Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

My CES report or quasi report

I have to say Quasi report, due to the fact I was in meetings a lot of the time and got to the show floor for a total of a day.

Most Impressive Technology to me, was the Microsoft Surface, basically, a smart table top, that uses touch technology...Think of the tables/desks in Enders Game, and this is exactly what I thought.

Second place to this was Panasonics Living Wall, pretty cool body recognition technology turning a complete wall into your t.v. / entertainment space and allowing the body to control everything...think, Minority Report in it's infancy....

JVC has a new LED Backlit T.V. that is amazing, it has the best technology here I have ever seen. On top of that, a lot of their new t.v.'s coming out have ipod stands and will display the video on the t.v. or pictures, to me pointless, but according to JVC, asked for.

Samsung has their monitors out with UBISYNC technology, daisychaining your monitors through USB, it's a killer technology that I liked.

And of course, if you haven't heard, Pioneer has project Kuro, a 1/2" LCD that is amazing, it looks like a thin line in my cell phone picture.

Gaming Technology was mainly a lot of Rocker type chairs, motion chairs, but a company called TN Games had a helmet and vest our for FPS that made you feel the impact of the shot while playing, it's a niche component, and a few will have them.

Creative had Fatality here playing against the attendees, and if anyone could beat them, they would win a Fatality Gaming System, they even handicapped him through a spinning wheel and he stomped everyone.

I have to run to another meeting but I will post more...feel free to ask questions..I wil try to answer if I can when I get back.

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Did you see any of the Gizmodo's guys works?
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm really interested in the USB DirecTV HD tuner that was announced. I haven't been using my Media Center PC much lately due to the fact I can't record HD shows. Once this comes out, I'll be able to pick up another Xbox 360 or dedicated Media Center Extender and get HD to all of the TVs in the house. Pretty slick.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-11-2008 at 11:43 AM.
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm really interested in the USB DirecTV HD tuner that was announced. I haven't been using my Media Center PC much lately due to the fact I can't record HD shows. Once this comes out, I'll be able to pick up another Xbox 360 or dedicated Media Center Extender and get HD to all of the TVs in the house. Pretty slick.

Don't hold your breath. DirecTV demonstrated a media center-like HD distribution hub for the home at CES over 4 years ago (basically one receiver that took 4 LNB signals, handled the DVR functionality, then distributed the shows out to dumb receivers at each TV) and it has yet to materialize.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Don't hold your breath. DirecTV demonstrated a media center-like HD distribution hub for the home at CES over 4 years ago (basically one receiver that took 4 LNB signals, handled the DVR functionality, then distributed the shows out to dumb receivers at each TV) and it has yet to materialize.

Yeah, I know all too well about that. But over on DBSTalk, Earl Bonovich (who is very accurate with his info) got the info on the unit from the DirecTV folks at CES, and over on The Green Button, the Microsoft folks working on it from their side confirmed the info. Evidently the hardware from D*TV is ready, there is just a feature update for Vista's Media Center that is needed to roll the product out.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Did you see any of the Gizmodo's guys works?

I actually did not, I was in meetings the day it did happen.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yeah, I know all too well about that. But over on DBSTalk, Earl Bonovich (who is very accurate with his info) got the info on the unit from the DirecTV folks at CES, and over on The Green Button, the Microsoft folks working on it from their side confirmed the info. Evidently the hardware from D*TV is ready, there is just a feature update for Vista's Media Center that is needed to roll the product out.

DirectTV did not have a booth on the show floor,they are invite only for their things.

However, Microsoft was showing their media centers with Vista and the wireless extenders pushing through the N routers, it was very fast and slick, the price range on the extenders were from 299 up to 1500, with the only difference I could get out of the M$ folks were screen transitions being smoother on the higher end units due to more computing power.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Any prototype for a robot butcher?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

Unfortunately I did not see one

However, there were several prototypes out on the floor, one full size one that was pretty cool, but nothing really, truly different.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Is Daivd Winter there with Maximum Football 3.0?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
gkb
High School Varsity

Ummm, booth babe pics plz, k thx.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really want to see the Pioneer Kuro Plasmas that they had on display. Should be a couple years out I guess. Did you see the Mitsubishi Lazer DLPs, or any of the other TV presentations?

Last edited by stevew : 01-11-2008 at 06:00 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote