Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hawks' Williams carjacked at gunpoint before game vs. Bobcats

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3156402

Quote:
ATLANTA -- Atlanta Hawks forward Shelden Williams was carjacked at gunpoint Saturday before the Hawks' game against Charlotte, a Fulton County Police spokesman confirmed.

Douglasville City Police said two suspects were arrested late Saturday afternoon at Arbor Place Mall in Douglas County, near Atlanta. The suspects were in Williams' car and were attempting a robbery, according to an officer who answered the phone at the Douglasville Police Department.

The officer, who declined to give her name, said one suspect was taken to a hospital after suffering dog bites from the police canine unit during the arrest.

Hawks spokesman Arthur Triche says Williams provided police with the license plate number of the vehicle used by the carjackers, leading to a search that led to two suspects being arrested at a mall in Douglas County. Williams' car was found at the scene.

"I'm just glad that he's safe," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said.

"Cars and things like that, jewelry, money, all that can be replaced."

Triche said the car was damaged when found.

Williams reported to Philips Arena before the game but missed the team's shootaround. He played just two minutes against the Bobcats, being held scoreless in Atlanta's 93-84 win.

Williams told Woodson and other team officials about the incident when he reported for the game. He said the car was stolen outside a barber shop.

Williams declined comment to The Associated Press.

Fulton County Police spokesman Gary Syblis said Williams was driving a 2008 Chrysler.

Syblis said Williams, a second-year player from Duke, did not identify himself as a player for the Hawks.

Syblis says the incident occured outside a barber shop on Cascade Road.

The incident is only the latest in a series of attacks on professional athletes. Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor was shot and killed at his home in what is believed to have been a botched burglary.

Earlier this month, Indiana Pacers guard Jamaal Tinsley and his entourage were shot at in a parking lot outside a five-star hotel in Indianapolis.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I guess good things never happened late in the afternoon either.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
henry296
College Starter

And Douglasville is very suburban Atlanta, too.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Nothing good happens in atlanta
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
And Douglasville is very suburban Atlanta, too.

On the other hand, this particular mall is one that has a history of problems relating to youth violence, to the extent that earlier this year banned anyone under 18 from entering without an adult accompanying them.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Am I the only one who keeps reading this as Hank Williams?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
Clark
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Am I the only one who keeps reading this as Hank Williams?

I thought the same thing.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ge_tab_newstab

Two 18-year-old Atlanta men believed to have been responsible for carjacking Hawks forward Shelden Williams are in the Douglas County jail charged with armed robbery.

Williams had his car stolen outside of his barber shop on Cascade Road Saturday afternoon, just hours before the Hawks played the Charlotte Bobcats Saturday night at Philips Arena.

Williams was not hurt in the incident but did have his SUV stolen.

The men were arrested by Douglasville police as they tried to rob someone else at Arbor Place Mall Saturday evening. They were not granted bond during their first appearance in court on Monday morning and Douglasville Police Chief Joe Whisenant said there could be other charges against the men.

Bernard Moss and Darius Mathis, both of Atlanta, are charged with armed robbery at Arbor Place Mall. Whisenant said the two were in William's stolen Dodge SUV when they allegedly were involved in a robbery at Arbor Place Mall. Police chased the men about three miles from the mall and the SUV was wrecked during the chase.

Whisenant said of William's Dodge SUV, "It's probably not totaled, but I wouldn't want it."

Any charges in Williams carjacking will have to come from Fulton County officials.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
I thought the same thing.

Ditto.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote