Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Was A-Rod wrong for screaming rounding the bases vs Toronto?
Yes 46 46.00%
No 49 49.00%
Obligatory trout 5 5.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #52
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Legal doesn't mean right. That's about as simple as it gets. It's a play that should get ARod beaned in the head the next time Toronto sees him and should have gotten him punched on site. It's the same lack of class that he displayed with the swipe at the pitcher a couple years back and is quickly becoming the kind of thing that defines him as a person.

If it's not right, then the powers that be should make it illegal. Until or unless they do this practice is technically "right" and I have no problem with it.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #53
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
First off, I'm not saying folks who are upset "have no clue." I'm simply asking why folks are so upset about something that is legal.

This may be splitting hairs, but rather than calling this a legal play, I would say that it is not illegal. It is functionally the same, but it has a slightly different feel.

Then again, I have always been one to dislike all of the cheap-but-not-illegal activities in all sports. I understand that everybody does it to get even the slightest edge, but I'm not fond of it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #54
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
This may be splitting hairs, but rather than calling this a legal play, I would say that it is not illegal. It is functionally the same, but it has a slightly different feel.

Then again, I have always been one to dislike all of the cheap-but-not-illegal activities in all sports. I understand that everybody does it to get even the slightest edge, but I'm not fond of it.

That's a fair enough point. And for what it's worth, the fan in me tends to agree with you. I'm not trying to argue that this is a "good" play at all, as I personally tend to dislike this kind of stuff. But, it is legal (or not illegal, if frowned upon) and it helps his team, so I don't have a problem with him doing it (and the manager in me says "if it'll help us win then by all means do it!").
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #55
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
That's a fair enough point. And for what it's worth, the fan in me tends to agree with you. I'm not trying to argue that this is a "good" play at all, as I personally tend to dislike this kind of stuff. But, it is legal (or not illegal, if frowned upon) and it helps his team, so I don't have a problem with him doing it (and the manager in me says "if it'll help us win then by all means do it!").

If this situation had led to a game-winning run, I would personally prefer my team lose rather than win this way. I'm not a "win at all costs" person, but I wouldn't argue against those that are. I know that I am way in the minority.

Our Little League coach occasionally had us do a hidden ball trick on opponents. I always felt ashamed when it worked.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #56
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Jays and Yankees play tonight for the first time since the incident. Josh Towers is pitching for Toronto.

Regardless of whether you thought A-Rod's move was bush league or not, do you think Towers has to dot him? If so, how do the Yankees react?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #57
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
The Jays and Yankees play tonight for the first time since the incident. Josh Towers is pitching for Toronto.

Regardless of whether you thought A-Rod's move was bush league or not, do you think Towers has to dot him? If so, how do the Yankees react?

I forgot about this... I don't think he gets hit.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #58
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Towers should hit him with the first pitch he sees. The Blue Jays aren't going anywhere this year, so what's a suspension going to do? I think the whole episode was overplayed by the media, but Towers needs to let A-Rod know that he can't do that sort of thing without a large welt in return.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #59
CraigSca
Pro Starter

They mentioned this on the FAN today. They think he'll get hit, and they recommend ARod not make a big deal out of it (unless they go for his head, which they don't think they'll do).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #60
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hit him, put him on and have Thomas playing 1B. Frank gets to try out a powerbomb.

Sure, it won't happen, but it looks plenty funny in my head.

In all seriousness, I'm really curious to see if they do anything. If I were a betting man I'd say nothing, as a fan of the game, he should get hit. Assuming the umps may even warn both teams before the start of the game, maybe Janssen starts the game warming up in the pen?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #61
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Put one in his ribs on the first pitch, and it's done with (assuming he doesn't react like a girl).
Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #62
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Hit him, put him on and have Thomas playing 1B. Frank gets to try out a powerbomb.

Sure, it won't happen, but it looks plenty funny in my head.

In all seriousness, I'm really curious to see if they do anything. If I were a betting man I'd say nothing, as a fan of the game, he should get hit. Assuming the umps may even warn both teams before the start of the game, maybe Janssen starts the game warming up in the pen?

Starting the game with a reliever warming up would send a message.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #63
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Starting the game with a reliever warming up would send a message.

Be better to start with Towers in the pen and have League start the game
Old 07-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #64
larrymcg421
Head Coach

A-Rod should take the hit, take his base, and say, "See, I'm not gonna whine like you pussies did."

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #65
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
A-Rod should take the hit, take his base, and say, "See, I'm not gonna whine like you pussies did."

And prove himself a liar and a whiner. Two-fer.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #66
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
And prove himself a liar and a whiner. Two-fer.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #67
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Put one in his ribs on the first pitch, and it's done with (assuming he doesn't react like a girl).

I agree. I also hope the umpire decides that the pitcher was intentionally throwing at Rodriguez and throws the pitcher out of the game. I also hope the Blue Jays don't insult our intelligence by saying it was not intentional or it was a pitch that "just slipped"
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #68
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't think they'll hit A-Rod his first time up. I think they'll wait until the Yankees are up 8-2 before they hit him. If they throw at his head the Yankees will put Proctor in and he'll throw one at Frank Thomas's head and it'll all be settled. I see Kei Igawa is starting for New York so change that to 8-2 in favor of Toronto when they hit him.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #69
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

And.... the Jays puss out. Nice work. Wouldn't want to jeapordize a sure win in the form of a start by the mighty Josh Towers.

We were almost vaguely relevant in the AL East for at least one night for the first time in the Riccardi era... really dodged a bullet there.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #70
Jas_lov
College Starter

Another A-bomb for A-Rod. They should have hit him.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #71
miami_fan
Coordinator

Does it really make sense to fnally hit A-Rod on the same night that Clemens is pitching?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #72
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So the Jays threw at A-Rod last night, and then hit him tonight, clearing the benches for a couple of half-hearted shoving matches.

I don't get it. You had a chance to send a message last month and you didn't. Why now? Especially tonight, since Towers already faced A-Rod last time around. I know there were warnings last time, but this just seems like a case of picking your spot.

P.S. Don't you wish you could bet on things like "If A-Rod was ever hit intentionally, he'd take a few steps to the mound but not actually charge"?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #73
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
P.S. Don't you wish you could bet on things like "If A-Rod was ever hit intentionally, he'd take a few steps to the mound but not actually charge"?

Yes Bill Simmons. ;D
Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #74
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yes Bill Simmons. ;D
Not good times. Bad times.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #75
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

And now Clemens drills Rios and gets tossed.

Come on Roger, why not wait two months?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #76
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

one thing that cant be questioned.
Roger will play the game the "right" way and he isnt scared to come in high and hard.

I mean really, for the sake of your own players, don't bean him with a 72 year old steroid fueled rocket on the mound, it cant end good.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #77
Logan
Head Coach

Without a doubt, the only Yankee pitcher who protects his teammates.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #78
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
one thing that cant be questioned.
Roger will play the game the "right" way and he isnt scared to come in high and hard.

I mean really, for the sake of your own players, don't bean him with a 72 year old steroid fueled rocket on the mound, it cant end good.

He plays the game the "right" way and then you say he uses steroids, which is it? Anyway, Roger had a good game tonight and did the right thing sticking up for his teammate like he always does. The Yankees got to try out their supposed new 7th inning man, Joba Chamberlain, so it all worked out for the best and the Yankees win again.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #79
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought because A-Rod had broken one of those unwritten rules, the Yankees were not suppose to retaliate.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #80
Huckleberry
College Starter

I can explain why the Blue Jays waited. Because they're pussies. The same reason they whined about the original incident in the first place.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #81
Logan
Head Coach

So when one pussy hits another pussy, what does that mean?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #82
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Hot lesbian action.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #83
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

hot lesbian action?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #84
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: lol, dammit
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #85
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
I can explain why the Blue Jays waited. Because they're pussies. The same reason they whined about the original incident in the first place.

+1
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #86
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
dola: lol, dammit

Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #87
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
I don't have a problem with them whining about the original incident. But it's either a big deal or it's not. If it is, take care of it first chance you get and move on. If not, shut up about it.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #88
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't mind the original incident. I don't mind throwing at him in retaliation (although I agree it should have been done sooner.) And I don't mind Clemens paying that back. It's all baseball.

I hate both ARod and (especially) Clemens, but don't have a problem with anything they did in this situation.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #89
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I thought because A-Rod had broken one of those unwritten rules, the Yankees were not suppose to retaliate.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with them whining about the original incident. But it's either a big deal or it's not. If it is, take care of it first chance you get and move on. If not, shut up about it.

Yeah, I think if they throw at ARod the first time they play the Yankees don't retaliate. Problem comes when they don't do it right away but wait. On top of that they throw behind him one night and then hit him the next.

Christ it's not rocket science it's simple baseball justice. Seems the Jays would screw up a wet-dream.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #90
SteveMax58
College Starter

I think the Jays should just chant something like "Hey, batter, batter, batter...SWING!!!" next time he comes up.

That'll teach him to force them into [falling for] bush league tactics.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #91
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Hot lesbian action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
hot lesbian action?

Bump, set...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #92
MikeVic
Head Coach

Heh, ESPN.com has a timeline of cheating in sports up right now.

They actually included this in there. When you read the other entries, this one seems like such a far reach.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #93
MikeVic
Head Coach

I re-watched Major League 2 today. There's a scene where Willie Mays Hays tries to run-out a pop up to the 2B, and yells "I got it!" The 2B stops going for the ball, and Hays is safe. The team they're playing? The Blue Jays.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #94
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I re-watched Major League 2 today. There's a scene where Willie Mays Hays tries to run-out a pop up to the 2B, and yells "I got it!" The 2B stops going for the ball, and Hays is safe. The team they're playing? The Blue Jays.

That's the Omar Epps influence. Wesley wouldn't have done that.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #95
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
That's the Omar Epps influence. Wesley wouldn't have done that.

Ah yeah, bush-league Omar.