Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

How do you get your mom off the phone?

I can never get my mother off the phone... She calls sometimes twice a night, always at the worst time possible if I'm watching TV. When I had a girlfriend (so this is going back!) it was always at a bad time too. Telling her she called at a bad time doesn't do anything... She just goes on and on about things you can't recall after you hear it. My sister says she just doesn't answer the phone most times. I end up feeling bad for her talking to my machine with the whole "So where are you..." She can go for an hour without my saying anything, and I actually hear the phone ring and know that I have absolutely nothing to say, and neither does she!

Anyone else have a mom that calls all the time? Is there a magic word to not have my TV paused for an hour?

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Just tell her your busy and have to go. If she asks, just say you're playing with the monkey
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hmm... IMO I say you let her talk, Moms need these times , just to feel closer to the son or daughter. I wish I hadn't tried to get my mom off the phone as often as I did If you are are absolutely busy with something important its understandable, but if not, give her the time.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Just tell her your busy and have to go. If she asks, just say you're playing with the monkey

Believe it or not, my mother would laugh and ask "What monkey?" Then turn that into a joking inquisition...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
korme
Go Reds

How about people in general, one of my friends, love him to death but a phone call with him is an hour minimum... I usually end up just half listening and let him ramble
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Tell her you really have to go poopy.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I fear the parody thread title to this..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've gone through a host of different options over the years. Having the microwave beep in the background, having the doorbell ring, pulling in a roommate to help with some excuse. These are all required when Mom just doesn't understand "bye" or "I've got to go", and have come in handy for situations where I'm just done with the conversation but Mom isn't having it.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
How about people in general, one of my friends, love him to death but a phone call with him is an hour minimum... I usually end up just half listening and let him ramble

Oh my gawd I have the same thing happen to me. I mean its annoying but I understand why he calls because he married at a young age so he is only allowed to talk to certain friends.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

On one hand, it's your mom. She loves you, she obviously misses you, and she just wants to spend some time talking with you. There are countless number of kids out there who would love to have a parent that interested in them.

On the other hand, if she really is that disruptive to your busy life, tell her very straightforwardly that you don't have hours to spend on the phone. Keep it to 15 minutes tops and you'll see that it becomes a quality 15 minutes.

If all else fails, change your number.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I have fabricated a device that allows me to give my mother a mild electrical shock whenever she's been talking for too long. Unfortunately, my wife took the device from me, went into the bedroom, and locked the door. I haven't seen her in three days.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This subject is one two-letter addition away from being a really terrible parody thread.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-07-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Oh my gawd I have the same thing happen to me. I mean its annoying but I understand why he calls because he married at a young age so he is only allowed to talk to certain friends.

*snicker*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
My sister says she just doesn't answer the phone most times.

I think this is the answer, at least it is for me. I know that my mom is going to talk way longer than warranted, is going to take at least 15 minutes just to say good bye even when there are occasions to talk daily 3 or 4 days in a row, and that no conversation will be less than 45 minutes. In my case, I also know that she is bipolar and otherwise generally crazy and that it doesn't matter what my reason is to go, if I force the end of the conversation she may well end up mad at me for days, which I really have to avoid, because that anger gets taken out on my dad and sister for days as well.

I deal with this by promising myself to call back within 24 hours when I have at least an hour's worth of free time and as long as I hold myself to that rule I don't feel too terribly guilty about it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
I fear the parody thread title to this..

Indeed:

How you know it's gonna be a bad day on FOFC

SI

Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #16
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
*snicker*

SI

I said something wrong?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #17
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Flamethrower
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #18
molson
General Manager

Set the expecations low. (Though for many of you, it's already too late).

I have 3 siblings, and I definitely have the least amount of contact with my parents (though I do also live the furthest away, by far).

I talk to them on the phone maybe once or twice a month, for about 10-15 minutes. When I do manage to call, it's like I'm the greatest son in the world. When I'm at the house for a holiday or a long weekend, it's a bigger deal because it happens so rarely.

Everything I do is gold, no matter how little.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dude, not to be harsh but she's your mom, she brought you to this world, you sorta owe it to her to simply listen to whatever rambling she wants to give you.

If you're so worries about missing your TV time, buy a recorder and record anything you watch just in case...

FM
Old 11-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Depends on how many times that week we've talked. If we haven't talked much, I'll chat with her for an hour. But if I know I'm busy or not in the mood to talk, not answering and calling her back later isn't the worst idea in the world.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Geez I thought I was alone with these issues, I'm in the same boat. I dread calling, or being called by, my parents, it literally 'ruins' my evening. Most calls are an hour in length, but most frustrating is that the actual conversation could be had in about 5-10 minutes if they didn't ramble on and repeat themselves a hundred times. I get off the phone and my wife will ask what we talked about, and I can summarize the entire thing in about 30 seconds. Even worse, sometimes I'll just tune out and then miss an actual piece of news amongst the ramblings, and then I look like an ass when it comes up in conversation later on and I have no clue what they are talking about.

It's gotten to the point where I only talk to them about once a week or 10 days, and I'm sure they are hurt by that, and I feel like an asshole, but I just can't bring myself to call them some nights.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
This subject is one two-letter addition away from being a really terrible parody thread.

ON?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #23
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

I had this problem years ago when I first went away to college. It finally came down to me telling her that she was not allowed to call more than once a week or I wasnt going to answer her phone calls anymore. It took a few weeks of me only answering her phone calls when she was "allowed" to call but she finally started calling on a regular schedule that was acceptable to me.

If you are the first (or likely worse if you are the last) of you siblings to leave the house try being patient with her because I am sure the adjustment is very difficult for her. If you father is still with her maybe talking to him and explaining your situation may also help.
-apoc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #24
molson
General Manager

Mothers are overrated.

I mean sure, there's some outstanding ones, but like everything else in life, most are mediocre.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #25
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I said something wrong?

I wasn't the one that posted but I was laughing at the concept of only being "allowed" to call certain friends after/because I was married. That doesn't sound like a fun situation!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #26
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Can't let mom get in the way of those everybody loves raymond reruns.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #27
chesapeake
College Starter

My mom apparently doesn't call me enough. I'm going to call her and complain!
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #28
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I don't have a problem on the phone...but in person, God it's awful.

My wife is a nurse, and works PT-- usually 2, sometimes 3, days a week. It's great she can stay home with the kids. Days she works during the week, my mom and dad watch the kids. Saves us a BUNDLE on daycare. We thank them everytime, profusely.

The problem is...I'll go to pick them up when i get home from work...they are about 15 mins from us. I get in the door at 5:00, get in the car, go get them, always there by 5:30 at the latest. There are days I am not back home until after 6:30. My mom and dad come up with everything in the world to possibly tell me while i am there. My wife and I joke about it (they do the same to her if she's worked a night shift, and heads over to get the kids early afternoon when she wakes up), but it is annoying as hell. I keep creeping towards the door, and they'll follow, still yapping about aunt so and so, or cousin blah blah...who i probably haven't seen in years.

I know, they are my parents, and are doing us a huge favor, but when is it enough?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My mom does the same thing except she usually only calls once a night or every other night. I'm thankful for it every day after seeing so many crappy parents who don't care a bit about their children or spending time with them.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-07-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #30
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Its called the two one one method of telling someone something they don;t want to hear.

Give them something positive
Give them somethign postive
Give them the negative
Wrap it up with teh positive again

For example, EF27:

"Hey folks, I love you, and I really appreciate the time you give myr kids and my wife. We do need to get out of your place sooner, because my wife and I don't always have the same schedule and we need some time with the kids as a family, but I want you to know that I love spending time with you, and I'll see you again tomorrow (the next day, this weekend, etc.)"

Sit them down first if that will help. That;s how I;d do it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #31
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Another technique is the "I;m sure you can understand that," technique.

You say something you want them to agree to, then add that phrase and nod your head a bit. In the rpevious 2-1-1 strategy, I;d toss this line after "we need some time with the kids as a family, which I'm sure you can understand (head nodding)."

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #32
Telle
College Starter

Wow.. "How to Manipulate Someone 101" by Anxiety.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
Its called the two one one method of telling someone something they don;t want to hear.

Give them the negative

For example, EF27:

"Hey folks, I love you, and I really appreciate the time you give myr kids and my wife. We do need to get out of your place sooner, because my wife and I don't always have the same schedule and we need some time with the kids as a family, but I want you to know that I love spending time with you, and I'll see you again tomorrow (the next day, this weekend, etc.)"

Sit them down first if that will help. That;s how I;d do it.

I'm not sure how I got mentioned in that example. I know plenty of techniques if I wanted to get off the phone with my mom or anyone else, but I value the time on the phone with my mother (even when she does ramble at times.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-07-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #34
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post

Give them the negative
That's a really good post. You summed the concept up really well, and even coming from someone who generally doesn't contribute anything worthwhile, it will be really helpful for people.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #35
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My last boss used to call this technique the "Shit Sandwich", and he would use it for employee reviews. Start off positive, put all the constructive criticism in the middle, then end positive.

Even knowing he was doing it, I still enjoyed his reviews.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #36
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I actually do treasure talking with her, but when she gets past the "nothing to talk about" stage and takes 45 minutes to describe an episode of Mama's Family...

Maybe I should start describing football games in detail.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #37
lungs
Pro Rookie

My mother entices me to come over by cooking for me.

I don't mind that, it sure beats 3 hot dogs for $1 from the gas station.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I wasn't the one that posted but I was laughing at the concept of only being "allowed" to call certain friends after/because I was married. That doesn't sound like a fun situation!

That's what I was snickering at. It was like something out of a bad sitcom.

SI

Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
That's a really good post. You summed the concept up really well, and even coming from someone who generally doesn't contribute anything worthwhile, it will be really helpful for people.

Brilliant

SI

Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
My last boss used to call this technique the "Shit Sandwich", and he would use it for employee reviews. Start off positive, put all the constructive criticism in the middle, then end positive.

Even knowing he was doing it, I still enjoyed his reviews.

I think that name is a lot more accurate than 2-1-1

SI

Old 11-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #41
Anthony
Banned

my mom is very needy and dependent. i don't believe in rewarding such behavior by making myself available all the time. at 1st i wouldn't pick up the phone if i didn't want to be bothered, then when i'd get flak for not returning her unimportant calls (unimportant in the sense that she was just looking to BS and didn't have anything newsworthy or in need of immediate attention). after some arguements she's finally now stopped calling several times a week. sometimes beating around the bush doesn't work. sure, i would love to be the world's greatest son, but the commitment required on my part to attain that status is more than i'm willing to do. i'm married and stress wanting to have my own life. there's a place for my mom in my life, but not on an everyday basis. i want to encourage her using this time (her having the kids out of the house) to pursue her interests and goals and to move on with the next 30 or 40 years of her life. i will encourage my future kids to do the same. you really only rent your kids for 18 yrs, after that you have to hope you taught them well. then the party resumes and you get on with you own thing. that's how i'll be. i'll be one of those "if you need me, you know where i live. until then, hopefully you'll enjoy your life and use what i've taught you to face the world".
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote