. You have to be straightforward and honest about this IMO.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Groundhog
Coordinator

I agree with Radii. Selling your house and taking up the role is going to have a pretty impact on your life, especially with the housing market what it is in the States right now (from what I read, at least). You don't want to put something like that in motion unless you are 100% sure it's what you want to do IMO.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #13
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Depends on how you left....

I used to work for Pizza Hut way back in the day. I left and came back probably 4 times over 5 years, all under good terms, so it was never a problem.

More recently, I was laid off from Sun Microsystems, got another job with a really great company, but then "went back" to Sun when Sun bought that company. All of the other employees were real happy, but I went kicking and screaming so to speak knowing it wasn't going to end well. It didn't, as I and a few dozen of my co-workers were laid-off 2 months ago.

So you can pretty much boil it down to the circumstances upon which you left will certainly dictate how it will be when you go back.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #14
Balldog
Pro Rookie

A little update...sounds like I am going back.

I turned down their initial offer, too rushed and wasn't exactly what I wanted. As of today I am told I will be getting an offer here in the next few days. The nice thing is they are willing work with me realizing that I need to sell my house or commute 2 hrs each way. So they told me I can start whenever, no hurry.

I'm excited, yet concerned about selling the house but prepared to lose some money in the process I guess.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #15
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm excited, yet concerned about selling the house but prepared to lose some money in the process I guess.

Sounds like you won't be losing money but buying happiness to me.