Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2000, 12:20 PM   #1
TRuschak
n00b

Post Any word on 3dfx Patch?

Has anyone heard anything about a patch for 3dfx owners?? I still can't play the game without lockups and it's pretty damn annoying!

Tom

TRuschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 01:40 AM   #2
SickBoy
n00b

So that's what it is...

I downloaded the game, started playing, not 10 minutes in (both times I attempted to play), my computer locked up and all I could do was move my mouse. I knew this stoopid Voodoo3 card would get me someday

I'm half tempted to reinstall my old Matrox G200 to fix the problem now that I know what it is. But I don't want to contribute to system bloat so soon after reinstalling Windows on my machine..

BTW, hi everyone who cares, I'm SickBoy, long time forum lurker, although I noticed they disappeared for a while (used to access the forum through fof.com).

-SB
SickBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 11:32 PM   #3
Riggo
n00b

They better figure this "Voodoo freeze" out and make a patch available or they're going to miss a lot of potential customers. There are a lot of voodoo card owners out there that want this game. The product will not be embraced by them until the fix is on...

Let us know...
Riggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2000, 10:06 AM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What is this 3dfx lock-up I keep hearing about. I have a 3dfx card, 3rd generation, and haven't had this problem yet,. I have probably just doomed myself to eternal lock-up now when I get home.

Go Buirds!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2000, 05:05 PM   #5
SickBoy
n00b

For most of us, the game locks up after 5-10 minutes of running. In my experience, my entire system stops responding, except for my mouse. Can't click on anything, though, and I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL out of the program. So it's a hard reset every time.

It's a killer bug, but so far EA's been pretty good in responding to me. They haven't contacted me since asking for my driver info Wednesday, but I'm hoping to hear back early next week.

I'm running a Voodoo3 2000, for the record. If the problem isn't fixed within the 14-day return window, I'll probably return the game until I'm confident they've licked the problem, at which time I'll likely buy it again.

-SB
Old 11-27-2000, 02:30 PM   #6
cody8200
High School Varsity

Yeh I too have a V3 2000 and I didn't have any problems whatsoever for a little while. Then I decided to change the rsolution on the game to 640-480(after a few hours, my eyes started hurting), 5 minutes in and it freezes up everything. Well I just cold booted and retserted the game back in 800-600 and now i still have the problem every once ina while. I turned off 3d acceleration, and that works but screw that, thats why I bought a Voodoo card. I still love Madden 2K1 and since they finally finished the patching it seems to work well. Its a good game to play when you want some action on the field.

------------------
Its not a lie if you believe it-George Costanza
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2000, 02:38 PM   #7
Da Jets
n00b

I have the same problem of lockup with my Voodoo 5 and it upsets me also. I get the game excited then depressed cause the damn game lock up about 10 min into it if anyone hears of anything to fix it please let me know. I love the game i got to play it on my friends laptop until 4 in the morning. Please EA make a patch pretty please.
Da Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 05:58 PM   #8
grifter
n00b

Angry

I am kinda pissed with EA at the moment...myself being a Voodoo 3 2000 owner, I asked them about it (before coming to this forum and finding out that it was the Voodoo 3), and they sent me their E-Mail saying I would get a response in 48hrs. Well...4 days passed, and I wrote them again. Now my little 14 day return period expired. All I wanted to know was if there was gonna be a fix. I would have asked for a refund had I known. Bastards....

Grifter
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 01:47 PM   #9
SickBoy
n00b

Ouch, but Grifter, shouldn't you have a Matrox video card, being from Dorval??

I've returned my copy of the game for the time being, because I haven't heard anything new from EA tech support since they asked me for more detailed system and driver information.

So I've reinstalled FOF2 and I'm playing that until EA works the bugs out... something I'm starting to believe might take a lot longer than I first thought. It's a real disappointment, because it seems to be the unnecessary new interface EA added that's causing the bulk of my problems. I hope that they fix it soon, because if they don't I'll likely just leap into TCY and pass on FOF2001. And I'll feel bad for Jim, because it will mean his game got poorer sales because EA crippled it for some of us.

-SB
Old 12-08-2000, 06:30 PM   #10
grifter
n00b

Hehehe...I hate Matrox however, almost as much as I now hate the EA tech support! all well. If I was to get a new video card, it'd have to have DRAM Memory...so, probably a Geforce...and at least that might work with FOF2001!

I sent them a second message, quite a terse and pointed message, and all they came back with was a conditioned response, and not even answering the question. At least it was within a reasonable time now (two days).

I don't even think they read the mail. They just look for keywords, like "crash" or "bug" or something, and they just read that one sentence. They then look through their list of responses and reply. Losers.

I am also doing what your doing. Going back to good ol' FOF2, and continuing my season with Greenbay. I was hoping to start something new, but the game is just unplayable right now.

grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 11:41 AM   #11
Rockski
n00b

I bought the game on 12/23...the game worked fine until yesterday when it froze for the first time, after the 14 days had passed. Those bastards at Ea had better release a patch. How about we file a class action suit against EA to get our money back like some people did with Ultima Online. Just an idea...we'd probably lose anyway. Oh well here's hoping they release a patch soon.
Rockski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 02:30 AM   #12
Tony
High School Varsity

If you're running Win2K, there is a Windows Update from 3dfx which has fixed all my FOF problems with my Voodoo 5.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 08:22 PM   #13
AgPete
College Prospect

Red face

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems with Voodoo. Ferkin' EA!

This isn't the first EA game that my Voodoo 3 card has encountered problems with. I just purchased FOF2K1 and am willing to put up with the 10 minute freezes because of my addiction but this will get annoying after a bit.

Anyone have suggestions on a new video card that has few tech problems. (With all software.)

[This message has been edited by AgPete (edited 01-25-2001).]
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 12:51 AM   #14
SickBoy
n00b

Currently, NVIDIA's cards are kind of the basis for most 3D games, so they're probably the safest option... something like a GeForce MX... you can always spend more if you've got the money, but it's a really good all around value.

-SB