Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Modern Marvels - Trucking

With the new craze of Trukz, I think many of you will be interested in the episode that is on now. It's actually pretty interesting.

Anyone else watching?

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Didn't catch it. Not to threadjack but has anyone been watching Ice Road Truckers?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Hell yea. It's awesome.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Hell yea. It's awesome.

That job takes balls the size of church bells.

It looks like the kid is going to be done after that accident. Early in the show I thought he would wash out but he seemed to be getting a little more acclimated to it until the accident. Hugh is going to be pissed if he loses a second driver (that has got to cost him a ton of money).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have seen a couple Ice Road Truckers episodes. Good show. I would love the chance to try it. I have driven in nearly every possible weather/road condition, but over ice with water underneath would kick ass. Not to mention only having too work 2 months and year.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola- What is Modern Marvels about?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Modern Marvels is a show on the History Channel that basically looks at different technologies and tells you all about them. The show last night was about Truck Stops, and how they design them and make them work in order to best serve truckers. A couple upcoming episodes are "Super Guns of Today and Tomorrow" and "Dams."

A couple older ones are "Distilleries" and "Engineering Disasters." Another old one is "Nuts."

So as you can see, they cover a very wide array of topics, and all of them are extremely well done IMO, they can even make a show about nuts interesting.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My mistake in my post, i know the show, just wondered what the trucking one was about. And something tells me they made truckstops a 1000 times better then they really are.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Yea...most likely. One really cool thing I saw was this thing called IdleAir, or something like that. Basically it allows the truckers to get heat/electricity/AC without putting their truck in idle, which saves a ton of gas and pollution. Basically the trucks pull under this overhang kinda thing, and put this window adapter on their window, allowing a large tube to be placed in the car. The end of the tube has a computer screen which allows you to change the temperature, go online, watch TV, etc.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've posted about Ice Truckers in the new shows thread. I haven't seen the last episode yet, but we've been watching. Interesting stuff, never knew something like that existed, but as far as the show, way too formulaic based on Deadliest Catch.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

IdleAir is a pretty cool thing, except for the fact that they have to get rid of a bunch of normal parking spots to put it in. You can not use those spots unless you pay for the service, otherwise they will kick you out of the spot. At 2am and all you want is a regular spot but those are filled because there are half of what there used to be it can piss you off.