Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

The worst pain I have -ever- been in...

Got the Zoom 2 Whitening done on my teeth today at the dentist's. It's a procedure that involves 3 (sometimes 4) 15-minute sessions of peroxide gel and UV light on the teeth.

I'd been given a tube of de-sensitizing flouride toothpaste to use for two weeks beforehand, which I did. The dental hygienist was extremely thorough in prepping me and my dentist assisted in the prep, which entailed a dental dam, a ton of gauze, UV protection glasses, etc. This is a dentist and staff that I switched over to about a month ago after finally getting fed up with years of incompetence from my childhood dentist and his staff. They've been absolutely fantastic and they did a superb job in preparing me, warning me that there could be some zingers and tooth sensitivity during and afterwards... gave me a 4-page document/waiver that explained potential complications, etc.

First 15 minutes, I got a few zingers (extremely sharp, stinging pain in a tooth), but nothing too terrible. I'm thinking okay, no problem, I can handle it.

Hygienist and dentist both came in during the first round and afterwards to check on me and they re-prepped me for the second round. Got an incredibly nasty zinger on a bottom tooth, so the dentist guazed up the bottom teeth even more and told the hygienist to avoid the bottom half of the bottom teeth.

So the hygienist set up the light for the second round precisely to that instruction.

Midway through the second 15 minutes, my mouth came alive with non-stop zingers and they had to turn the light off with 3 minutes left to go in the second round.

I then sat there in my chair literally shaking and tearing up I was in so much pain. To their credit, both dentists in the practice came in and were extremely sympathetic, as was the rest of the staff that stopped by. They also commented that my teeth were incredibly white, especially relative to what they'd been. The head dentist remarked that my teeth had really taken to the UV light and soaked it up, which is why I was having so many zingers and such hypersensitivity.

So they give me a prescription for Vicodin, the first time they've ever had to do that with a patient getting the procedure done, along with some relief gel, some sensitive teeth toothpaste and some guaze.

In the 15 and 1/2 hours since then, I've been in nothing but constant pain in my mouth. No burning anywhere like I later found out some people have had, because the staff was so meticulous and careful in their preparations, but a non-stop stream of zingers.

The first Vicodin knocked me out a few hours. The second dose of Advil 2 hours later did nothing. The second Vicodin 2 hours later did nothing. Third dose of Advil 2 hours after that did nothing. The relief gel that I tried in between the cycles of Vicodin and Advil (recommended by my dentist to go in those alternating cycles, btw) did nothing.

Eating some white rice helped (I'm on an all-white diet for the next 48 hours), but not for long. Finally things ar starting to lessen in pain a bit after the third and last Vicodin.

But my teeth are still so sensitive when I open my mouth to talk, the air hits them and the pain comes back full force, so I've resolved not to talk until the sensitivity subsides some more.

Even if the teeth stay pretty white after they re-hydrate, I would never, ever have this done again. The back pain that led to my cortisone injection was a small pinch compared to this.

I found out after reading online about an hour ago that a lot of people have gone through the exact same thing I have. If I'd have known about this startlingly relatively common reaction beforehand, I probably wouldn't have done it.

http://www.rebeccablood.net/archive/...g_caution.html

^---- That's the site where I found a lot of the testimonials that let me know I'm not alone. Consider this a cautionary tale for FOFCers.

Yes, I know not everyone has this type of reaction, but it's commonplace even that it needs to be taken in consideration, I think.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you combine this thread with Big Jon's, you get Anal Bleaching.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
Schmidty
Coordinator

Sorry man. Hope you feel better soon.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
korme
Go Reds

In a week, you will be completely happy with your decision to have the procedure. I am sure it is worth the pain (my mom is in the field).

Last edited by korme : 08-24-2007 at 01:21 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks, guys.

I've picked up a case of the hiccups on top of it... just hope the sensitivity's either gone or drastically reduced by the time I have to go into work this afternoon.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Sounds horrible. I'm a wimp about pain, so that makes me squirm. Hope you feel better.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Sorry about that dude...dental work gives me the heebie-jeebies...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Having sensitive teeth sucks.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

You'll be cool in 2 days. I actually did this the day we recorded our show once... I would get shooting pains so bad they would stop me mid-sentence and basically wipe any thought i was having right out of my head.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Hehe...dental dam.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

suck it up, buttercup
Old 08-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

28 hours after and the sensitivity is drastically reduced. Though there's still some there, it's at the tolerable level, thankfully.

Teeth are still quite white too, which is a plus. I'm sure there'll be some fadeback, but hopefully it won't be -too- bad.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I had this done a few years ago, and yeah... the first 24 hours sucked. But I'm actually thinking of having it done again, so I guess I'm either a sucker for punishment or the pain was worth it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Are they just noticably whiter, or Ross Gellar white? pxplskthx.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #15
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I had this done a few years ago, and yeah... the first 24 hours sucked. But I'm actually thinking of having it done again, so I guess I'm either a sucker for punishment or the pain was worth it.

Why? You're in radio....

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote