Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
PING: People who have dogs - PUPPY PICTURES INSIDE!!!!

We just got a new puppy - he is a mutt, we adopted him - we think he is beagle/jack russell terrier mix. We got him a week ago Saturday (July 21) and he's been perfectly healthy and playful. This past Sunday (7/29) he got into some dry cat food and threw up that night, 3 or 4 times. His stomach, which had been very round, got smaller, and he's been lethargic and not eating ever since then. The girl who is checking on him and taking him out just texted me and said he looks "dangerously skinny", and it doesn't look like he's eaten any of the food we gave him this morning or has drank any of the water we left him. He's still very lethargic.

I called my vet and told them what was going on, she said I could give him some PediaLyte, and I made an appt to bring him in Thursday morning before we leave to go out of town for a few days. She didn't make it sound super urgent or say they needed to see him right away.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? What did you give them to make them feel better? Is there some magic trick for puppies with upset tummies that I don't know about?

Thanks!

Last edited by oliegirl : 07-31-2007 at 05:14 PM.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My dog eats the catfood all the time but has never had a problem.

I wouldn't worry if the vet isn't worried
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Pyser
Pro Rookie

where'd you get the dog from?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Maybe I am a worrier, but three days without eating or drinking seems like a bigger deal than your vet is making it out to be.

Not trying to worry you or anything, but when our dog had stomach issues, the vet said to bring him in if it went more than 24 hours with the lethergy and the non-eating.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
where'd you get the dog from?

We adopted him from PetSmart - actually it was a local shelter (Big Canoe, GA) that was there with the puppies they had for adoption. I have his vet records and he doesn't have any problems that would seem obvious like parvo or anything like that.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

My wife works for a Vet. You should take him in ASAP, and not to the vet who made it sound like no big deal
Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

Take him in today.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_Platypus View Post
My wife works for a Vet. You should take him in ASAP, and not to the vet who made it sound like no big deal

I may take him to the emergency clinic tonight, she is going to try to get him to take some broken up food, and I have some vitamin stuff that they gave me, said it was for when they were weaning puppies and it has a lot of vitamins and stuff in it...she's going to give him some of that and hopefully it will help.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Take him in today.

+2
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Put me in the "take him today" camp. If your son didn't eat for three days, would you be willing to wait until Thursday for him to see a doctor? I'd run as far as I could from that vet and take him elsewhere.

I'm no expert on dogs, but I like to play one on message boards. I know that it is possible for cat treats/food to cause kidney problems in dogs. I don't know exactly why and i know that it's not a given (as illustrated above with Lathum's dog). But that combined with not eating and I'd be in there immediately.

FWIW, I had a vet do something similar to me when my dog had his eye scratched. I was away from home so we weren't near our normal vet. I called a local vet and they said "oh, just bring him in tomorrow". This didn't sound right as he was BLEEDING IN HIS EYE. I immediately called another emergency vet place and they told me to bring him in right away that if his cornea was scratched waiting could be very bad.

Anyway. Take him in today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
graygoosetwelve
n00b

I got a puppy about a year ago, about 6 weeks old, you got really sick about a week after we got him home. We took him to the vet and he had parvo. He went from about 8 to 4 pounds in a matter of a few days. He wasn't eating or drinking much. But he survived because they are tough little guys. But taking him in as soon as possible is the best idea. You also don't know for sure that he is throwing up because of the cat food.
graygoosetwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Take the dog in to the vet, definitely.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Try giving the pup some salami... If he won't eat it, take him to the vet.

If he will... put some gravy on the dry food and wait. It will disappear!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Try giving the pup some salami... If he won't eat it, take him to the vet.

If he will... put some gravy on the dry food and wait. It will disappear!

Salami? Are you serious?

I don't have any salami...I do have ham and I think some turkey...can I try either of those?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
Salami? Are you serious?

I don't have any salami...I do have ham and I think some turkey...can I try either of those?

Any meat! Dogs can't resist it...
Old 07-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The reason dogs go for cat food is that cat's taste buds aren't as sensitive, so their food has to be much more tasty than dog's. If you had a choice between food that tasted average, and food that tasted WOW! which do you choose?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #17
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

let me say this again:

This is from her, and she knows a hell of a lot more than anybody on here
Old 07-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

Quote:

This is from her, and she knows a hell of a lot more than anybody on here

You say that like everyone here is telling her not to worry about it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

It's been a day and a half, and he did eat yesterday a little...so today is the only day that he hasn't eaten at all. My vet called me back, he thinks it's something called Coccidia, my dad is going to pick up some medicine for him and the vet said to give him some of what I have (the vitamin stuff) also and to give it 48 hours to work. He said if he's still feeling bad and showing symptoms Thursday morning to go ahead and bring him in, I have an appt at 9:20 in case I need it.

Thanks for everyone's input, I love that I can post something here and get quick answers...this place is awesome!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #20
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So where is the puppy pic?

The only thing better than a puppy pic is a Pumpy pic...
Old 07-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #21
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

As requested...the last 3 are of Weeble, the first one is my zoo - Piper is the bigger dog, Hagrid is the orange cat, Weeble is in there, and then in the background is Olie the cat admiring herself in the mirror...

Last edited by oliegirl : 07-31-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Awwwww...
Old 07-31-2007, 04:17 PM   #23
SnDvls
Pro Starter

cute dogs
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #24
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Thanks...they are SO sweet, I just love them to death! Can't wait to get home and get to Weeble...
Old 07-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #25
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
It's been a day and a half, and he did eat yesterday a little...so today is the only day that he hasn't eaten at all. My vet called me back, he thinks it's something called Coccidia, my dad is going to pick up some medicine for him and the vet said to give him some of what I have (the vitamin stuff) also and to give it 48 hours to work. He said if he's still feeling bad and showing symptoms Thursday morning to go ahead and bring him in, I have an appt at 9:20 in case I need it.

Thanks for everyone's input, I love that I can post something here and get quick answers...this place is awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidia

Again, I'm no vet (and I'd love N_P to chime in) but the idea that your vet would diagnose this AND prescribe medicine without ever seeing the pup.. is.. well... insane...

I'd personally be hunting for another vet immediately.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #26
Brillig
College Prospect

Well before anyone goes hunting for the vet, I'd note that the very wiki article you cite states

Quote:
Coccidia infection is so common that any pup under 4 months old with these symptoms can almost surely be assumed to have coccidiosis.

That said, the symptoms don't seem to jibe...
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #27
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

No, puppy had diarrhea with mucousy stuff in it early this morning...when the vet called back (he knows my family, we've been going to him with family pets for 20+ years) and I gave him more detail and mentioned that he told me about Coccidia. I looked it up online and found a ton of articles and a number of them mentioned that this is VERY common in puppies and the mucousy diarhhea is a sure sign of the bacteria.

I trust my vet implicitly...and I'm trying to not jump to conclusions because I know the information I got today was from a 15 year old. When I get home if he looks really bad I'll take him in tonight, but based on what I saw in him this morning and what I know from the vet about Coccidia, I have a good feeling that is what it is.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I don't like your vet. Too bad you don't live near me, I'd have a good recommendation for ya.
Edit: Now I see your message about your vet, you sound comfortable with it, so I guess that's all you can ask for. But I'd still recommend the vet I take Oz to out here above all others, if you were in the NoVa area.

Really cute menagerie, though!!! The puppy reminds me of the one that my sister and I found in Hot Springs, AR.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 07-31-2007 at 05:26 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #29
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I don't like your vet. Too bad you don't live near me, I'd have a good recommendation for ya.
Edit: Now I see your message about your vet, you sound comfortable with it, so I guess that's all you can ask for. But I'd still recommend the vet I take Oz to out here above all others, if you were in the NoVa area.

Really cute menagerie, though!!! The puppy reminds me of the one that my sister and I found in Hot Springs, AR.

/tk

I'm sure your vet is fabulous, but I'm not commuting to NoVa for a vet, I love my pets, but not that much!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #30
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
No, puppy had diarrhea with mucousy stuff in it early this morning...when the vet called back (he knows my family, we've been going to him with family pets for 20+ years) and I gave him more detail and mentioned that he told me about Coccidia. I looked it up online and found a ton of articles and a number of them mentioned that this is VERY common in puppies and the mucousy diarhhea is a sure sign of the bacteria.

I trust my vet implicitly...and I'm trying to not jump to conclusions because I know the information I got today was from a 15 year old. When I get home if he looks really bad I'll take him in tonight, but based on what I saw in him this morning and what I know from the vet about Coccidia, I have a good feeling that is what it is.

Ok, that sounds reasonable especially with what Brillig pointed out.

Good luck to the pup, he's a cute one!

Quote:
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #31
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

I think he is doing alright - turns out he had eaten the food we gave him this morning, and it looks like he drank some water too. He had some diarrhea tonight, but only once after I gave him the medicine. I'll give it to him again before I head to work tomorrow and hopefully he'll be showing improvement by the time I get home from work...

Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #32
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

At first glance, the thread title seemed to say "Pumpy Pictures Inside!" I got my hopes up

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote