Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ping: Any of our Australians

Trying to figure out how to call what appears to be (based on what I've Googled up) an Australian cell phone number from here in the US. It's been years since I've made an international long distance call, so I'm a little rusty & I swear it seems more complicated than I remember.

If the number I'm trying to reach is listed in this format:
+61 40xxxxxxx (where the x's represent the 7-digit phone number)

best I can tell from reading AT&T's guide to international dialing, and then several different Australian-specific Q&A's on the subject, I should actually dial _without_ the "0" after the "4", since I'm outside the country. If I were in Australia, only then would it be "40". Does that make sense/sound right?

I'm confused because each of the online references I found used "04" (instead of "40") as an example & say to drop the zero, so I'm sort of guessing that the important thing is to get rid of the zero no matter how it was written.

So, for me it would be (per the AT&T directions)

Dial 011 +
61(country code) +
4 (city code, which is really a generic code for cell phones) +
xxx-xxxx (the local number)

I feel kinda stupid having this confound me a bit, but at least I'm comforted by finding several similar questions Googling, meaning I'm not the only idjit on earth.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

Australian mobile phone numbers are in this format: 0xxx-xxx-xxx.

To reach one from overseas you add +61, remove the first digit (always a zero) and add the remaining 9 digits.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #3
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

Now that I look at that number, there is definately something up with it. I think perhaps the 0 and the 4 are around the wrong way or something? But it's strange, because it's too short to be a mobile/cell number, but the 4 is the mobile area code.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Australian mobile phone numbers are in this format: 0xxx-xxx-xxx.

To reach one from overseas you add +61, remove the first digit (always a zero) and add the remaining 9 digits.

Thanks, and that matches what I saw elsewhere online.

After much scratching of my head, I think I may have figured it out.
The number I'm working with has already dropped the "0", leaving it to be
4-07xx-xxxx

The "07" portion (according to wiki) corresponds to the north-east region/Queensland, which matches the address of the person I'm trying to locate, so that starts to make sense.

Although both the US & Australia use essentially a 10-digit system, in the US that's for a three-digit area code + 7 digit local number. There, of course, it's two-digit area + 8 digit local number & I think that was throwing me off somehow. Or maybe I was just making this more complicated than it really was, but that's what happens sometimes when I'm trying to work at 3am local time.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-19-2007 at 02:00 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
4-07xx-xxxx

Yeah, you're right. Sorry, shoulda worked that part out myself, but I have to admit that I've never phoned an Aussie mobile from overseas.

07 does mean Queensland with regards to regular phones, but it's a common prefix with mobile phones and not related to the telephone number plan (I believe, though could very well be wrong). I have it on my phone despite both me and my provider being based here in Sydney.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, and that matches what I saw elsewhere online.

4-07xx-xxxx

The "07" portion (according to wiki) corresponds to the north-east region/Queensland, which matches the address of the person I'm trying to locate, so that starts to make sense.

Although both the US & Australia use essentially a 10-digit system, in the US that's for a three-digit area code + 7 digit local number. There, of course, it's two-digit area + 8 digit local number & I think that was throwing me off somehow. Or maybe I was just making this more complicated than it really was, but that's what happens sometimes when I'm trying to work at 3am local time.

I think you've taken this Kylie Minogue fantasy much too far..It's time to man up and admit she wasn't ever trying to call you.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
It's time to man up and admit she wasn't ever trying to call you.

That's why I'm calling her

This is actually related to the web domain purchasing question I asked a few days back, just in case anyone is curious. In spite of what appeared to be a "private" registration, I tracked the admin contact down to Australia after re-searching the ownership at the site where the blind was bought instead of through either who-is or at at godaddy. Lo & behold, searching where it was purchased appeared to turn up the actual info instead of the cutout.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's why I'm calling her

This is actually related to the web domain purchasing question I asked a few days back, just in case anyone is curious. In spite of what appeared to be a "private" registration, I tracked the admin contact down to Australia after re-searching the ownership at the site where the blind was bought instead of through either who-is or at at godaddy. Lo & behold, searching where it was purchased appeared to turn up the actual info instead of the cutout.

Damnit...I knew I should have read your post more thoroughly before attempting any clever response..