Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #1051
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh man, I think I love this Sepulveda punter dude already. Frigging built like a brick shithouse, and kicks the tar out of the ball. You know it's the offseason when you get excited about a punter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #1052
Tigercat
College Starter

Well the Saints have done some interesting things with undrafted free agents, including apparently signing the big 375 pound front flipping DT Walter Thomas. Will be interesting to see if he can make the practice squad, much less the roster, with pure talent but hardly any experience.

I have a feeling it will be a repeat of Brock Lesnar, but we could really use a stud DT, so I would love to be wrong.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #1053
oykib
College Starter

The Moss deal was genius. Pure genius.

This is where all the people who chastised the Pats as cheap for the Branch thing need to admit that they were mistaken.

Moss for a $3 million cap number or Branch for a $6-7 million one.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #1054
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Well the Saints have done some interesting things with undrafted free agents, including apparently signing the big 375 pound front flipping DT Walter Thomas. Will be interesting to see if he can make the practice squad, much less the roster, with pure talent but hardly any experience.

I have a feeling it will be a repeat of Brock Lesnar, but we could really use a stud DT, so I would love to be wrong.

Glad to see someone try out Thomas. I'll also be interested to see what happens. Probably nothing much, but I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #1055
JW
College Prospect

When is ESPN doing its Brady Quinn 2007 draft day retrospective?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #1056
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
This is why it's a great trade for the Pats, even if Moss never plays a down in a competitive game. The Raiders selected cornerback John Bowie from Cincinnati with the pick they got from New England. Who has more upside???

Actually, the logic behind it for the Raiders was the extra pick they got for Moss allowed them to take a risk with RB Michael Bush, a guy with a broken leg who has TONS of upside if he heals. Without the extra NE pick, they don't draft a guy who had a new titanium rod put in his leg last month because the bone hadn't been healing properly. With the pick, they get Bush and Al still gets to select the fastest player in the draft (4.24) that he foolishly reaches for every year.

The Patriots clearly are the beneficiaries of the fact that Moss had the Raiders bent over and ready to slide it in. He had a $9+ contract that the Raiders couldn't afford. He told them the only team he'll renegotiate for is NE. Moss held all the cards. It was either trade him to NE for whatever they could get or release him. There were no other options. The Raiders were holding out to get at least a 3rd for him, but as soon as they saw Michael Bush sitting there in round 4, they changed tune and happily took the 4th rounder.

In the end, it's an interesting trade. Really not much downside in it for either team, potentially lots of upside for either team. In context it makes sense for both sides. Out of context, the trade is ridiculously lopsided in favor of the Patriots.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #1057
Danny
Head Coach

I think it was a good deal for the Pats to get Moss, but it was also a good move for the Raiders to get rid of him. The Raiders aren't going to be taking the league by storm next season and Moss would continue to cause problems under those conditions. Best not to have that attitude around and try and instill a positive team identity in hopes of becoming a good team once JR and coach Kiffin mature.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #1058
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Both Randy Moss and Corey Dillon are players who got bad raps for wanting to play for a winner more than anything else. Moss was a fine player that anyone would want until Minnesota started to lose consistently. Dillon put up with year after year of being a Bengal and got what he deserved in the end for all his hard work basically carrying a franchise on his back for 5 or 6 years.

I highly doubt Moss does anything but catch about 75 passes for 1300 yards and 15 td's this year, and that his enthusiasm for the game will be renewed as a result of a stellar season in the thick of the super bowl hunt. I think people confuse T.O. with Randy way too much, because there is hardly a comparison between the two off the field. The only similarity between them is both are outstanding players.

I don't think any player with the skills of a Moss would enjoy playing for the 2006 Raiders any more than he did - No QB to throw you the ball, no O-line to give that QB any time to throw, and no running game to take the pressure off the passing game pretty much makes for a very disheartening and frustrating season for anyone, especially when that player has the talent to be so much more. I'd bet anything he reverts to the Randy Moss of the late 90's for this season and beyond, because he is not T.O.. He just wants to win. The Pats will do that a LOT this season.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #1059
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Glad to see someone try out Thomas. I'll also be interested to see what happens. Probably nothing much, but I hope I'm wrong.

There is, like, a 30 page thread dedicated to the signing on the Saints message board--which I think is bigger than the threads dedicated to the guys that the Saints actually drafted.

His myspace page http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=40459175 has generated a lot of the discussion. Lots of questions about maturity and thugishness, with others pointing out the thorny racial issues that inhere whenever a bunch of middle age white guys on message boards start calling young black athletes thuggish.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-01-2007 at 07:25 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #1060
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
When is ESPN doing its Brady Quinn 2007 draft day retrospective?

I'm not sure they've given him enough media coverage yet

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #1061
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just heard that Brady Quinn is going to replace John Ratzenberger on "Dancing With the Stars" next week. Also, Brady Quinn is taking over for Rosie O'Donnell on "The View" after Rosie leaves. In addition to that, Brady Quinn is getting his own reality show, and he'll be guest hosting "The Tonight Show" in July. All of that, and he'll be filling in for Judge Judy next month. Amazing.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #1062
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I just heard that Brady Quinn is going to replace John Ratzenberger on "Dancing With the Stars" next week. Also, Brady Quinn is taking over for Rosie O'Donnell on "The View" after Rosie leaves. In addition to that, Brady Quinn is getting his own reality show, and he'll be guest hosting "The Tonight Show" in July. All of that, and he'll be filling in for Judge Judy next month. Amazing.

He can do that because his sister looks just like him and can fill in.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #1063
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Brady Quinn does not sleep. He waits.

Brady Quinn once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now The Islands.

Brady Quinn' calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd; no one fools Brady Quinn.

Brady Quinn counted to infinity - twice.

Superman owns a pair of Brady Quinn pajamas.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #1064
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Keyshawn Johnson was cut by the Panthers today. I wonder if it had anything to do with his talk covering the draft that could have alienated Delhomme. It does seem to be a peculiar move by a team that payed him a 3 million dollar roster bonus about a month ago.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-01-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #1065
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Keyshawn Johnson was cut by the Panthers today. I wonder if it had anything to do with his talk covering the draft that could have alienated Delhomme. It does seem to be a peculiar move by a team that payed him a 3 million dollar roster bonus about a month ago.

apparently the $3 mil thing was misreported.:

Quote:
No $3 million bonus for Johnson

Let's clear up a little matter here before it gets too wide-spread: The Panthers DID NOT pay Keyshawn Johnson a $3 million roster bonus on April 1, as has been reported elsewhere and has fans scratching their heads.

The Panthers did pay Johnson $1 million April 1. But that was deferred money from the signing bonus he agreed to when he initially signed with the Panthers. Johnson also was due a $1 million reporting bonus at the start of training camp. Obviously, he won't get that money and it won't count against the salary cap.

Anyone know why Corey Chavous wasn't brought back to do analysis on NFLN? Last year I thought he was the most informed, insightful, and interesting analyst on any of the channels, much better than Keyshawn. maybe it's just a rotating thing with active players. Hopefully Chavous will get hired when he retires.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #1066
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
apparently the $3 mil thing was misreported.:

Anyone know why Corey Chavous wasn't brought back to do analysis on NFLN? Last year I thought he was the most informed, insightful, and interesting analyst on any of the channels, much better than Keyshawn. maybe it's just a rotating thing with active players. Hopefully Chavous will get hired when he retires.

I could see Chavous working in a team's personnel dept. He really enjoys that type of stuff. I agree he would be very good on TV as well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #1067
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
Brady Quinn counted to infinity - twice.

While waiting on his name to be called.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #1068
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

An interesting tidbit from Peter King with respect to offers made to the Lions for No. 2/Calvin Johnson.

While many made offers, apparently the Broncos came the closest weeks before the draft offering two first-round picks, a second-rounder and two third-rounders, plus veteran linebacker Al Wilson, but when the Broncos wouldn't substitute another second-round pick for the injured Wilson, Millen turned them down.

Apparently, after all the pre-draft stuff, when the Lions were finally on the clock, no more offers came.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #1069
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
Anyone know why Corey Chavous wasn't brought back to do analysis on NFLN?

informed, insightful, and interesting

Sadly, I think you answered your own question. Gives us a guy who shouts a lot instead! wheeeeee!!!!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #1070
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post

The Walter Thomas era lasted 15 minutes. Apparently 15 mins in to the workout session he had to be examined by team doctors, and was sent home.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #1071
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The Walter Thomas era lasted 15 minutes. Apparently 15 mins in to the workout session he had to be examined by team doctors, and was sent home.

Heh, yea apparently 2 JUCO games in two years doesn't keep one in football shape, flips or no flips.

Edit:And sorry for comparing him to you Brock Lesnar, at least you lasted a full practice and more.

Last edited by Tigercat : 05-17-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote