Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #51
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Wow. That may be too much for anyone to stay composed.
No kidding. Those jerseys would be gorgeous, too. black with white numbers, outlined in maroon and orange - no names on the back. They could sell them in the bookstore for charity.

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #52
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Stanford will probably play a boring game against UCLA. I don't think they'll get horrifically massacred, but rather one of those dreary 27-7 games.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #53
korme
Go Reds

Go Bearcats/Buckeyes.

Q for SkyDog or any GA fan: Is this Thomas Brown's senior year, is he still the starting HB?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #54
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
No kidding. Those jerseys would be gorgeous, too. black with white numbers, outlined in maroon and orange - no names on the back. They could sell them in the bookstore for charity.

BTW, have you seen this?

VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #55
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
So, to sum up, the upside for Michigan, one of the wealthiest schools in the country, is $. The downside is that people tease you about your ludicrous schedule, and if you are one of multiple 11-1 schools, you (probably) don't get to play in the national championship.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying Michigan has a ludicrous schedule. They'll play both Oregon and Notre Dame.

It's really only an issue to me when I see four really horrible teams on the schedule. There ae a lot of teams with garbage on their schedule. Penn St. and Ohio St. aren't exactly playing murderer's row before conference starts.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #56
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Shoot, I'd buy a black VT jersey for charity.

And yes, I'm looking forward to Saturday. I have my buddy Valerie coming in this weekend from Chicago, as she announced to me two days ago.
She asked, "What are we going to do?"

I said, "We can do whatever, but I'm not missing the Vols game."
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #57
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying Michigan has a ludicrous schedule. They'll play both Oregon and Notre Dame.

It's really only an issue to me when I see four really horrible teams on the schedule. There ae a lot of teams with garbage on their schedule. Penn St. and Ohio St. aren't exactly playing murderer's row before conference starts.

I caught your hidden reference to me.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #58
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I'll give the Rutgers' opinion on this.

First, disadvantage #1 with the Big East right now is it's size, or lack thereof. With only 7 conference games, you need to fill 5 more slots. That's why pretty much every BE team plays a I-AA. It's hard enough getting just 4 slots filled by decent non-conference teams.

Our OOC schedule this year is Buffalo, Navy, Norfolk St (AA), Maryland, and Army (the only one on the road). Now, we've traditionally played the service academies so that probably won't change much, although it'll probably go down to one per year. The Maryland game should be fun since we recruit against each other and there's a ton of Jersey people that go down to school there. Although it did look a lot more exciting last year when they were 8-2 after beating Miami. But yeah, it's not very daunting.

Of course, this schedule was made years in advance when the team was terrible. So the time is now to start bulking up future years. Unfortunately, major programs only want to play us at Giants Stadium, which would allow their fans to get a large number of tickets and would remove a home game from our schedule, which doesn't please season ticket holders. So basically, we have work to do.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #59
Kodos
Resident Alien

Go Hoosiers! Take some dem Sycamores!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #60
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This is the most wonderful time of the year.

Yes, it is. As fun as it has been to talk smack to my LSU co-workers, it will be great to finally see USC in action.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #61
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This is the most wonderful time of the year.

What? It's Spring Training already? I didn't think this season was over yet.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
So, to sum up, the upside for Michigan, one of the wealthiest schools in the country, is $. The downside is that people tease you about your ludicrous schedule, and if you are one of multiple 11-1 schools, you (probably) don't get to play in the national championship.

Quote:

Troy's right. One rummy doesn't your schedule make. I didn't see Western Carolina keeping Florida out of the title game last year. The risk of facing a possible loss every week just isn't worth the possible reward if you run the table.

Plus, it is nice to get a "preseason" game under your belt to get some of those opening game jitters out of the way.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-29-2007 at 04:29 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #63
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Oh, heck yeah. Even in spite of coming off a 3-9 disaster, just the mere fact that I'm back in the Triangle in time for football season has me pumped. I don't know when I'll be able to make it out to Carter-Finley for a game (season tickets sold out), but at least I won't have to labor through Illinois-Indiana-type Big 10 matchups overriding the national game on ABC anymore.

Oh, and one of those three wins was a 23-10 win over the defending national champs from App State, so I don't think the Michigan folks have a whole lot to worry about. I think Appy will play hard and fired up for a half just because of the opportunity to play at Michigan Stadium, but the Wolverines should still end up smoking them.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #64
wade moore
lolzcat

Not that I think Appy St. will win, but they won the I-AA title last year with a spectacular Freshman QB.. unlike the I-A level, that means he'll stick around which could mean (relatively speaking) some amazing things from Appy St.

Edit: And he's not even the best offensive weapon on the team. RB Kevin Richardson is on the Payton award watch list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 08-29-2007 at 10:10 PM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #65
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Not that I think Appy St. will win, but they won the I-AA title last year with a spectacular Freshman QB.. unlike the I-A level, that means he'll stick around which could mean (relatively speaking) some amazing things from Appy St.

Edit: And he's not even the best offensive weapon on the team. RB Kevin Richardson is on the Payton award watch list.

Bumping for prosperity's sake. I tried to warn everyone.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #66
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I was bummed Va Tech didn't come out in the black uniforms.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #67
highfiveoh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Bumping for prosperity's sake. I tried to warn everyone.

So to summarize, you didn't think Appalachian State would win, but they did. What am I missing?
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #68
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfiveoh View Post
So to summarize, you didn't think Appalachian State would win, but they did. What am I missing?

Hah. Yeah, I didn't think they would win - but I said that everyone was underestimating just how good they were and they might do some amazing things that people didn't think they could do.

One of those things just happens to be block two FG's and win.

Quote:
Old 09-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #69
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Oh, heck yeah. Even in spite of coming off a 3-9 disaster, just the mere fact that I'm back in the Triangle in time for football season has me pumped. I don't know when I'll be able to make it out to Carter-Finley for a game (season tickets sold out), but at least I won't have to labor through Illinois-Indiana-type Big 10 matchups overriding the national game on ABC anymore.

Oh, and one of those three wins was a 23-10 win over the defending national champs from App State, so I don't think the Michigan folks have a whole lot to worry about. I think Appy will play hard and fired up for a half just because of the opportunity to play at Michigan Stadium, but the Wolverines should still end up smoking them.

Um...well...0-for-2 on the day. *sigh*
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #70
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am not sure how this one came about either. It could be that App. State wanted the match-up to get their name out there. If that's the case, then it's working, as I had never heard of App. State before they showed up on Michigan's schedule.

And now I'm sure you'll never forget them
korme is offline   Reply With Quote