Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Denial of Pregnacy Syndrome?!?

So it's a syndrome now, anyone think that this sets a terrible precident if it's used as a defense?

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...er_charge.html

Drexel student arraigned on murder chargeBy Kathy Brady Shea
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
A 19-year-old Drexel Hill woman turned herself in to police this morning and was arraigned on first-degree charges in connection with the death of her newborn son, whose body was found in a car trunk in January.
Charges against Mia Sardella, a Drexel University student, include first-degree murder and abuse of a corpse.

Sardella appeared with her attorney, Arthur T. Donato Jr., at the Upper Darby public safety building, where she was arraigned in Delaware County District Court. Judge Kelly A. Micozzie-Aguirre ordered her held without bail.

Sardella appeared in court with her parents and grandparents. Dressed in a black T-shirt and black slacks and sandals, she stood silently and drummed her fingers nervously as the judge read the list of 11 charges.

After she was ordered to jail, she turned and looked at her parents with visible alarm.

Later, her attorney said there is no evidence in the case to support a charge of homicide. Donato said he would be able to "to refute any indication of any type of murder."

Sardella is the granddaughter of Albert E. Piscopo, chief executive of the Glenmede Trust Co., an investment firm that manages the assets of the Pew Charitable Trusts and other high-end clients. He did not to speak to reporters at the hearing. Sardella's parents, Stephanie Leone and Daniel Sardella, also did not comment.

The baby's cause of death was determined to be asphyxiation, according to the Delaware County medical examiner, Fredric N. Hellman.

The dead infant was discovered Jan. 22 by Sardella's mother in the trunk of her car.

"The child was born alive, viable and healthy," said Deputy District Attorney Michael Gallantino, "He was prevented from breathing, which caused death."

There has been extensive coverage of and public interest in the case, which Chitwood said stemmed in part from the prominence of Piscopo. He serves on a variety of boards, including those of the Opera Company of Philadelphia and Community College of Philadelphia.

None of Sardella's friends, relatives or associates knew she was pregnant, Chitwood said. The baby's father, an unidentified former boyfriend of Sardella's, told police he asked Sardella about an apparent weight gain during a chance meeting with her in the fall. He said she blamed it on an adverse reaction to a birth-control patch, police said.

In a search of the Drexel Hill home where Sardella lived before attending college, police confiscated an article on the "denial of pregnancy" syndrome, which typically affects young girls who convince themselves they cannot be pregnant.

Yesterday, Donato said, "That appears to be what happened here."

Doris C. Vallone, an associate professor at Widener University who has studied pregnancy denial, said, "Teenagers have magical thinking; they believe, if they don't deal with it, it will go away."

Early on, Chitwood accused defense attorneys of delaying interviews with family members, and last week he expressed concern that his investigators were excluded from a meeting with Hellman and representatives of the District Attorney's Office.

The investigation began after police received a phone call from Donato, who said Leone, found the body, with the umbilical cord still attached, underneath some bloody towels in a tote bag in her car trunk. Police later said that Sardella gave birth to a 5- to 6-pound infant while she was home for the holiday break.

Donato said he called authorities after being contacted by Piscopo, Leone's father. Donato said Piscopo suspected the baby's mother was his granddaughter.

Contact staff writer Kathleen Brady Shea at 610-701-7625 or [email protected].

Updated 9:00 AM EDTMOST VIEWED ON PHILLY.COM
Jim Salisbury | Gillick's criticism proves constructive
Incites | A McNabb trade (in theory)
Ex-Villanova star Howard Porter in grave condition
Pa. woman sentenced to prison for trying to cut baby from womb
Second child attacked by coyote in Middletown
Updated 9:00 AM EDTMOST EMAILED ON PHILLY.COM
Paterno to require community service from entire team
Incites | A McNabb trade (in theory)
Ex-Villanova star Howard Porter in grave condition
EX-'NOVA STAR IN GRAVE CONDITION
Ex-seaport museum chief charged

Latest Stories in this Section
OZZY DOOMED 02:17 AM EDT
By DAN GERINGER
Obama gets star greeting at Phila. fund-raising trip 05/22/2007 09:42 PM EDT
By Thomas Fitzgerald
Obama's presidential tour makes stop at Philly concert venue 05/22/2007 08:27 PM EDT
PATRICK WALTERS
Fed up by recent fire, Corzine calls for closing of Pinelands training area 05/22/2007 04:56 PM EDT
By Jennifer Moroz
Drexel student arraigned on murder charges 05/22/2007 09:21 AM EDT
By Kathleen Brady Shea
Baby dead in trunk was alive at birth 05/22/2007 02:27 AM EDT
By Kathleen Brady Shea
Delco autopsy: Baby was killed 05/22/2007 02:16 AM EDT
By STEPHANIE FARR & WILLIAM BENDER
Former Camden school employees plead not guilty to theft, other charges 05/21/2007 06:45 PM EDT
By Melanie Burney
Former Independence Seaport Museum director charged 05/21/2007 04:33 PM EDT
By John Shiffman
Seized guns resold by police 05/20/2007 02:28 AM EDT
By Mark Fazlollah and John Shiffman
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I can't imagine this will actually work. Juries might be dumb, but they aren't that dumb.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
billethius
Mascot

I have no doubt that some women - especially young ones - do convince themselves that they cannot be pregnant. Of course, that has nothing to do with murdering your child. I'd imagine once she gave birth she couldn't really deny that she had been pregnant, and even if she could, it's got nothing to do with killing someone.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

How is this a defense? Once she saw the baby coming out of her there wasn't much denying that.

Denial of fucking. I want to meet a girl that has this. I would have free reign!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

This makes me sad. Being someone who has fought a long battle in an effort to have children, this makes me really sad.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Denial of fucking. I want to meet a girl that has this.

That sounds like most of the girls I met in college.

Fuck request? Denied.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Denial of fucking. I want to meet a girl that has this.
Get married.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Get married.

I thought that married women all contracted blowaphobia?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We're heading down an even stranger road as we move towards the future. Bleh.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
Huckleberry
College Starter

As others have said, how is the pregnancy denial a defense?

The charges don't change just because she didn't think she had been pregnant. It's still homicide even if it was someone else's baby.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
This makes me sad. Being someone who has fought a long battle in an effort to have children, this makes me really sad.

Agreed. Still no kids here. What I don't understand with all the available contraceptions that are out there.....ah nevermind. I hope she spends a long, long time in jail.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
billethius
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Agreed. Still no kids here. What I don't understand with all the available contraceptions that are out there.....ah nevermind. I hope she spends a long, long time in jail.

Not to mention the highly effective abstinence-only education! This girl probably skipped that class.

Last edited by billethius : 05-23-2007 at 12:41 PM.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
amdaily
College Prospect

No prob here. If you can kill a "fetus" months into the development, why not be able to kill the "newborn" months into development; let's says 3 months for example?

Last edited by amdaily : 05-23-2007 at 05:32 PM.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 AM   #14
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Men have been using this strategy for years... to no avail.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 AM   #15
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post
No prob here. If you can kill a "fetus" months into the development, why not be able to kill the "newborn" months into development; let's says 3 months for example?
No heartbeat, No brainwave, No soul.

Just because something is growing does not mean it is alive. The hair on your head will continue to grow for years and years after you have been buried.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:04 AM   #16
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
No heartbeat, No brainwave, No soul.

Just because something is growing does not mean it is alive. The hair on your head will continue to grow for years and years after you have been buried.

Come on, man. Unless I've been completely missing sarcasm here, you two are way off. I'm pretty vehemently pro-abortion, but once the baby comes out....It's time to let all doubts go. You've had plenty of time to think it over.

I can't help but feel like amdaily and 14ers were being sarcastic..were they? Please tell they were!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:58 AM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Cases like this are so avoidable. I think like 99% of the public is unaware of of the existance of legal child abandonment in this country.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #18
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
The hair on your head will continue to grow for years and years after you have been buried.

You're kidding, right? Somehow hair magically continues to grow despite lack of blood flow or respiration of any kind?! Heck, if this were true, Hairclub for Men could have huge farms of dead people growing hair for male pattern baldness! OMG, maybe they do! Conspiracy!

Just because an older kid told you this as fact years ago while you both waited for the school bus to arrive doesn't necessarily make it true.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 05-24-2007 at 05:29 AM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #19
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Just an update, this girl is out on bail. She has very well to do parents.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote