Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #51
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
For once in my life I'm not going looking for spoilers. I hope this isn't true.

It very well could be true, but I REALLY doubt that the guy who printed the T-shirt has inside knowledge. I mean, one of the 3 main character's probably gonna go, and "Hermione Dies" makes the snappiest T-shirt.

It's almost as if someone predicted a coin toss of heads, and then when it turns up heads, everyone was going nuts because the guy "knew it somehow".

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 AM   #52
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I would risk saying that most people are reading Harry Potter books than the Bible right now.

that's not such an outlandish statement, they're both works of fiction afterall.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #53
KWhit
Coordinator

The thread title claims that there was a funny t-shirt involved, but I've yet to see any humor in it. I guess I just don't find it funny for people to try to go out of their way to spoil something that others enjoy.

*shurg*
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #54
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
The thread title claims that there was a funny t-shirt involved, but I've yet to see any humor in it. I guess I just don't find it funny for people to try to go out of their way to spoil something that others enjoy.

*shurg*

Lord Voldemort would find it funny. I find it EVIL.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #55
molson
General Manager

Quote:

*shurg*

IT WAS ON A T-SHIRT, IT MUST BE TRUE!!!! That's the humor.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #56
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
I apologize to anyone who took offense, though I see no reason you might
That's a fantastic apology.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #57
Anthony
Banned

it's only a spoiler if the guy says "my [insert friend/family member here] works for JK Rowling and read the book already, and they said Hermione dies, so they decided to make a tshirt out of it".

logically (and i know logic is a lot to ask these days, *sigh*) 1 or more out of the 3 main characters is likely to die, so you can pick one and make a statement and you'll have a 1/3 chance of getting it right. i haven't read any of these books.

Spoiler
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #58
Bee
Pro Starter

As someone that doesn't really care that much about the whole Harry Potter thing, I'm kind of lost on why it's logical one or more of the 3 main characters is likely to die. Is it logical based on previous books or because of rumors that indicate one of them will die?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #59
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It very well could be true, but I REALLY doubt that the guy who printed the T-shirt has inside knowledge. I mean, one of the 3 main character's probably gonna go, and "Hermione Dies" makes the snappiest T-shirt.

It's almost as if someone predicted a coin toss of heads, and then when it turns up heads, everyone was going nuts because the guy "knew it somehow".

"Hermione Dies" is a reference to a Something Awful joke related to book 6. A group of "goons" drove past a line of kids waiting at midnight to get their books and yelled "Hermione dies!" at them, recording their reactions. After that, any good Harry Potter thread on their message board had "Harmione dies" in the subject line.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #60
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach View Post
A group of "goons" drove past a line of kids waiting at midnight to get their books and yelled "Hermione dies!" at them, recording their reactions.

That's exactly the kind of stupid crap that I don't find funny.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #61
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Someone else would've had this kind of mass appeal that spans all age groups? Remember, it's not just children that are reading these novels, it's adults as well.

In fact, I'm having serious problems trying to come up with a contemporary author that crosses so many age, gender, and socioeconomic lines in terms of readership.

It's nice to think that someone else would have come along and had this kind of impact, but I really don't see it.

I do think it is remarkable how the appeal crosses all lines. The clinic I worked at gave out Harry Potter books for Christmas along with a number of other toys (donated by a local charity), and I saw a wide diversity of kids who wanted the books over many other toys.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #62
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
That's exactly the kind of stupid crap that I don't find funny.

I think that some people , not necessarilly myself included, find it hilarious that anyone can get so utterly sucked into something mentally and emotionally that they'd get upset about such things.

I've had books and movies where I really got involved on an emotional level with the characters and storyline, but at some point you have to stop and realize that its JUST a book, a work of total fiction that holds absolutely no bearing on life in any way. To get really upset about such things is probably not a real healthy reaction.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #63
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I think that some people , not necessarilly myself included, find it hilarious that anyone can get so utterly sucked into something mentally and emotionally that they'd get upset about such things.

I've had books and movies where I really got involved on an emotional level with the characters and storyline, but at some point you have to stop and realize that its JUST a book, a work of total fiction that holds absolutely no bearing on life in any way. To get really upset about such things is probably not a real healthy reaction.

It's the equiavlent of the kid who gets picked on middle school because it's so easy to get a reaction.

What I still don't get, is why would the Potter fans think some random people driving by in a car (or wearing a T-shirt), would have inside spoiler knowledge.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #64
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Han Solo is Chewbacca's brother!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #65
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
It's the equiavlent of the kid who gets picked on middle school because it's so easy to get a reaction.

What I still don't get, is why would the Potter fans think some random people driving by in a car (or wearing a T-shirt), would have inside spoiler knowledge.

I'm more thinking of the shock-jock radio guys who the day after release of the last book were clogging up the airwaves with the book spoilers and people who plaster message board thread titles with the spoiler info after the book is released. It's lame that some people get enjoyment out of spoiling something for others.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #66
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm more thinking of the shock-jock radio guys who the day after release of the last book were clogging up the airwaves with the book spoilers and people who plaster message board thread titles with the spoiler info after the book is released. It's lame that some people get enjoyment out of spoiling something for others.

Evilness!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #67
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

I disagree. It is a work of fiction, but it's something that people enjoy and a big part of the enjoyment is the surprise you feel when you're reading it. And I just don't get the thought process of people who find it funny to ruin that for other people.

Nobody would want the Super Bowl outcome to be spoiled for them if their team were playing in it. Of course, that doesn't really happen because everyone experiences the SB at the same time. But a book is different. Most people can't finish a 700-800 page book in one sitting, so they can't avoid the inevitable next morning spoilers.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #68
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

am i the only person to have never read or watched a harry potter thingy?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #69
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post

I saw movie four, then movie three. And that's it. I guess they would be better if I watched and/or read in order... but I wasn't interested when they came out. I did like the third one better than the fourth.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #70
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

nope, I'm with you. my goal is now to never see or read one.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #71
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
nope, I'm with you. my goal is now to never see or read one.

I do similar things with other movies too. It's not my goal with Harry Potter, but at this point I'd have to watch five movies to catch up, and I'm thinking the hype won't carry with it. Especially after Lord of the Rings. And I've read a book in some DragonLance series that I really liked, so it'll be compared to that too.

Other movies I can think of avoiding because everyone seemed to have seen it were Titanic and Armageddon.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #72
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I disagree. It is a work of fiction, but it's something that people enjoy and a big part of the enjoyment is the surprise you feel when you're reading it. And I just don't get the thought process of people who find it funny to ruin that for other people.

Nobody would want the Super Bowl outcome to be spoiled for them if their team were playing in it. Of course, that doesn't really happen because everyone experiences the SB at the same time. But a book is different. Most people can't finish a 700-800 page book in one sitting, so they can't avoid the inevitable next morning spoilers.

Yup. Its a cultural thing - all that's being asked is to show a little respect, and people like RendeR don't seem to get that.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #73
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I do similar things with other movies too. It's not my goal with Harry Potter, but at this point I'd have to watch five movies to catch up, and I'm thinking the hype won't carry with it. Especially after Lord of the Rings. And I've read a book in some DragonLance series that I really liked, so it'll be compared to that too.

Other movies I can think of avoiding because everyone seemed to have seen it were Titanic and Armageddon.

I avoided Titanic for a long time after it came out. I forget how long it was in the theater, but I waited until it ended its run and finally made its way to HBO. I then watched it alone one night when I was bored. Because I waited so long, all of the hype had worn off and I very much liked the movie.

If you aren't a fan of the series, don't jump in during all of the hysteria. Wait until it cools down and then decide if you are interested.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #74
molson
General Manager

I saw one of the movies in the middle of the series having never read any books or scene any of the other movies. I thought it was really, really well done, and kept thinking that this was the "feel" that the new star wars movies should have had. (In that you actually buy this "world" that was created, and aren't continously distracted by bad acting and chesey, fake-looking special effects)
Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #75
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

How bout chaning the title of the thread to reduce personal anger afflictions.

I have not ready any of the books, but I wouldn't post anything like this without knowing full well the extent of causing some harm to people who may or may not want to know the implications (regardless of it being a guess, or just a cutesy observation of some other attentionwh*re's actions).

I admit that I avoided spoilers for the Sopranos, others could've cared less about the Soprano family, but when you have placed time and effort to watch something (in H.P. case read something) then others should respect the idea of not spoiling or rumor-mongering the end.

Christ we have a spoiler option here.

Disappointing.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Saw a bit of the first movie and that's all.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #77
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I saw one of the movies in the middle of the series having never read any books or scene any of the other movies. I thought it was really, really well done, and kept thinking that this was the "feel" that the new star wars movies should have had. (In that you actually buy this "world" that was created, and aren't continously distracted by bad acting and chesey, fake-looking special effects)

For anybody that read about my annoyances with Transformers, the above quote is exactly what that movie lacked and what made the latest Potter movie so good. A world was created and the whole movie existed consistently within the world. The comparison to Star Wars is very good as well. The original movies existed in their world(s) while the new movies seemed very much outside of the world(s) they were supposed to exist in.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #78
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

All I know is that there's also a recording out there of jackasses driving by a book store at midnight of the book six release and them yelling out THE major spoiler for that book.

And as I've mentioned a couple of times here, on a different board someone posted that same spoiler in a thread titled "Hey Harry Potter Fans!" just a couple of days before the book came out. I was so pissed off I would have beat the dude's ass if I could have.

And as I've also mentioned before, if anyone tries that soft of bullshit here I'll do everything in my mod power to ban their ass for trolling...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 AM   #79
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
All I know is that there's also a recording out there of jackasses driving by a book store at midnight of the book six release and them yelling out THE major spoiler for that book.

And as I've mentioned a couple of times here, on a different board someone posted that same spoiler in a thread titled "Hey Harry Potter Fans!" just a couple of days before the book came out. I was so pissed off I would have beat the dude's ass if I could have.

And as I've also mentioned before, if anyone tries that soft of bullshit here I'll do everything in my mod power to ban their ass for trolling...

I was spoiled on the last book right before I got to the part where the big spoiler happened. I think it was by reading a thread here at FOFC, too, but I could be wrong. I was pretty pissed off.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #80
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
For anybody that read about my annoyances with Transformers, the above quote is exactly what that movie lacked and what made the latest Potter movie so good. A world was created and the whole movie existed consistently within the world. The comparison to Star Wars is very good as well. The original movies existed in their world(s) while the new movies seemed very much outside of the world(s) they were supposed to exist in.

To take this small tangent for a quick second. This is an interesting point as you and I differed in opinions of the transformers movie, and while I enjoyed the new HP movie that just came out, it wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable for me as the transformers movie. I thought the HP movie was good, but didn't capture me where i was absolutely giddy about the transformers movie. My guess is because I never really read any HP books, and just watch the movies as they are fairly entertaining all things considered.

Now to try to get back on topic of the thread.. I understand why people don't like spoilers, but for me its not really a huge deal. I'll often record tv shows that I don't watch because I'm busy with whatever, then read the threads here about what happened in that show, or hear about it on the radio, or whatever. Then the next night go home and watch it and still enjoy it. I don't think spoilers really bug me one bit at all.. Most of the movies or shows out there these days are pretty predictable anyways so a spoiler isn't really a huge deal to me. That said, I still try to respect others desire to keep spoilers and not ruin their fun even if it doesn't impact me at all.

I guess it goes back to the whole thing.. people seek different things from their entertainment.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #81
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
To take this small tangent for a quick second. This is an interesting point as you and I differed in opinions of the transformers movie, and while I enjoyed the new HP movie that just came out, it wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable for me as the transformers movie. I thought the HP movie was good, but didn't capture me where i was absolutely giddy about the transformers movie. My guess is because I never really read any HP books, and just watch the movies as they are fairly entertaining all things considered.

That is pretty funny. I thought that the HP movie was easily the best movie I've seen this summer (just edging out Ratatouille). At the same time, it was one of the more crappy movie-going experiences with a kid kicking my seat the whole time and two high school kids talking above a whisper about all the differences from the book. I guess we need to remember to never use each other for movie-going advice.

Quote:
Now to try to get back on topic of the thread.. I understand why people don't like spoilers, but for me its not really a huge deal. I'll often record tv shows that I don't watch because I'm busy with whatever, then read the threads here about what happened in that show, or hear about it on the radio, or whatever. Then the next night go home and watch it and still enjoy it. I don't think spoilers really bug me one bit at all.. Most of the movies or shows out there these days are pretty predictable anyways so a spoiler isn't really a huge deal to me. That said, I still try to respect others desire to keep spoilers and not ruin their fun even if it doesn't impact me at all.

I bolded what I thought was the most important part of your last paragraph. It doesn't really matter if you are a person who cares about spoilers, there are plenty of people that do. I agree that most movies are predictable, but watching a movie unfold is a great joy to many people. The method of telling a story might be even more important than the story itself for some people.

Along those lines, I think a fake spoiler is nearly as bad as a real spoiler. It has the same malicious intent and it includes a lie. It changes the way people take in the story because they are aware of the ending, but give the added confusion of being wrong.

There is also the possibility that these early spoilers are real...either by the person guessing right, or because the person got the book early. You never know who works for the publisher, or found a store to sell it early so you never know who knows what.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #82
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post

It changes the way people take in the story because they are aware of the ending, but give the added confusion of being wrong.

QFT
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote