Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
Samdari
Roster Filler

Important ACC/Big East question

The SU forums are hopping with speculation that ACC rules prevent beer from being sold at ACC events. Can any fans of the conference and/or its member schools confirm this?

Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I believe that to be pretty much standard procedure for On-Campus Facilities, the key words there being On-Campus..

I know you can't purchase Beer at UCF Basketball & Baseball Games because those facilities (UCF Arena & Jay Bergman Field) are right On-Campus, but as for UCF Football Games at the Florida Citrus Bowl (Downtown Orlando, 20-30 Minutes from Campus), that's a completely different story..

The same has held true for the other On and Off-Campus facilities I've visited for different games and events over the past few years, in several different states.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 06-05-2003 at 03:55 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

I thought you said this was important.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

they don't sell beer at Rutgers stadium either. :0(

edit: and this is already the Big East. is this really that big an issue?

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 06-05-2003 at 04:01 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Good point, where are your priorities anyway Sam?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

At FSU, it depends on where the event is - on campus (football, baseball) - No. Off campus - (basketball, at the civic center) - Yes.

Based on that, I'd say there is no ACC rule, or the on/off-campus rule is the rule.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:57 PM   #7
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

KSyrup, how are you enjoying the Adrian McPherson proceedings today? I know FSU Football loves TV and the spotlight that goes along with it, but isn't this whole Court TV thing taking it to a whole new level?

Last edited by MylesKnight : 06-05-2003 at 03:59 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I always understood it as:

State Schools: No beer on campus
Private School: Sell as much beer as possible

I think the only ACC rule is no beer is sold at the ACC tournament. Not sure though.

The Carrier Dome is ON-Campus and they sell a lot of beer.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:06 PM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

Georgia Tech does not sell beer at its on-campus events (basketball, football) - but its sold when we play at the Georgia Dome (rarely).
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:09 PM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
KSyrup, how are you enjoying the Adrian McPherson proceedings today? I know FSU Football loves TV and the spotlight that goes along with it, but isn't this whole Court TV thing taking it to a whole new level?

Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to it at all. I just don't care about it. When August comes around, I'll be ready to watch the games, but all of this other crap - they can keep it. I'm not an FSU apologist - if the school did something wrong, they should pay just like any other school. I'm more of a fan of pro football, anyway. The only reason I even root for FSU is because I went to law school here. But prior to moving to Florida in 1991, I barely knew that college football existed.

As for McPherson, I'll be surprised if he's found guilty. Not many local celebrities get convicted here. Of course, in his case, this could be the local community's chance to get back at him for putting FSU's football program under the microscope.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:34 PM   #11
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
State Schools: No beer on campus
Private School: Sell as much beer as possible

I had thought this as well. I find it interesting that Ga Tech does not sell beer at on campus events.

It is important for one reason. I am fairly certain that the ACC requiring SU to stop selling beer at the dome would kill the merger from SU's side. No amount of shared revenue could replace beer sales.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:18 PM   #12
digamma
Torchbearer

Georgia Tech is a state institution and all of its athletic facilities are on campus.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:10 AM   #13
PSUColonel
Banned

"I believe that to be pretty much standard procedure for On-Campus Facilities, the key words there being On-Campus."

This is correct.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote