Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

John from Cincinnati Season One Thread

Interested to see this show as I think Milch is an awesome writer.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Captain2711
High School JV

Carnivale meets Point Break?? It's having trouble keeping my attention so far
Old 06-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Bad-example
College Starter

Tim Goodman has declared this show, based on the first three episodes, to be crap.http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...KGIKQ7LIR1.DTL

I will give it my usual five episode (or so) grace period, but the previews didn't look promising.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So far that review is dead on. Some funny dialogue but so far it's just chaos. Way too much is going on.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

The writing is exactly like it was in Deadwood. Lots of people cursing and asking/answering there own questions.

I thought the show was amusing. A lot of good actors.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I heard about this show. What channel is it on?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
spleen1015
Coordinator

HBO

I am willing to give it a few episodes. I laughed a little bit. John is amusing.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I think there are some flyers up in my neighborhood, that say John from Cincinnati, and something about a lost cat.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I think there are some flyers up in my neighborhood, that say John from Cincinnati, and something about a lost cat.

I guess that does have something to do with the show:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
HBO is currently running a subtle street promotion campaign using standard issue lost pet and for sale signs posted on phone poles in parts of Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City to promote awareness of the name of the show and its main character John Monad.

Don't know how well it worked, since I didn't know it was a TV show until today, and I'd been seeing those things for weeks. Also, I thought "John from Cincinnati" was the name of the cat. If the show were about a cat named "John from Cincinnati," I might have been interested. Oh, well -- I don't get HBO anyway.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

I'll give it a few weeks but the first episode really didn't hold my attention at all.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud a number of times. I'm still looking for a story though, like someone said it was mostly chaos.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
moriarty
College Starter

I caught like 10 minutes, saw Ed Bundy and some dude levitating b/c he had a tumour (?) Maybe you have to watch the whole thing, but I was like WTF, and promptly turned it off.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud a number of times. I'm still looking for a story though, like someone said it was mostly chaos.

"
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
Bad-example
College Starter

I watched the first episode and will watch the second On Demand tonight. I was frustrated that I couldn't understand a fair amount of the dialogue. It was like some of it was mumbled by the actors and I found myself wishing for subtitles.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This is a pretty odd show, even by my standards. Might give it 1-2 more episodes, but it needs to do something to gab me soon or I'm punching out.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #16
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

i was not impressed last night, i have it set on the dvr so i'll give it a couple more episodes. i think whoever used chaos to describe it was spot on.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #17
John Galt
Pro Starter

I watched the second episode last night on DVR. I have to say that it wasn't nearly as jumbled as the first. There is definitely some weird stuff happening and I'm curious to see where it goes. I'll definitely be watching for a while longer.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #18
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Definately a show you have to pay very careful attention too.

John definately has some kind of power. He can tell the future or something. He predicated what would happen to shawny. He talked about room 24, before barry the fairy went in there and freaked out.

He was freaking out that guy from deadwood (drug dealer).

John is some kind of a alien or angel is my current guess.

Overall my wife and I find this show fantastic, I think it is going to be great.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 06-19-2007 at 11:31 AM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #19
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

John also can pull seemingly whatever the other person wants out of his pocket. He pulled exactly $50 out in the first episode for the truck transportation. He pulled exactly $2300 out when Butchie wanted his money or "ice cream". Butchie pulled a cell phone out of John's pocket when he realized he left his at home. He also pulled a drivers license out to show Butchie his name when he was asked for it.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #20
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

I don't remember him pulling his license out, do you mean his platinum credit card? Either way, you're right in that he can pull whatever someone wants out of his pocket. This episode he was also asking Butchy what he wanted, but Butchy never replied.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just got caught up... it's an interesting mystery right now. Not really much of a plot, but I think they are trying to flesh out the characters first. Though, if we don't find out more about John soon, I'll probably get frustrated with it. Works for now, but the "I dropped out of the sky and know nothing other than how to parrot English and pull whatever out my pockets" act has to go somewhere soon.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #22
timmynausea
College Starter

This discussion died down in a hurry. We just got caught up and really like this one. It's definitely weird, but the characters are interesting, there's a lot of funny dialog, and I really want to figure out exactly what is going on.

Clearly they're not telling us everything just yet, but for whatever reason I'm just trusting that it'll all pay off and enjoying the ride. Something about the way things have been handled just makes me feel less jerked around than a more openly manipulative cliffhanger type show.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #23
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm enjoying it as well. My wife walked out halfway through the first episode because she didn't like it, but I was watching the third episode on the DVR last night and she sat down and watched the whole thing with me and seemed to enjoy it (although she kept asking questions which annoys me). I think it's one of those shows where you have to kind of like "weird" movies to enjoy fully.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #24
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

[quote=Bee;1495428 (although she kept asking questions which annoys me). [/QUOTE]

Man, alive. I hate that. It makes want to scream "I invested time in this, and you didn't! Now you want to rob me of the time I invested and take it for yourself? FUCK YOU!"

So far, I've never yelled that, but it may happen someday.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #25
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Man, alive. I hate that. It makes want to scream "I invested time in this, and you didn't! Now you want to rob me of the time I invested and take it for yourself? FUCK YOU!"

Heh. I end up asking Ms. Path questions all the time on shows. She hasn't killed me.....yet.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #26
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

John from Cincinnati is my wife's favorite new show. Ed O'neill has some great rants to his bird. Some of the things that John repeats and the timing in which he repeats it, are hilarious.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #27
Bad-example
College Starter

Still watching but I can't say I know why, other than the good casting and high production values. Is John is an alien or jebus? One thing is certain: this is a poor trade off for a final season of Deadwood.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #28
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

Yeah, I feel the same way but I like sex too much to actually say it.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #29
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm glad i gave this show three episodes...it's really picking up steam. I'm hopeful for this show.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #30
Bad-example
College Starter

Wow. I was hoping this show would get better but they sure laid a huge turd this week. I guess I will give it a little longer but it is not looking good. It is as if they took the worst elements of Carnivale (ridiculous, unbelievable main story) and Big Love (uninteresting, unlikeable characters) and combined them into a gigantic failure of a show.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #31
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Uninteresting characters?!?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #32
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

John is the son of God. I think this show is very good because it requires you to pay attention to what John and pretty much everyone says and does...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #33
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Wow. I was hoping this show would get better but they sure laid a huge turd this week. I guess I will give it a little longer but it is not looking good. It is as if they took the worst elements of Carnivale (ridiculous, unbelievable main story) and Big Love (uninteresting, unlikeable characters) and combined them into a gigantic failure of a show.

Wow. To each his own, I suppose.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #34
TroyF
Coordinator

I thought this episode was the best of the lot. I was about ready to give up on it, but I really enjoyed this weeks episode. I loved the speech in the parking lot. To each his/her own.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #35
Bee
Pro Starter

I loved the parking lot speech as well. I think the show has gotten better and better, but I also completely understand why some don't like it. Definitely not a show for every taste.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #36
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

This article I just read about the upcoming show Tell Me You Love Me implies that rating are dropping.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-18-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #37
GoDukes
Mascot

This show is horrible.
GoDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #38
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDukes View Post
This show is horrible.

If horrible means excellent, then I agree 100%
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI.....just heard on the news that this show will be cancelled after this season. We hardly knew ye.........
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #40
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FYI.....just heard on the news that this show will be cancelled after this season. We hardly knew ye.........

I hope someone at HBO got fired for replacing the excellent Deadwood with this steaming pile of dung.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #41
Anthony
Banned

i think it was replacing The Sopranos more than Deadwood. and Deadwood wasn't cancelled (not that i watched it), the creator decided to end it. HBO should've found a way to keep Rome on the air, i'd still be a subscriber.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i think it was replacing The Sopranos more than Deadwood. and Deadwood wasn't cancelled (not that i watched it), the creator decided to end it. HBO should've found a way to keep Rome on the air, i'd still be a subscriber.

Yep, Rome was definitely the keeper.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #43
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post

The same guy that made Deadwood made this show. HBO pressured him to truncate season 4 so he could focus his energy on the new show. Eventually, they "negotiated" season 4 of Deadwood down to a couple 2 hour movies that never got made. The details are in one of the Deadwood threads from last year.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #44
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
The same guy that made Deadwood made this show. HBO pressured him to truncate season 4 so he could focus his energy on the new show. Eventually, they "negotiated" season 4 of Deadwood down to a couple 2 hour movies that never got made. The details are in one of the Deadwood threads from last year.

I saw where he was in negotiations to extend his relationship with HBO, so despite the failure of JfC it seems HBO still has faith in the guy.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #45
Logan
Head Coach

Thread title was a little too forward-thinking.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #46
timmynausea
College Starter

Not at all surprised to hear it got canceled, but it's too bad. I really liked it. I do find it insane that someone at HBO must have thought this would be more accessible than Deadwood and pushed to get it into the Sunday at 9 slot right after the Sopranos ended.

I mean, I was riveted to the screen when it was on, but I never really found much satisfaction in the story and got a little frustrated at times. I can only imagine what a fan of Law and Order or CSI would be thinking while watching this.

HBO could be in trouble soon. They have no franchise subscriber-magnet type show, and this is yet another one heaped on the junk pile. I also agree that Rome should've been a keeper, but from what I understand it lost money left and right. Still, that was a great show.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #47
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's an article about the cancellation. At the bottom of the article, it lists the new shows in production. The vampire show written by the creator of 'Six Feet Under' sounds like one I'd like as I was a big fan of that show. Also, don't forget that the Spielberg/Hanks miniseries about WWII in the Pacific is in production as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...rss_topstories
Old 08-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
HBO could be in trouble soon. They have no franchise subscriber-magnet type show, and this is yet another one heaped on the junk pile. I also agree that Rome should've been a keeper, but from what I understand it lost money left and right. Still, that was a great show.

Big Love is drawing very good ratings for HBO. I think it's a bit much to say that's not a big show for them.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #49
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Big Love is drawing very good ratings for HBO. I think it's a bit much to say that's not a big show for them.

Every article I've seen says Big Love has particularly poor ratings.

Quote:
The renewal comes despite some not so big ratings for Big Love. The show's viewership peaked during its first season, when it averaged nearly 4 million viewers in its cushy post-Sopranos slot on Sunday nights. Since the second season premiered, ratings have dipped to just 2 million viewers, though the network blames shifting schedules, not the series' quality, for the Nielsen plunge.

Even factoring in the Monday night aspect, those numbers put it at about a quarter of the viewership that the Sopranos had. (That's being somewhat generous as The Sopranos crossed the 10 million mark at times.)

I was a huge Six Feet Under fan. I read a couple of the books that True Blood is based on, and my hopes aren't too high. I am really looking forward to the George R.R. Martin series, but that is quite a ways off.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #50
Anthony
Banned

the way my wife and i do it these days is we've cancelled our premium channels, and if a must-see show comes on we'll simply view it season by season by buying it at a store. we don't watch Entourage, but i can see us eventually renting the DVDs at some point in the future. the money is basically the same, figure $50 or so for a season set, compared to paying $30 extra a month for a premium channel package. not worth it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote