Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
Vince
Pro Starter

Question Fantasy Baseball

Just curious as to what you guys think of the trade I just made in my ESPN league. My team is stinking it up in last place, and I need to make some kind of move. It's head to head, and 10 teams. 5x5 scoring system (Wins, Saves, Ks, ERA, WHIP, Runs, HR, RBI, SB, Avg.), with no limit on games started.

I give up:
Chipper Jones (36, 9, 35, 1, .301)
Frank Catalanotto (44, 5, 33, 1, .333) (1B, 2B, OF eligibility)
Richie Sexson (45, 19, 43, 1, .260)

I get in return:
Jim Thome (37, 13, 43, 0, .251)
Magglio Ordonez (28, 10, 35, 4, .267)

My logic is thus: Chipper is a good ballplayer, but no more than above average as an OF. When he was a 3B, he was outstanding, with only OF eligibility, he's not worth as much. Plus, the Braves are on a tear right now, and when they come down, his numbers will drop. Catalanotto I picked up off Free Agency to replace Durham when he went down. I've been happy with his performance, and it'll be tough to let him go, but I've got Durham and Todd Walker still, so I'm ok at 2B. Sexson...it's tough to let him go, but I think he's playing above his ability right now, and while Thome and Ordonez are likely to bring their average up, I don't think Sexson is.

Thoughts, opinions and criticisms are more than welcomed.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In the end it comes down to Ordonez v. Jones and Catalanotto.

Because I believe that Thome and Sexson are going to end up with similar numbers, it's a wash.

If you think Jones will go down, then it's a good deal. If you think Jones will continue to play good (as I do) then it isn't a very good deal. Catalanotto gives you bench flexibility.

But HELL, if you are in last, go ahead, shake some things up!
Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
tucker342
Pro Starter

I agree with ISiddiqui
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I actually think that Thome , Ordonez and Chipper are all underproducing so far from what I would expect of them. I like THome better than Sexson (alot of it having to do with surrounding players for 5x5 leagues).

I love Cat though on my 5x5 teams.. he adds flexibility, but also usually puts up good numbers in 4 of your categories..

I think the trade is fairly even, but I probably wouldnt have done it just because I like Cat alot.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote