Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #101
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Damn you Scott Spiezio.

It's nice to know some fans out there still remember one of the best World Series ever--highlighted by one of the most amazing comebacks in an elimination game in postseason history (including at one point a certain 13-foul at bat by Mr. Spiezio ).
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #102
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's nice to know some fans out there still remember one of the best World Series ever--highlighted by one of the most amazing comebacks in an elimination game in postseason history (including at one point a certain 13-foul at bat by Mr. Spiezio ).

Yes, of course "some" fans remember it. We're called the fans that were left crying in our beer.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 AM   #103
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

And he didn't have that stupid tuft of bright red hair then

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #104
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Anyone wanna ask..."Where was Pujols?"

Albert does!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allsta...ory?id=2932400

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO -- Albert Pujols was angry about being left on the All-Star bench and the St. Louis slugger took aim at the National League manager -- who just happened to be Tony La Russa of his own Cardinals.

"It's the All-Star Game. He can do what he wants," Pujols said Tuesday night. "He does whatever he wants. If I wasn't expecting to play, I wouldn't have come up here."

Pujols, the NL MVP in 2005 and key to the Cardinals' win in the World Series last year, said La Russa didn't talk to him the entire game.

Pujols could only watch when Aaron Rowand flied out with the bases loaded to end the American League's 5-4 win.

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."

With the 32-man rosters, it's not uncommon for few players to be left out. The AL used 27 players, while the NL used 28.

Pujols and Texas shortstop Michael Young -- last year's All-Star Game MVP -- were the only position players who didn't get into the game. Ever since the 2002 event ended in an extra-innings tie, managers have tended to hold a hitter back just in case.

La Russa said he indeed was saving his star player in case the game went long.

"Once we lost [Miguel] Cabrera and [Freddy] Sanchez, he was the guy we were going to use to protect ourselves in case we kept playing because of Albert's versatility," La Russa said. "I think we had the right guy at bat."

La Russa told reporters that he explained how he was going to use Pujols to his star slugger before the game.

"Albert was the guy who was going to do whatever we needed," La Russa said, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "If Albert doesn't understand that, I'm surprised and disappointed. It isn't that tough a thing. I explained his role to him before the game.

"Let me ask you this. If we go to extra innings, who's going to be our player to move around and play? Can Dmitri [Young] move around and play? Or is Albert going to do that? Who's the most versatile guy not playing? It's Albert. It isn't even that tough. He'll figure it out sooner or later."

Dmitri Young pinch-hit in the ninth inning, leaving Pujols as La Russa's lone bat left on the bench.

A six-time All-Star, Pujols finished about 770,000 votes behind starting first baseman Prince Fielder. He played left field regularly in 2002 and '03 and also saw time at third base in 2001 and '02.

Pujols said he was getting his body loose the whole night.

"I was ready to go since the game started," Pujols said.

Pujols is mired in a career-worst home run slump -- 22 games and a career-worst 74 at-bats. He is tied with Chris Duncan for the team lead with 16 homers and his last homer was off Kansas City's Jimmy Gobble on June 14.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Albert Pujols, utility man.

(Although if he'd actually hit a homer in the past month I bet LaRussa would have played the situation differently)
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #106
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

LaRussa is a dumb fuck. I'm so tired of his "act". Yes he did win a WS for us last year, but I'm tired of him.

I would love to see him manage a team like Washington or Tampa Bay with their payrolls and see what happens.

How can you NOT play your all star player in that spot? Are you fucking kidding me?? That is the PERFECT spot for Pujols to come up and bat in. What a joke.

I wouldn't care as much if the game didn't mean anything, but it does.

My dad always tells me the Cardinals win despite LaRussa and I'm starting to believe him. Go ahead LaRussa, keep Duncan on the bench against lefties, play Miles at shortstop and play Taguchi in centerfield. Continue to let Wells start games and ruin Anthony Reyes. Grrrrrr!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-11-2007 at 08:10 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #107
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There have already been grumblings that he's likely leaving at the end of the year. If Pujols is tired of him, there's no doubt who the team will side with.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #108
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I really thought LaRussa's response to Pujol's was pretty pathetic.

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #109
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The rumors they keep talking about in KC are that Jockety is also possibly on the way out. And one of the destinations they were talking about was Cincinnati with LaRussa, Duncan, and Jockety all going there. But I think that's all idle speculation at this point.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The rumors they keep talking about in KC are that Jockety is also possibly on the way out. And one of the destinations they were talking about was Cincinnati with LaRussa, Duncan, and Jockety all going there. But I think that's all idle speculation at this point.

SI

Yeah, and LaRussa would only go there if he's allowed to spend money. I think that's part of the reason he might be wanting to leave, the owners will not let the payroll increase.. I mean, with the new stadium all sold out and everything.

I say, peace out TL!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I really thought LaRussa's response to Pujol's was pretty pathetic.

I'm telling you, the guy has gone mad.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #112
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

LOL! I don't know who the announcers are for the AAA All-Star Game, but one of the guys just said someone "was crying his balls...er...eyes off."

Oh, I think it's Eduardo Perez, since he made a big deal about John-Ford Griffin being from FSU. Damn that was funny.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote