"Great Books of the Western World" Ten Year Reading Plan

http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/books/gb195210.html

I'm going to start on that. Thanks.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!

HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #52
Daimyo
College Starter

Missed this the first time around, but if you want some Eastern philosophy/religion to compliment the classical stuff you'd probably want the following. Its been a while, but I'd say this is also the order you'd want to read them.

The Analects by Confucious (Confucianism)
Mencius (Confucianism)
Hsun Tzu (Neo Confucianism)
Chuang Tzu (Taoism)
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (Taoism)

Of those Chuang Tzu and Hsun Tzu are easily my favorites and what I'd reccomend the most. They're also presented in a format that is probably more accessible to reading in a non-instructor led setting. Whatever you do, stay away from all that I Ching and Chinese alchemy crap.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #53
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Allow me to add a few things.

The idea, as I understand it, is to be able to speak with intelligence and authority. Even if Romeo and Juliet is one of the Bard's weaker plays, it is still so well known that one must have read it in order to be considered (as my Enlgih teacher would have put it) literate people.

There are some others as well.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard. When I Have Fears That I May Cease to Be. Ozymandias. Xanadu. And so forth.

The problem with choosing material that is commonly known is that some of it is rather bad. I couldn't stand Wuthering Heights, the Beloved Country, Song of Solomon, The Bell Jar or Cry, the Beloved Country. I also didn't care much for Steinbeck other than Of Mice and Men.

In philosophy, there are some particular revolutionary works written recently. In political philosophy, Rawl's A Theory of Justice is right up there with the best of them. Rousseau's Social Contract I don't remember being mentioned either (Was The Art of War or The Prince mentioned either? I don't remember). Social and Political Philosophy is one of my academic specialities (remember, PoliSci professor here) so I'll try and steer clear of Montesquieu or Mussolini

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #54
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophist
"Great Books of the Western World" Ten Year Reading Plan

http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/books/gb195210.html

Plato's "The Republic" is so important, it's on the list twice.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #55
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Came to this thread from Quik's new thread on Freedom, Virtue and Society.

I fall into the category of those that prefer an anthology to reading the individual texts if only because one can cover so much more ground that way. Providing it's produced by a competent commentator then I believe you can gain much from this.

The book that I have spent most time reading - in fact it's falling apart after years of use and still sits on my bedside table - is Russell's History of Western Philosophy. I can't recommend this enough. Reading it is like painting the Forth Bridge - when you reach the end you return to the beginning and read again. Every page is packed with ideas and you can easily spen a full evening over a single page, even paragraph.

There was also a series of books published by Fontana but I think they stopped around 1990. they wwere called the Fontana Modern Masters and may well now be out of print. Each book, around 120 pages, were dedicated to one subject including Freud, Wittgenstein, Marcuse, Einstein, Joyce, McLuhan, Orwell, Popper, Barthes, Heidegger, Proust, Steinberg, Beckett, Chomsky, Levi-Strauss, Jung ........... many others.

When it comes to individual books/novels I have a more European approach. Here are a few:

Thus Sprach Zarastrustra and Beyond Good and Evil - Nietzche (in fact almost any book of Nietzche's)
The Trial - Franz Kafka
War and Peace - Tolstoi
The Outsider and The Myth of Sisyphus - Camus
The Upanishads
Don Quixote - Cervantes
The Tin Drum - Gunter Grass
Steppenwolf and The Glass Bead Game - Herman Hesse
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom - T.E. Lawrence
The Roads to Freedom trilogy by Sartre

Last edited by Mac Howard : 12-05-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #56
QuikSand
lolzcat

I thought of this thread when I saw a link to this site from refdesk:

Harvard Classics and Shelf of Fiction

Interesting array, though I confess the fiction is disarminly unfamiliar to me. Don't know if perhaps the selections are being driven by what material is available in the proper format and without copyright concerns. *shurg*

In any event... I enjoyed this thread anyway, so even if this is simply a bump, so be it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:10 PM   #57
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I have a few to add:
"The Cross of Gold" speech by William Jennings Bryan
Euclid's Elements(being a mathematician makes this first and formost to me )
Richard Wright Native Son
All the Names Jose Saramago (modern work by a recent Nobel winner)
Ode to a Grecian urn- John Keats
Ivanhoe- Walter Scott (I think)
Wuthering Heights Charlotte Bronte
A Doll House Henrik Ibsen
Glass Menagerie Tennessee Williams
The Rhinoceros Eugene Ionesco (Theatre of the Absurd)
Ulysses James Joyce (no read it but feel like Ishould)
From the Earth to the Moon Jules Verne
Flatland Edwin Abbott-Abbott
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #58
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I thought of this thread when I saw a link to this site from refdesk:

Harvard Classics and Shelf of Fiction

Interesting array, though I confess the fiction is disarminly unfamiliar to me. Don't know if perhaps the selections are being driven by what material is available in the proper format and without copyright concerns. *shurg*

In any event... I enjoyed this thread anyway, so even if this is simply a bump, so be it.

I"m still on my biography kick, having just started Chernow's Alexander Hamilton. Probably wouldn't make it on the syllabus, but oh well.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:13 AM   #59
Izulde
Head Coach

Some of these will be repeats, but I'll put in my own list, arranged by thematic structure and possible points for discussion.

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Kushiel's Avatar - Jacqueline Carey
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

Discussion points:
-The role of women, more specifically what power they have in a given society
-Female beauty and the male aesthetic. Atwood doesn't really tie in here so much, I don't believe, but it's worth looking into.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
1984 - George Orwell
Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Giver - Lois Lowry

Discussion Points
-Utopian societies inverted into dystopias. How does each author present a utopia and then distort it to a dystopia?
-Relevance of the dystopias to the modern-day world

Arthurian Romances - Chretien des Troyes
Parzival - Wolfram von Eschenbach
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - T.S. Eliot

Discussion Points
-How has the image of the romantic hero changed through the centuries?
-Is the romantic hero/questing knight archetype still possible in contemporary society? Why/Why not?

Nectar in a Sieve - Kamala Markandaya
Mister Johnson - Joyce Carey
Burning Grass - Cyprian Ekwensi
Post-Colonial Studies: The Key Concepts - Bill Ashcroft, Gareth Griffiths and Helen Tiffin*

Discussion Points
-What effects have the colonizer had on the colonized? The colonized on the colonizer?
-How does a country or an individual bridge the gap between their pre-colonial past and their colonized history in shaping their new nation?
*-Not literature, but a reference text for understanding and engaging in the post-colonial debate.

Nyquil's kicking in, so I'm headed to bed. I'll try and work more on this tomorrow because this has been fun

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #60
digamma
Torchbearer

My college is offering for this fall an opportunity for alumni to take a "distance learning" course on Justice. The idea is to present the actual lectures from the undergraduate course online (24 total lectures) and then follow them up with 4 in person discussions led by various speakers. There would also be an online discussion forum for the course.

The course is a moral reasoning course and studies various philosophies and theories of justice, beginning with utilitarianism and venturing through Aristotle, Kant and Rawls. I actually took the course as a freshman (in the fall of 1994).

I'm strongly considering participating in the program (admittedly, partially because it will count for continuing legal education credit in the hard to get (but required in California) ethics category). I think it will be an interesting exercise to compare my thoughts now versus back then (I'm fairly sure I have my class notes somewhere). I'll update if I move forward.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #61
st.cronin
General Manager

I've been reading Don Quixote, and I've been very surprised by how funny it is.

I've also been re-reading Kurzweil's The Age of Spiritual Machines, and would like to recommend it for consideration: Its not a classic (I think it was written in 1998), but it presents a pretty good summary of the various problems presented by consciousness - problems which have been known about at least since Plotinus.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #62
DanGarion
Coordinator

Wow no mention of "Beyond Good and Evil", Friedirich Nietzsche.

Not that I consider it the most influential thing I've ever read, but it definitely makes you think and it is good.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-01-2007 at 02:27 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #63
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm a big fan of Schopenhauer's philosophical works, which supposedly Nietschze was heavily influenced by him.

knives out
Old 06-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #64
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I've been reading Don Quixote, and I've been very surprised by how funny it is.

I've also been re-reading Kurzweil's The Age of Spiritual Machines, and would like to recommend it for consideration: Its not a classic (I think it was written in 1998), but it presents a pretty good summary of the various problems presented by consciousness - problems which have been known about at least since Plotinus.

Don Quixote is possibly my favorite book ever. It does taper off toward the end, though.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #65
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Didn't catch this thread the first time around. I guess I'll throw some 20th century science books into the mix:

Antonio Damasio - Descartes' Error
Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene (also The Extended Phenotype, The Blind Watchmaker, Climbing Mount Improbable, etc.)
Theodosius Dobzhansky - Genetics and the Origin of Species
Albert Einstein - Relativity
R.A. Fisher - The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection
Thomas Kuhn - The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
Allen Newell and Herbert Simon - Human Problem Solving
James Watson - The Double Helix
E.O. Wilson - Sociobiology (also On Human Nature, The Ants, The Diversity of Life, etc.)

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #66
Izulde
Head Coach

I started Don Quixote a while back, but haven't finished it. It's funny in parts, but so far I'm not seeing it as a genuine classic. I do, however, suspect the translation to be at fault here, so I'm going to look for a better version later on.

I finally finishes the 1254 page unabridged Count of Monte Cristo (translated by Robin Buss) and I all have to say is... Wow. I resolved to make this summer an Alexandre Dumas summer after running across an unabridged version of The Three Musketeers in a second-hand bookstore in La Crosse.

Enjoyed T3M immensely, but Monte Cristo was so brilliant, so damned satisfying, that it instantly vaulted into one of my top 3 favourite books of all time.

I started The Black Tulip last night, incidentally.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #67
Izulde
Head Coach

dola,

for anyone looking into Dumas, I *strongly* recommend Robin Buss's translations in the Penguin unabridged editions. Buss does an excellent job of translation.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #68
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I finally finishes the 1254 page unabridged Count of Monte Cristo (translated by Robin Buss) and I all have to say is... Wow

I read this in high school and thought it was great....and then later in life, I learned that what I read was really an abridged version of it. Damn you high school library! Anyway, I've been meaning to read this, the real version of it.

And while we are on the topic of translated books, anyone have a recommendation on what translated copy of Arabian Nights I should get? I always get nervious about buying books that have been translated. Is just getting the Penguin Classics version of a book a good general rule to go by?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #69
sabotai
General Manager

I just copy and pasted all of the titles and authors mentioned in this thread (and put them into categories). I'm wondering if there's any interest in starting this discussion back up, namely to fill some voids (just two titles I have under economics, Wealth of Nations and Das Kapital, even though some political books surely spill over into economics) and to weed out a bunch of titles where there is overfill (lots and lots of novels on the list - it's about half of the list).

Also, there seems to be a few different trains of thought going on here. Some think the list shopuld include the classics, to read the old books, even though they are outated (Origin of Species for one), and those who want a list of anthology/summery books on all of the topics (namely for topics like science and philosophy)

Perhaps the best solution would be to break it up into parts. One part could be a (short-ish) list of original writings and a second list of anthology/summeries that cover a wide range of ideas/authors/topics/etc.

For instance:

Philosophy - Anthologies/Summeries
Story of Philosophy - Will Durent
History of Western Philosophy - B. Russell

Philosophy - Original Writings
Selected Works - Aristotle
Beyond Good and Evil - Friedrich Nietzshe

In essence, creating a few different syllabi for the two or three different ways people could approach this idea of a "life syllabus" (and perhaps one that combines the 2? One of some summeries with a few 'essential' original writings)
Old 06-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #70
sabotai
General Manager

And here's the list I made. A few titles may be in the wrong category, and I may have a repeat or two considering there are some "No mention of (Title)?!?!?OMFG!!!" when there were already a few mentions of it.

Literature - Novel
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri
Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes
War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Illiad - Homer
Oddysey - Homer
Season of Migration to the North - Tayeb Salih
As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Adventures of Augie March - Saul Bellow
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Hemingway
The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis
Charlotte's Web - E.B. White
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
The Killer Angels - Michael Shaara
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Grapse of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Dog Years - Gunter Grass
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
The Rievers - William Faulkner
O Pioneers - Willa Cather
Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
Ulysses - James Joyce
A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
Fahters and Sons - Ivan Turgenev
Advise and Consent - Allen Drury
Point Counter Point - Aldous Huxley
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Hainlein
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
Watership Down - Richard Adams
Maus - Art Spiegelman
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Dracula - Bram Stoker
The Godfather - Mario Puzo
The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain
Sword of Truth series - Terry Goodkind
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard - Thomas Gray
The Trial - Franz Kafka
The Outsider - Camus
The Myth of Sisyphus - Camus
The Upanishads - Eknath Easwaran
The Tin Drum - Gunter Grass
Steppenwolf - Herman Hesse
The Glass Bead Game - Herman Hesse
The Seven Pillars of Wisdon - T. E. Lawrence
Native Son - Richard A Wright
All The Names - Jose Saramago
Ivanhoe - Walter Scott
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
From the Earth to the Moon - Jules Verne
Flatland - Edwin Abbot
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Kushiel's Avatar - Jacqueline Carey
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Giver - Lois Lowry
Arthurian Romances - Chretien des Troyes
Parzival - Wolfram von Eschenbach
Nectar in a Sieve - Kamala Markandaya
Mister Johnson - Joyce Carey
Burning Grass - Cyprian Ekwensi
Romance of the 3 Kingdoms - Luo Guanzhong
1001 Arabian Nights (have not read this yet, would this be better off being described as a collection of short stories?)
The Foundation Trilogy - Issac Asimov
The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
Shogun - James Clavell
Dune - Frank Herbert
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

- Short Story/Novellas
A Good Man is Hard to Find - Flannery O'Connor
Palm Wine Drinkard - Amos Tutuola
The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
A Simple Life - Gustave Flaubert

- Poetry
Shakespeare
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgard Allen Poe
Emely Dickinson
Lord Byron
e.e.cummings
Sandberg
Robert Frost
Alfred Tennyson
Walt Whitman
"When I Have Fears That I May Cease to Be" - John Keats
"Ozymandias" - Percy Bysshe Shelley
"Xanadu" - Samuel Taylor Colleridge
"Ode to a Grecian urn" - John Keats
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - T.S. Eliot

- Plays/Theater/etc.
Hamlet - William Shakespeare
King Lear - William Shakespeare
The Tempest - William Shakespeare
The Orestia - Aeschylus
Oklahoma
Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller
A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams
Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett
Uncle Vanya - Anton Chekhov
Angels in America - Tony Kushner
Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
The Rhinoceros - Eugene Ionesco
A Doll's House - Henrik Ibsen
Glass Menagerie - Tennessee Williams
The Chalk Circle
The Clay Cart
A Midsummer's Night Dream - Shakespeare
Oedipus - Sophocles
Le Tartuffe
The Government Inspector - Nikolai Gogol

Biography/Autobiography/Memoirs
Night - Elie Wiesel
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Frederick Douglass
The Last Lion - William Manchester

Philosophy
Story of Philosphy - Will Durent
Dialogues - Plato
Selected Works - Aristotle
Meditations on First Philosphy - Rene Descartes
History of Western Philosophy - B. Russell
Beyond Good and Evil - Friedrich Nietzsche
The Roads of Freedom series - Sartre
The writings of Arthur Schopenhauer

Science
The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
A Brief History in Time - Stephen Hawking
Elements - Euclid
The Age of Spiritual Machines - Ray Kurzweil
Descartes' Error - Antonio Damasio
The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
Genetics and the Origin of Species - Theodosius Dobzhansky
Relativity - Albert Einstein
The Genetic Theory of Natural Selection - R.A. Fisher
The Structure of Scientific Revolutions - Thomas Kuhn
Human Problem Solving - Allen Newell and Herbet Simon
The Double Helix - James Watson
Sociobiology - E. O. Wilson

History
Lives of Noble Grecians and Romans - Plutarch
Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon
The Fifties - David Halberstam
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
Post-Colonial Studies: The Key Concepts - Bill Ashcroft

Speeches/Documents
Gettysburg Address - Lincoln
Churchill's "Never Surrender" speech
Declaration of Independance
The U.S. Constitution
Las Casas' testimony on Spanish colonization
Aeropagitica - John Milton
"The Cross of Gold" - William Jennings Bryan

Politics/Government
The Politics - Aristotle
The Republic - Plato
Two Treatises of Government - Locke
Democracy in America - Alexis de Tocqueville
Leviathon - Thomas Hobbes
On Liberty - John Stuart Mill
The Federalist Papers - Alexander Hamilton, John Madison, John Jay
The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels
A Theory of Justice - John Rawls
The Social Contract - Jean-Jaques Rousseau

Economics
Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith
Das Kapital - Karl Marx
The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money - John Maynard Keynes

Religion/Theology
Summa Theologica - St. Thomas Aquinas
The Confessions - St. Augustine
The Holy Bible
The Koran
The Analects - Confucius
Mencius - (Confucianism) - Anonymous
The writings of Hsun Tzu (Neo-Confucianism)
The writings of Chuang Tzu (Toaism)
Tao Te Ching - Lao Tsu (Toaism)
Bhagavad-Gita

Art/Music Theory and Appreciation

Last edited by sabotai : 06-11-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #71
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Great job with the list. I imagine I'll be using it fairly frequently this summer.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #72
Izulde
Head Coach

Just a couple slight corrections: It's Lolita, not Lalita and "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is a poem, not a novel. Admittedly my fault when I constructed the possible units not to indicate it.

^--- Plays, which are currently in the Novels category

Great job compiling the list in general though

Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #73
st.cronin
General Manager

Theology/Religion is already an overloaded category, but there's nothing from the vast tradition of India, which is of course where Buddhism was born. Perhaps add the Bhagavad-Gita, which is not overwhelmingly long. I am told that the most accurate translation is the one put together by the Hare Krishnas (believe it or not).

Probably the most influential modern economist is Keynes, but I can't really point us at a single work.

knives out
Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #74
Izulde
Head Coach

The Upshanaids (sp) are in the novels category, st. cronin. I forget whether that's directly theological or more folkloric though.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #75
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
- Plays/Theater/etc.
Hamlet - William Shakespeare
King Lear - William Shakespeare
The Tempest - William Shakespeare
The Orestia - Aeschylus
Oklahoma
Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller
A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams
Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett
Uncle Vanya - Anton Chekhov
Angels in America - Tony Kushner
Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
The Rhinoceros - Eugene Ionesco

Take or leave these suggestions. Given that this exercise is supposed to cover all of human written drama, Williams is overly represented. I'd ditch one and put Mother Courage by Brecht in it's place. I'd also add The Chalk Circle as traditional Chinese and maybe The Clay Cart as Sanskrit. Obviously this list is going to be Western heavy, but you need some representation from Asia in theatre.

I'd also argue that you need Oedipus on the list. It's a tremendous play on it's own, but it's also referred to so often in other works that it would seem to be essential.

There's also not a single comedy on the list. That isn't surprising as comedy has always been the ugly step child among critics, but I'd maybe replace one of the Shakespeare tragedies with Midsummer as well as add a Moliere, probably Tartuffe, and The Government Inspector by Gogol.

This is a fun project and let me know if I can help any more with the theatre section.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #76
Izulde
Head Coach

We're real light in the Middle East and Asia in terms of novels, too. I'd go with Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and 1001 Arabian Nights as the most obvious jumping off points.

I'll take a look when I get a chance to see what else I can dig up that'd be more contemporary.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #77
Izulde
Head Coach

Dola,

for short stories, I'd suggest Rabindranath Tagore's "Hungry Stones"

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #78
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Take or leave these suggestions. Given that this exercise is supposed to cover all of human written drama, Williams is overly represented. I'd ditch one and put Mother Courage by Brecht in it's place. I'd also add The Chalk Circle as traditional Chinese and maybe The Clay Cart as Sanskrit. Obviously this list is going to be Western heavy, but you need some representation from Asia in theatre.

I'd also argue that you need Oedipus on the list. It's a tremendous play on it's own, but it's also referred to so often in other works that it would seem to be essential.

There's also not a single comedy on the list. That isn't surprising as comedy has always been the ugly step child among critics, but I'd maybe replace one of the Shakespeare tragedies with Midsummer as well as add a Moliere, probably Tartuffe, and The Government Inspector by Gogol.

This is a fun project and let me know if I can help any more with the theatre section.

Do you think Lorca's worth including at all?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #79
sabotai
General Manager

Added the recent suggestions and added some of my own novel suggestions.

The Foundation Trilogy - Issac Asimov
The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
Shogun - James Clavell
Dune - Frank Herbert
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 AM   #80
sabotai
General Manager

Anyone want to start making arguments for removing titles from the list?

If we really want to trim this down to what digamma's original intent was (to become well educated and not sound like morons at a dinner party), we're probably going to need to make deep cuts to this thing (and start adding more anthology/summery type books)

If, however, we want to move in the direction that it seems to be moving (Having a life-long reading list), then we probably don't need to make many cuts.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #81
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Do you think Lorca's worth including at all?

I love Lorca and wouldn't be opposed to adding him, but I don't think he's worthy of a spot on such a short list. Honestly I'm not sure Williams is either, but if you take the view that this is a US based reader it makes some sense.