Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

OT - American Release of CM4 canned

Just so you lot are aware :-

(Copied from sigames.com)
It is with huge sorrow that we must announce that Eidos have decided not to release Championship Manager 4 on the American continent with real player data. We were given the option of releasing with "fictional" data, as we are forced to do in Germany, but this was ultimately unacceptable to us.
The decision was made after Eidos US consulted with a number of lawyers who believed that the risks of releasing the game outweighed the potential commercial success of the game.

We are very disappointed with this decision, particularly after the amount of work that everyone at SI has put in to try and make it happen, but we have lost the battle. That does not mean that we won't win the battle in the future, but, for the time being, Championship Manager 4 will not be released across the Atlantic.
(End Copy)

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #2
neofied
Banned

Hey Marc. Somebody beat you to it with this thread already. But thanks for the news, even though its a bit disappointing.

At least we have some sites that specialize in selling imports and places overseas that will ship to the States.

Hopefully you guys can find a way to get CM on store shelves here in the future.

On another note, what does this mean for EHM?
neofied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

We are a much faster news organization than you are, Marc.

Our Own Notice Of This

I am disappointed, of course, that a bunch of lawyers and self-important people (NOT talking about the programmers at SIGAMES, BTW) couldn't get this deal done, but then, when you can buy it online with everything you need (including the real players option), it matters little except to those who aren't patient enough to wait a few days for it to be delivered.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

"On another note, what does this mean for EHM?"

Nothing at all - the two are very different products and one is simulating an American sport and should do well in that market, whereas one is simulating a largely European based sport.

We will continue to work to try and get CM released at retail in America - and one day I'm sure it will be
Old 06-10-2003, 03:46 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Or those of us who live in areas with incredibly horrible deliverymen who frequently lose things and are worried about the delivery coming. Of course, I've only had regular us mail disapper.. but still, it makes me a little reluctant to buy online, although I may get over this eventually and buy CM4 once I've worn out CM 2001/2002 which I just bought (via softwrap)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

Oh just order it from gogamer. You have to have to 2d pitch. It makes simulating the game SO much more exciting than simply seeing the score appear.

If any devs are listening, SOMEONE MUST DO THIS FOR A PRO FOOTBALL SIM! Increases immersion by a factor of 10.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:01 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

FYI, Eaglesfan, GoGamer ships by FedEx, not USPS, and it's tracked so chances are it will be hard to lose it since you can just log on and tell them where it is.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Marc: I know you just program it, you're not the lawyer-ish type.. but would you see getting licensing for all the leagues to be a problem for EHM? And would you see that game getting a USA full fledged release, or will it be like CM, with only ordering via UK mail-order?
Old 06-10-2003, 04:23 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Even though I just finished investing in CM 2001/2002 for my first CM experience, I do think I'm going to break down and order CM4 from gogamer.com in a few weeks after EP4 comes out I can't believe I've never played this game sooner :o
Old 06-10-2003, 04:25 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Eaglesfan: Excellent, join the darkside

(waiting for swaggs to start grumbling and yelling "Can we get all these CM fans their own forum! God I hate soccer.. first Hattrick and now this"
Old 06-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #11
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Yep Eaglesfan, join the "dark side" before getting used to CM01/02, you'll find the experience even better
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm really curious.. why would I find the CM4 experience so much more enjoyable if I don't get used to CM 01/02?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:30 PM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, some features (print, a range of attribute searching (ie, with at least 3 attributes that you select so high), is missing, but the 2d Pitch makes you enjoy the game better then trying to muddle through text commentary THEN going as 2d
Old 06-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #14
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I have been afraid for a long time that SI would find it difficult to come to terms with the various leagues over here. They are greedy at the best of times, and money is tight now so they will demand more than ever before. We will see what happens with EHM, and I know Marc (et al) will be as optimistic as possible, but it is going to be a tough deal to work out.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:36 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I must confess that after trying the demo, I broke down and just purchased CM 4 from Gogamer.com. So, now I've bought CM 01/02 and CM 4 in the same week :o . Now, I have a dilemma. I've decided I am going to wait til CM 4 gets here this Friday (least that is when I'm anticipating it, I just hope Fedex doesn't somehow misdeliver it. But I digress, here is the dilemma: I'm giving my computer and all of the games which can be played without a CD to my step-brother who is starting college this fall (and buying myself a state of the art gaming computer which my wife can't complain about since it is her family member getting the computer ) Do I dare give him CM 01/02? I'm afraid he might get too addicted and start flunking out of school. It should be mentioned his work ethic is already not that strong. If I don't give it to him and move it to my new computer, then I will have two redundant games (which I'm not too worried about because I like supporting great games) but I don't know if I'll ever play them both. So, do I dare give him CM 01/02 and risk his future?
Old 06-10-2003, 09:17 PM   #16
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Give him the game. The more sacrifices you commit to CM the more Lord Vaughan will reward you in the afterlife. Trust me.

Besides, I have no work ethic, been hopelessly addicted to CM for over 5 years and I did all right (checks last semester's marks)...uh...on second thought
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:24 PM   #17
PilotMan
Head Coach

hmmm.....hell yeah!

Thats what college is for, isn't it? That and the beer....mmmmmmm.....beeeeeeer.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:27 PM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola, seriously, Strat O Matic, and the Trunzo's boxing game almost did me in. Do It!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:30 PM   #19
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
Eaglesfan: Excellent, join the darkside

(waiting for swaggs to start grumbling and yelling "Can we get all these CM fans their own forum! God I hate soccer.. first Hattrick and now this"

Can we get all these CM fans their own forum? God I hate soccer.. first Hattrick and now this!

It will have to do.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 02:03 AM   #20
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
Marc: I know you just program it, you're not the lawyer-ish type.. but would you see getting licensing for all the leagues to be a problem for EHM? And would you see that game getting a USA full fledged release, or will it be like CM, with only ordering via UK mail-order?

I can't say 100% for sure BUT I don't think it will be as much of a problem as with soccer with regards to the European leagues, most of them are fairly small and I imagine would be fairly pleased by the extra exposure (my stance on this comes mainly from the enthusiasm we've had from the London Knights with regards to helping with the project).

With regards to the NHL, I'm sure there will be numerous tripwires for the legal-eagles to overcome for an American release, however as with licencing for CM itself we will do everything possible to overcome any hurdles that appear.

EHM:FE is aimed towards hockey fans and America has a large percentage of them, so we're obviously looking to get an American release for the game and this will be something we look for when we sign the game to a publisher.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:18 AM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Well, EagleFan, if your step brother is not motivated enough to do his schoolwork, he will find enough distractions without the game. Giving it to him somewhat justifies the purchase of a second copy.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:02 AM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've thought about it a fair amount last night and this morning. Giving him CM 01/02 will make me feel better about buying CM4 in the same week. Also, people are correct I'm going to be giving him several other games that I have which could just as easily distract him. Nevermind, all of the other distractions that exist in college. I messed up bad my first semester from allowing myself to get too distracted with a lot of different things (alcohol and computer games not actually being at the top of the list but on the list), but then realized I better get my act straight or I wasn't going to achieve what I wanted to do (become a doctor.) Therefore, I doubt this one game is going to ruin his future if he really wants to become an engineer (although I still think he needs to work on his work ethic, but that is up to him.)
Old 06-11-2003, 10:08 AM   #23
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Hahah. Computers had nothing to do with my original 'troubles' in college. It was all about girls and beer. Then it was bands, girls, radio station, and beer. Then it was radio station and girls. Then it was computers and radio station. Then it was just computers as the distraction.

It is better to give the guy an addictive computer game to distract him, because otherwise he will go out and find expensive distractions like I did.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:57 PM   #24
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
With regards to the NHL, I'm sure there will be numerous tripwires for the legal-eagles to overcome for an American release, however as with licencing for CM itself we will do everything possible to overcome any hurdles that appear.

Again, I know that EIDOS will probably have most of the legal wrangles here, but I'm not optimistic about your chances of getting an NHL license at all...particularly considering the labor problems in the league right now (we have probably seen our last hockey game in a while, with talk of a lockout or strike looming).

The league is starting to resemble Major League Baseball in terms of the acrimony between players and owners, and unfortunately, the NHL doesn't have the kind of revenue streams (i.e. TV Money) that the other major North American pro sports have.

Still, I'm hoping for the best. The market is starving for a good Pro Hockey Sim, and even with generic rosters I'd probably buy it.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:09 PM   #25
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The CBA does not expire until after the 2003-2004 season, WussGawd, so we get one more season before the bottom falls out.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:24 PM   #26
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
The CBA does not expire until after the 2003-2004 season, WussGawd, so we get one more season before the bottom falls out.

Damn, I hate it when I'm wrong.

Now that I think about it, you're right. Still, as much as the owners are crying poverty right now (3 teams in some form of financial crisis over the last year), I'm not optimistic that the NHL will come to its senses and allow the release of a game with real player data/franchise names without extorting a boatload of money.

Don't be terribly surprised though, if there are vague rumblings about a strike next season to preempt a probable owners lockout prior to the 2004-2005 season start. This one will be ugly before it is over.

Last edited by WussGawd : 06-12-2003 at 08:26 PM.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:35 PM   #27
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Boy, am I glad I'm not living overseas; basically I am, though on the other side of the UK...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 09:42 PM   #28
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

What is the status on the hockey sim?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:53 AM   #29
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
What is the status on the hockey sim?

Taking shape nicely

I want to keep the 'hype' on it fairly low until its nearing a demo, so don't be surprised if you don't hear much about it until late Autumn.