Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #1201
Huckleberry
College Starter

I can release it whenever. I just don't know how.

What files, etc. And if the files are too big I'll need to borrow some web space. If not I can put it up temporarily on a site.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #1202
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

[quote=Huckleberry;1458530]I can release it whenever. I just don't know how.

You could save it as a QuickStart and then the files would be in the C:\Documents and Settings\rbronson\My Documents\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007\data\quickstart_games\Name of your league.quick Folder

That entire folder would be uploaded or maybe .Zip and that would be it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #1203
Huckleberry
College Starter

Yeesh. It's 23 megs.

http://www.hornfans.com/recruiting/h...EBPL.quick.zip

Please let me know once you've downloaded it so I can take it down. I don't pay for that webspace and I don't want to tick anyone off.

Thanks.

Note that cities and stadia for the minor league teams are all wrong. All I did with the minor league teams is name them and organize them. Well, except for Manchester City's affiliates. They have proper logos and stadia. City's affiliates are Sunderland, Nottingham Forest, Lincoln City, Torquay, and Kettering Town.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #1204
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Yeesh. It's 23 megs.

http://www.hornfans.com/recruiting/h...EBPL.quick.zip

Please let me know once you've downloaded it so I can take it down. I don't pay for that webspace and I don't want to tick anyone off.

Thanks.

Note that cities and stadia for the minor league teams are all wrong. All I did with the minor league teams is name them and organize them. Well, except for Manchester City's affiliates. They have proper logos and stadia. City's affiliates are Sunderland, Nottingham Forest, Lincoln City, Torquay, and Kettering Town.

Yeah, stadiums don't matter. Having the teams is huge. Thanks for that. I've got it, thanks again.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #1205
Huckleberry
College Starter

No problem. I guess I will post screenshots of the uniforms for all to see. As soon as I can.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #1206
Huckleberry
College Starter

Well, I'm no Icy but here they are anyway:

Old 05-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #1207
Huckleberry
College Starter

Okay, a couple of problems. The Rookie League teams (EBCN) weren't all affiliated. Also, the University league season lasts too long. The two finalists lost their draftable players before the championship series. I guess OOTP doesn't have the logic that they finish the season with their feeder league team before leaving the roster.

I am going to rework the EUBL schedule to start a week sooner.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #1208
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I haven't messed with it too much. But at least with the foundation there, I can tweak it for my own purposes. I think I'd like to have the lower divisions remain independent, so I can have relegation/promotion. But I'm gonna play FM for a while before getting into it. lol
Old 05-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #1209
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am not believing it till I see them psoted but it appears in few hours this guy is posting a 2007 roster
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=147298
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #1210
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Could you send that English file to me, or post it on the Mods forum at OOTP? That way we can get it hosted (like my college one is)
Old 05-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #1211
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Any opinions on the beta patch yet?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #1212
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I downloaded the beta patch and it's stable to me. Haven't noticed any glaring issues with it. I didn't see a lot of the problems others were seeing with it, at least not recently. The most notable thing is, it doesn't crash on exit anymore. Or at least, I haven't seen that in a week or so now.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #1213
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've created a work-in-progress, alpha/beta/gamma, roster set today. I know there are people missing. I know it's not perfect, but...it's serviceable.

I only created one level of minors, figuring you could add as many as you wanted. Most teams should be current as opening day, though there are some gaps there, I know it. That's why it's a beta, I'll likely update it -- provided the rancor isn't so furious so as to not make it worthwhile -- and make the requisite changes as necessary.

I mostly wanted to put it out there and have people dive in and see what was wrong, so it could be fixed and be out of the way.

As far as prospects, there are quite a few in there. I also added a random amount, using this and other sources (boy, there are all sorts of random sites just with prospect data..)

I know the numbers might be off. Deal.

You can download it here, for now, anyway.

Unzip the folder and place it in your C:\Documents and Settings\whateveryoursiscalled\My Documents\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007\data\saved_games folder. At least, that should be where it goes.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-05-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #1214
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Could you send that English file to me, or post it on the Mods forum at OOTP? That way we can get it hosted (like my college one is)

Will your e-mail accept a 23 Mb file? If so I can send it. Or do the OOTP forums let you attach files that large?

I'm fine either way. Once we figure it out I'll reload the quick start and then fix the affiliations and EUBL start date situation.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #1215
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Use YouSendIt.Com or MegaUpload.DE, they'll allow you to send 23 meg files.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #1216
King of New York
High School Varsity

After running a number of historical sims, I have to say: even if I try, I cannot help but crush the AI.

In my latest sim (1901-1919), I tried to make things brutally hard for myself:
1) Turned off star ratings
2) Set player ratings to 1-5 scale
3) Set my market size and fan loyalty to "almost non-existent"
4) Set as a house rule: I cannot go over my player budget
5) Set trading to "very hard/favor prospects"
6) Made minor leaguers eligible for free agency after three years, to prevent me from collecting talent
7) Turned off scouting/coaches/trading draft picks

I still managed to win 7 world series in 19 years, and to have an average seasonal winning percentage of .570. By themselves, those numbers are not completely outlandish, but considering the settings that I was playing on, I should have been crushed. Instead, for sixteen seasons in a row, I finished no lower than third place.

Maybe it's just that I was playing in the deadball era, and the AI doesn't value pitching and defense enough in those years. Whenever I ask the AI to set my lineups, it seems to want to eke out every last bit of offense, even if that means playing weak fielders out of position.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #1217
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, I've noticed that the error totals are ridiculous in the dead ball era. I haven't seen the real error totals to compare, but I've seen catchers with 50+ errors in a season. That and the ridiculous caught stealing numbers make me want to play out my games, but that would give me that much more of an advantage.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #1218
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that the error totals are ridiculous in the dead ball era. I haven't seen the real error totals to compare, but I've seen catchers with 50+ errors in a season. That and the ridiculous caught stealing numbers make me want to play out my games, but that would give me that much more of an advantage.

OOTP has never done the Dead Ball Era right in SP (I was in a DB Era MP league where we had tons of rules to make it reasonable). I am finding that it does the Baseball Boom Era marginally ok and from previous experiences, it does the Golden Age Era very well.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #1219
dcg12
n00b

Quote:

Other than catchers I don't know what kind of totals you are seeing but errors where off the charts in the early 1900's. In the 1901-1910 time frame both leagues avg about 2700 errors per season. Teams would avg about 310 per team. While 50 for a catcher is high the league leader in 1902 made 30 with most making more than 20. SS routinely made 65-70 in a season ( 1901 Baltimore SS made 97) with the other infielders making 50-60.

As for caught stealing the first records I can find are in 1915. The sb/cs ratio was just over 50% in the NL(1194 sb/995 cs). 1920 969 sb/862 cs
and 1921 803 sb/771 cs

One thing that most historical simmers are saying on the ootp boards is to turn the steal frequency down to "often" from "very often"
dcg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #1220
Galaril
Pro Starter

Some much for getting the last few big things corrected in this years version. I posted a questions about these issues and

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaril
How about the level of talent in the lower leagues minors and feeder league.
And....................
the sign and release of players still happnes
And................ERA issues others have mentioned?
Have any of these been addressed or will be soon?

I'm sorry, but we can't address any of these issues without a TT reference . . . if it has been logged in Tech Support, Markus will have an opportunity to review and fix it, although the above is the list of what is likely to be in the final patch #2. Unfortunately, I don't know all of the reported issues off the top of my head!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #1221
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Some much for getting the last few big things corrected in this years version. I posted a questions about these issues and

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaril
How about the level of talent in the lower leagues minors and feeder league.
And....................
the sign and release of players still happnes
And................ERA issues others have mentioned?
Have any of these been addressed or will be soon?

I'm sorry, but we can't address any of these issues without a TT reference . . . if it has been logged in Tech Support, Markus will have an opportunity to review and fix it, although the above is the list of what is likely to be in the final patch #2. Unfortunately, I don't know all of the reported issues off the top of my head!

Welcome to Hollywood.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #1222
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You know, I started playing 6.51 again and once again I'm at peace with myself.

I think ootp 2007 will be just another icon on my desktop for a few months and then I'll delete it and the program to boot. It's just too much clutter for me, but I applaud Markus for his return post v2006.

I've enjoyed watching the historical years, but beyond that, I just can't get into it.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-08-2007 at 06:43 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #1223
Ksyrup

I was very disappointed to read that Markus completely ignored the obvious evidence several of us had found that the AI was releasing or demoting pitchers for no reason in historical leagues. A number of us have concrete examples of guys winning Cy Young awards one year and being in the FA pile the next spring, not only let go by his team but left untouched by the rest of the league. And after a year or so, they'd retire. So the league was dotted with guys having good-to-great seasons, losing maybe 1 point of contol or stuff in the offseason, getting released, and never pitching again. And it even happened for me when I had a league with 0 weight placed on ratings - meaning the AI should have been making decisions solely based on stats. Like, for instance, Bob Gibson winning 21 games one year and sitting in the FA pool the next year, then retiring.

Very frustrating to see an issue, have the developer look at it, and get a response that there is no problem.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #1224
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's also kinda annoying that the game really doesn't make any distinctions (still) between prestige of leagues.

It seems that no matter what you do, it's very difficult to keep international leagues from signing MLB free agents after very good seasons (16+ wins, sub 3.50 ERA, is one example), when said player should CLEARLY be holding out for more money.

The creation modifiers simply don't do it.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #1225
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
It's also kinda annoying that the game really doesn't make any distinctions (still) between prestige of leagues.

It seems that no matter what you do, it's very difficult to keep international leagues from signing MLB free agents after very good seasons (16+ wins, sub 3.50 ERA, is one example), when said player should CLEARLY be holding out for more money.

The creation modifiers simply don't do it.

Did you see this even after setting the option up so MLB player can't be signed to other leagues? Or is that only for player trades and not FA's. If so this along with the previous post by KSYRUP on Marcus ignoring obvious and proven problems says this game has just flatlined. Too bad it never made it even long enough on my hard drive for the 2007 rosters to come out.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #1226
molson
General Manager

I've never seen a text sim impression thread swing from one direction to the other so dramatically.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #1227
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've never seen a text sim impression thread swing from one direction to the other so dramatically.

Two words for ya:

JACK DANIELS

Last edited by Galaril : 05-08-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #1228
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Did you see this even after setting the option up so MLB player can't be signed to other leagues? Or is that only for player trades and not FA's. If so this along with the previous post by KSYRUP on Marcus ignoring obvious and proven problems says this game has just flatlined. Too bad it never made it even long enough on my hard drive for the 2007 rosters to come out.

Yeah, I know the options about not swapping leagues. I want the players to be able to switch leagues. I just wanted it to be smarter about it. It's not that big a deal.

I still like the game a ton. It's very conducive to how I sim, so...whatever problems I have with it, it's still the most complete version of OOTP. But when you've spent the better part of your childhood some 20 years ago dreaming of a game that lets you do pretty much whatever the heck you want in a baseball context...well...that's where that comes from.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #1229
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, I know the options about not swapping leagues. I want the players to be able to switch leagues. I just wanted it to be smarter about it. It's not that big a deal.

I still like the game a ton. It's very conducive to how I sim, so...whatever problems I have with it, it's still the most complete version of OOTP. But when you've spent the better part of your childhood some 20 years ago dreaming of a game that lets you do pretty much whatever the heck you want in a baseball context...well...that's where that comes from.

I am ol' Strato-matic baseball board game and this version of OOTP has me thinking of checking out the replay scene for baseball sims like Stratomatic since I don't enjoy any of the "big three" baseball text sims. I have spent more time the boards trying to address problems and installing user mods to add things that should be included with game slike 07 rosters and park dimensions e.g then actually playing.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #1230
miked
College Starter

Re: The sign and release

I did try and bring this up during the preview process, but was basically told that as long as you set the lower limits to a high number of players it would be fine. I argued that the game should get real baseball correct, in that there are limits to lower levels and a problem could arise where the A teams just accumulated massive amounts of players.

To Markus's credit, he did come up with a reason, and when I tested it with the A-ball limit at 40 or so, it seemed ok (teams weren't even carrying the limit). I was told with no minor league DL and such, the teams needed a higher limit to account for the missing plaers, even with ghosts on. In my historical leagues and online tests, I've never seen the sign and release or draft and release. But my response to Markus was simple. Stop making compensations for an ADD AI (unlimited minors) and just get it right. If player A was cut, don't sign. If player A was just signed, don't cut. Get the basics right before we try and model Dutch baseball.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #1231
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
I am ol' Strato-matic baseball board game and this version of OOTP has me thinking of checking out the replay scene for baseball sims like Stratomatic since I don't enjoy any of the "big three" baseball text sims. I have spent more time the boards trying to address problems and installing user mods to add things that should be included with game slike 07 rosters and park dimensions e.g then actually playing.

FYI, last I checked SOM was $50 for the game + $25 for the season disk, but you get to replay that season as many times as you want.

SOM, APBA and Action need to rethink their pricing strategy.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #1232
Galaril
Pro Starter

True about the replays pricing but one you have spent the initial 50 bucks for the game you just spend 25 each year on a new season disk.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #1233
Ksyrup

Quote:

As much as I gripe about problems with the game, I'm still enjoying it. Problem is, my favorite part of the game is just simming history and looking at it. I'm still not all that interested in the "game" part of it. It's odd. The only other game I can think of that came closest to being this way for me was TCY. I got to the point with TCY where I didn't want to go through the tedium of allocating each player's time blocks, and then I even got the point where I wasn't enjoying the recruiting part of it, so I'd pick a team and basically sim through years, providing minor input into certain things but never really playing much. That's ultimately what OOTP is becoming for me.

This latest issue is just the latest disappointment for me. The comments we got back were that the issue was primiarly with early era pitchers. Well, our first examples were early era pitchers, but that was mainly because we were seeing the issue as we were simming, so of course we'd see something happen in 1920 before we ever got to 1960 or 1980. But I'm fine with the explanation of why it is more likely to happen with dead ball pitchers than any other (Markus' comment is that everyone back then had low stuff, so a small drop in stuff is more likely to get a guy dropped). But then we showed guys from the modern era doing the same thing, and the discussion switched to Koufax and how he went out on top. Problem is, that's not what we're seeing. These guys aren't leaving the game of their own accord, they're either sitting in FA or wallowing in the minors the year immediately after they've pitched great, and without throwing a single pitch the next year. Even if you thought a guy had fallen off the cliff from one year to the next, are you really going to cut a 20-game winner during the off-season? Hell no!

And again, lost in this discussion over there is the fact that this is happening with my ratings weights set at 0/50/35/15. I want the AI to disregard ratings and use nothing but stats in making decisions, and it's obvious that part of the game isn't working at all. And that's a separate issue that really needs to be examined, regardless of whether I'm just pissing into the wind on the other issue. I'm going to try one more time to make my point over there, see if someone responds, and then I'm giving up.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #1234
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Does anyone know why when I have my scout doing the ratings I get nothing but when I switch to SISA ratings appear?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #1235
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Does anyone know why when I have my scout doing the ratings I get nothing but when I switch to SISA ratings appear?
It means that your scout hasn't scouted that player yet. You need to send your scout out to either scout him individually, or scout his team, organization, or league.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #1236
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
As much as I gripe about problems with the game, I'm going to try one more time to make my point over there, see if someone responds, and then I'm giving up.

K good luck with that.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #1237
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I think this is a bug and if so an annoying one.

For the second year in a row I had a rookie who stole 60 bases and his speed/steal ratings were 17/20. The following season began and his ratings were down to 2/4 for no reason? Anyone know why?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #1238
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So I think this is a bug and if so an annoying one.

For the second year in a row I had a rookie who stole 60 bases and his speed/steal ratings were 17/20. The following season began and his ratings were down to 2/4 for no reason? Anyone know why?

Boating accident?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #1239
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://ootpdevelopments.com/board/sh...d.php?t=148133

Patch 2.0.2 Final is released. Changelist seems the same.

Quote:
v.2.0.2 changes

- Fixed AI changing lineups when managing in the minor leagues
- Fixed editing of contract extentsions
- Fixed editing of pro service time
- Fixed problems with historical fictional leagues
- Fixed problems with free agent offers in online leagues
- All-Star game boxscores are now always saved, regardless of the option settings
- Improved depth chart AI in leagues with incomplete minors
- The rule 5 draft no longer excludes players with more than 6 pro years
- Improved trade AI
- Improved AI for releasing players
- Tweaked the pitcher fatigue system
- Improved importing of defensive ratings & positions in historical leagues
- Fixed MLB service time calculation
- The scrollbar position in the shop player page is now remembered
- Fixed problems after turning off commish mode
- Fixed off-field injury minimum year usage
- Team stats reports no longer include players with no games played
- Patch function will now remember when a patch has been installed and will not install it twice
- OOTP will not start when skins and certain skin files are missing
- styles.css will be reloaded when switching database
- When switching database, existing images will not be overwritten
- Fixed problems with age limits for created players
- Pitchers now warm up faster between innings
- Personnell contract extensions can now be edited
- Fixed problem with missing line breaks in transaction reports and other reports
- Fixed problems with unretiring players
- Fixed problems with executing double-switches
- Online league file creation will optionally include new and changed images
- 1960 Major League schedule has the correct number of games now (154)
- Fixed several small bugs
- Updated the readme.txt files
Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #1240
Galaril
Pro Starter

ok I am trying a mlb assocaition with the World of baseball 1.5 template which has japan, cuba, MLB,AAA,AA,A leagues. The one problem is I am sick of seeing 500 german players floating around in my free agent pool for the world as well as aton of weird name sfor both players and coachs. Toomany eauropean sounding names. Is their a good name and or nation file mod that will set this up mor elike MLB style names that anyone is using?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #1241
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I haven't even reloaded ootp 2007 after going back to Windows XP, anyone here still playing?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #1242
Ksyrup

Nope, not really. I've come to the conclusion that OOTP is a very nice simulation, but not a good game.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #1243
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good question.

I wonder if there is a 2007 roster released yet.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #1244
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I haven't even reloaded ootp 2007 after going back to Windows XP, anyone here still playing?
I've been playing it and having fun. As far as 2007 rosters, soon is what the latest word is. Like maybe mid to late next week. Ugh
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #1245
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nope, not really. I've come to the conclusion that OOTP is a very nice simulation, but not a good game.

I think I've come to the realization that ootp has finally passed me by.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #1246
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Maybe I'll stay dumb and happy with 6.5.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #1247
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Still waiting on some solid 2007 MLB rosters unfortunately. I like the game a lot but haven't played it for a month or so. Hopefully something gets released soon so I can get back into the game.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #1248
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If nothing else, I hope they've learned for next year that you need to make creating rosters a lot easier than it's been this year.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #1249
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
Maybe I'll stay dumb and happy with 6.5.

So that makes me very dumb and happy to stick with 5.14.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #1250
cougarfreak
College Starter

I converted over a fictional league and am enjoying it pretty much.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote