Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #351
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
This is the most fun I've ever had as a football fan.

Actually I take that back. Nothing will ever top 2002.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 AM   #352
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And I'd say that anyone who doesn't believe that it's at the very least a distinct possibility given the incredible amounts of money involved has to be astonishingly naive.

At this point, there really isn't a single competitive sport - large or small - that I have complete confidence in not being "rigged" to at least some extent.

Now be sure to read carefully, because I'm not saying that I'm convinced that all of them are, just that there really isn't a single sport that I would be particularly surprised to eventually discover was.

Completely laughable that the NFL would be rigging games. Perhaps a rogue referee, I give you that, but that's all. Let me ask you how much the league loses financially, including the value of each franchise, if its ever discovered that the NFL itself has been fixing games. Untold billions, that's how much. To the contrary, with the money involved in the NFL, there is every motivation for the NFL to make the game as clean as possible.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:08 AM   #353
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Finally, do you really think pointing out that several NFL officials are also attorneys really helps your case?

No other profession regulates it's members' behavior more closely than attorneys. Their reputation is largely based on criminals who had to do jail time and abusive husbands that got cleaned out in divorces. But that's a dicussion for another thread.

I don't know what to say anymore. Maybe the NFL decided that the Patriots should be 16-0 this year, but they hadn't come up with this idea in 35 years prior. Maybe as a Pats fan I should temper my excitement, because after all, all the games are probably fixed anyway. The Colts and Broncos, all other teams that came close - the NFL probably just decided it wasn't the right time.

How can you watch ANY sporting event beliving this to be true? Why don't you just read about JFK and Elvis and let the rest of us enjoy the games? It's amazing when people watch a game, and then, and only when, there's an outcome they don't like, it was the NFL that decided the outcome.

That's what I think the proponents of this theory want, plain and simple. Tainting an outcome that they're not happy with. It's such petty bullshit.

Last edited by molson : 12-31-2007 at 12:12 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 AM   #354
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
First, you do realize that the league isn't the only entity making money from the games, right?

Second, TV deals do expire and do come up for renewal.

Third, an undefeated Patriots team likely ensures all-time record ratings for every round they play in.

Finally, do you really think pointing out that several NFL officials are also attorneys really helps your case?

Jon, do you honestly think it would be possible to keep this quiet? With all the people who despise the Patriots, there isn't one that would know about such a fix and blow the whistle?

Also, I highly doubt that the extra revenue gain that would come with a 19-0 Patriots team would be worth the potential disaster that would entail if anyone found out about it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:11 AM   #355
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I have no dog in this fight. I'm simply making the point that the calls you mentioned do not even out. The call against Toomer is as bad a call as a referee can make. That doesn't mean the game was rigged, or the bad calls stole it from the Giants, or the Giants shitty playcalling wasn't their ultimate undoing. It just means that it's one of the worst calls I've ever seen in football and your comparison to an excessive celebration penalty is way off the mark.

Right, but in the grand scheme of things, we are talking one atrocious call against the Giants. There was no "countless" bad calls as some have been intimating here. Atrocious calls happen every game. Some games, they go against the Pats, in others they do not. That one bad call has almost no effect in the game itself.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 AM   #356
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

What the hell is all the hate for the Titans and Vince Young? Guess what? They are one of the top teams in the league. Guess how I know this....go ahead.....

They made the playoffs!!

Did I actually see a Titan fan bitching about his team making the playoffs? That is some pathetic crap right there. Saying your coaches and QB should be gone? Pretty sad. A second year QB should be doing what exactly, matching Tom Brady's numbers? Give the kid some more time in the league before you label him Rex Grossman II or some other crap QB. I really get tired of people thinking guys should be a star right away in the NFL. Not everyone is a hall of fame player who can do that.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 AM   #357
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Great quotes St. Cronin from last year's thread. It's all there to see in terms of the double talk from some of the Pat's critics on this board. Apparently, for some, we are neither allowed to discuss bad calls that go against the Pats nor are we allowed to criticize others that complain about bad calls against the Pats' opponents.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 AM   #358
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Right, but in the grand scheme of things, we are talking one atrocious call against the Giants. There was no "countless" bad calls as some have been intimating here. Atrocious calls happen every game. Some games, they go against the Pats, in others they do not. That one bad call has almost no effect in the game itself.

Which is different than saying the two calls were equally bad. I'm not sure why you insist on responding to an argument I'm not making.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 AM   #359
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Great quotes St. Cronin from last year's thread. It's all there to see in terms of the double talk from some of the Pat's critics on this board. Apparently, for some, we are neither allowed to discuss bad calls that go against the Pats nor are we allowed to criticize others that complain about bad calls against the Pats' opponents.

Just imagine the response in that thread if a Pats fan claimed the outcome of last year's AFC Championship game was rigged.

16-0. Can't be tainted even by jackasses.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #360
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Which is different than saying the two calls were equally bad. I'm not sure why you insist on responding to an argument I'm not making.

Sorry. You piped in late and thought you were basically part of the Lathum contingent who were arguing that the refereeing was "lopsided". I agree, those calls were not even. But they were both bad, which I guess is my point.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 12-31-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 AM   #361
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

StC & Molson,

Just in case you wanted to know what it was like in person.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 12-31-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 AM   #362
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
A second year QB should be doing what exactly, matching Tom Brady's numbers? Give the kid some more time in the league before you label him Rex Grossman II or some other crap QB.

Perhaps not Tom Brady numbers... but better than a QB rating under 70, I'd think.

I mean, really, that team is in the playoffs because of the defense.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #363
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What the hell is all the hate for the Titans and Vince Young? Guess what? They are one of the top teams in the league. Guess how I know this....go ahead.....

They made the playoffs!!

Did I actually see a Titan fan bitching about his team making the playoffs? That is some pathetic crap right there. Saying your coaches and QB should be gone? Pretty sad. A second year QB should be doing what exactly, matching Tom Brady's numbers? Give the kid some more time in the league before you label him Rex Grossman II or some other crap QB. I really get tired of people thinking guys should be a star right away in the NFL. Not everyone is a hall of fame player who can do that.

Cringer, I agree with that, if you;ll agree with this, the hype machine on Vince Young was so amped up, and his performance both last year and this year so far has done nothing to deserve it in the NFL.

People rightfully attack his QB Rating, his lack of passing mecahincs, and so forth, and then some othe rpople, oftne fans, will denf Young by pointing to the number of games he won as a starter in his rookie season, but Kyle Orton won a bunch of games, how come no one defended him when he was attacked for havign a woeful QBing.

So a lot o ffans are tired of the hype mahciens that enter the NFL and then never produce at the level of their hype, but still have a lot of denfeder, as if their hyped up player is the best thing since Jerry Rice. Example sinclude Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Michael Vick.

After all, my offense is piloted by a guy in his first season as a starter, but he has bene in the lague for years prior to this, learing his craft, and Yougn hasn;t and that's fine if Youg grows into a good QB someday, but for now, you can understand why many view Young as a disappointment.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:49 AM   #364
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
Cringer, I agree with that, if you;ll agree with this, the hype machine on Vince Young was so amped up, and his performance both last year and this year so far has done nothing to deserve it in the NFL.

People rightfully attack his QB Rating, his lack of passing mecahincs, and so forth, and then some othe rpople, oftne fans, will denf Young by pointing to the number of games he won as a starter in his rookie season, but Kyle Orton won a bunch of games, how come no one defended him when he was attacked for havign a woeful QBing.

So a lot o ffans are tired of the hype mahciens that enter the NFL and then never produce at the level of their hype, but still have a lot of denfeder, as if their hyped up player is the best thing since Jerry Rice. Example sinclude Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Michael Vick.

After all, my offense is piloted by a guy in his first season as a starter, but he has bene in the lague for years prior to this, learing his craft, and Yougn hasn;t and that's fine if Youg grows into a good QB someday, but for now, you can understand why many view Young as a disappointment.

Are you working your way over to the Drunk Guy thread?

No he has not lived up to the hype.

Yes the hype was overdone on the guy. He had some impressive games last year IIRC. Maybe not big numbers, but stepped up and made some plays that helped win. His completion percentage went up over 10 points this year too which shows me some improvement.

I have no idea if the guy will be a success or not. What I do know is it is too early IMO to judge that despite the hype. People buying into hype is a big part of the problem, and I get turned off by the ESPN's who only want to hype the man of the moment and then create a top ten list.

It kind of goes along with the Cleveland debate for me. Cleveland should clearly keep Anderson, have him as the starter, and Quinn can sit on the bench. Yet there is all this talk like that is just soooooo wrong of Cleveland to do, or it is impossible because Quinn is a hyped up first rounder. Rodgers seems to be living his life after being a hyped up first round QB who has sat on the bench. Rivers lived. Sometimes it might even be better for the guy in the long run, probably is in my opinion.

Last edited by Cringer : 12-31-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:52 AM   #365
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Young out, Collins in.
Who would have thought that this would be the turning point in Tennessee winning the game...

It may sound crazy, but Collins may give The Titans a better shot at winning in the postseason than Young.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 AM   #366
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Who would have thought that this would be the turning point in Tennessee winning the game...

It may sound crazy, but Collins may give The Titans a better shot at winning in the postseason than Young.

Maybe, but Vince Young is more Now than Kerry Collins and nothing you say can take that away from him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 AM   #367
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

When it comes to their first round game I am not sure about that. San Diego would probably enjoy going against a straight drop back QB who doesn't move too much. Blitzers galore......
Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 AM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
No other profession regulates it's members' behavior more closely than attorneys.

Okay, just for future reference, when you're down to defending the ethical character of attorneys ... punt.

Quote:
How can you watch ANY sporting event beliving this to be true?

With a realistic eye toward the possibilities.
It's also one reason I watch less sports than I used to.

Quote:
It's amazing when people watch a game, and then, and only when, there's an outcome they don't like, it was the NFL that decided the outcome.

You're grossly overestimating how big a shit I give about the Patriots or the NFL.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:10 AM   #369
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

Collins is a much better passer then Young, if you give him a pocket.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 AM   #370
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Collins is a much better passer then Young, if you give him a pocket.

Much better? Based on his 55.5 completion % and his career 73.3 QB Rating I am going to have to disagree with this.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #371
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
it's acceptable to attack the Pats for everything up to but just short of the war in Iraq

As ridiculous as these threads become every single week, I really don't see why we have to stop short anymore.

WMDs are buried both underneath Gillette Stadium and Bill Belichick's driveway. Discuss.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:35 AM   #372
larrymcg421
Head Coach

QB ratings in 2nd year as starter

Brian Griese: 102.9
Tim Couch: 77.3
Eli Manning: 75.9
Jake Plummer: 75.0
Brett Favre: 72.2
Kyle Boller: 70.5
Vince Young: 69.5
Drew Brees: 67.5

Old 12-31-2007, 03:44 AM   #373
Vince
Pro Starter

I have to say, I was incredibly entertained by the sign in the crowd of Lucy wearing a Titans helmet and Charlie Brown wearing a Browns helmet as he whiffed at the place kick.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #374
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
As ridiculous as these threads become every single week, I really don't see why we have to stop short anymore.

WMDs are buried both underneath Gillette Stadium and Bill Belichick's driveway. Discuss.

Best post of the thread. By a considerable margin.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #375
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Much better? Based on his 55.5 completion % and his career 73.3 QB Rating I am going to have to disagree with this.

I said if you give him a pocket. Without a pocket he is terrible. Last year Young could scramble which helped them, because their line was terrible. This year their line is better so Collins can be more effective.

You put Collins behind that Patriots line and he has numbers that are out of this world.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM   #376
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Some classic quotes from last year's Championship game thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
You should be saying nothing outside of "great game Colts" "Great game Manning" "We'll see you next year" (only after the first two statements are made) and "It's time the front office got off it's ass and gave Brady some real WR to throw the football to. The lack of weapons devastated us when it really counted"

It's certainly not the time to try to spoil the Colts win by bitching about two calls in a game you were winning 21-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Why get mad when someone else catches a break? Suck it up!

Quote:
I also thought the Pats fans on this board and others acted pretty poorly after the loss, especially when they've won a lot of games over the years on similar calls and breaks. I thought the best thing would be to say "congrats Manning, I didn't like a few of the calls, but you got us. Wait til next year" Instead it was a series of whines and bitches about one botched PI call and a roughing the passer call that made the difference in nine yards of field position on a drive the Patriots couldn't stop the CU Buff offense because they were so worn out.

I think you're getting into a habit here. Here's what you posted in that very thread:

Quote:
Some comments from last year's Super Bowl thread:
Quote:
I hope to God the refs at least gave the Seahawks some Vasoline before the game.

This is beyond ridiculous. The holding call was horrible and the "block" call was beyond horrible.

The NFL needs to clean house. The reffing in the playoffs has sucked. And the reffing in this game is reprehinsible. There is no excuse for this.

Quote:
The entire crew should be fired. PERIOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Ugh, this postseason has been so hard to watch with the refs screwing someone over in every single game.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #377
st.cronin
General Manager

Well, I guess if you want to sum up my argument, its that people complain about the officials in every game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #378
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Not surprised you would quote me.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #379
molson
General Manager

Quote:

You're grossly overestimating how big a shit I give about the Patriots or the NFL.

That wasn't directed towards you at all, even though I was quoting your post.

I take my job as a public service attorney extremely seriously - my impression is that most others do also. If every lawyer in Georgia is corrupt, I don't know about it.

Last edited by molson : 12-31-2007 at 08:26 PM.