Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Dunleavy
High School JV

2007 NFL Draft write up, Grades, Best/Worst

-First Round Grades
-Team Grades
-Best/Worst Pick

Grades: “A” making best pick possible “A-“ Passed on one or two other options but still solid pick “A+” above and beyond expiations for that pick “B” Decent pick but there were better options “C” Poor pick “D” Terrible pick “F” Horrible

Prospect Rankings: (7) would mean seventh best player in draft. Note, there is a drop in talent from 4 to 5 (super elite to elite) and 8 to 9 (elite to first round rated)

1. Oakland-Jamarcus Russell, QB LSU (2)
My Pick- Russell
Grade A
CJ is tempting, especially with Moss out the door, but the franchise need a QB and Russell is worthy of the number one overall pick

2. Detroit-Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech (1)
My Pick- Johnson
Grade A
The Williams-Furrey combination is solid and there are many needs for this team so trading CJ for a big bounty would have been ideal, however you don’t deal him for a bargain discount

3. Cleveland-Joe Thomas, T Wisconsin (4)
My Pick- Peterson
Grade A-
I had a lean toward Peterson as a better prospect, and RB as a bigger need then OL considering the money invested in FA, but this is a solid safe pick

4. Tampa Bay- Gaines Adams, DE Clemson (6)
My Pick- Trade for CJ
Grade A-
Adams is great fit for a cover two team but I would gone for CJ offering the 35th overall and disgruntled CB Brian Kelly which should be fair value, if the Lions won’t budge then the deal is off and you take Adams for yourself

5. Arizona- Levi Brown, T Penn State (9)
My Pick- Brown
Grade A-
Poor value for the fifth selection but is a good fit with the new Cardinals coaching staff

6. Washington- Laron Landry, S LSU (5)
My Pick- Landry
Grade A
Ideally the Skins should have traded down and addressed the DL but they couldn’t have made a better selection here

7. Minnesota- Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma (3)
My Pick- Peterson
Grade A+
Without a doubt the best player available

8. Atlanta- Jamaal Anderson, DE Arkansas (10)
My Pick- Trade Up
Grade B
There was a big opportunity missed here as far as trading up with Washington and grabbing either Landry or Peterson who rate considerable higher and would certainly be worth giving up a third round pick for (they have seven picks in the first four rounds and two seconds to grab a DE later)

9. Miami- Ted Ginn Jr., WR Ohio State (36)
My Pick- Meacheam
Grade F
Ginn doesn’t rate any where near the top ten due to questionable receiving intangibles (route running etc…). Meacheam would have been much better WR option. Cam Cameron appeared too locked into Ginn because he’s known him since he was a promising 13 year old

10. Houston- Amobi Okoye, DT Louisville (12)
My Pick- Meachem, Okoye
Grade A-
Good need/value pick

11. San Francisco... Patrick Willis, MLB Mississippi (7)
My Pick- Willis
Grade A+
Outstanding value

12. Buffalo- Marshawn Lynch, RB California (20)
My Pick- Lynch
Grade A-
Good job addressing critical need

13. St. Louis- Adam Carriker, DE Nebraska (15)
My Pick- Carriker
Grade A
Good job addressing need

14. NY Jets- Darrelle Revis, CB Pittsburgh (14)
My Pick- Revis
Grade A
Good trade up, instead on waiting for the unknown at 25 Jets go up and get top player at their top need

15. Pittsburgh-Lawrence Timmons, OLB Florida State (11)
My Pick- Timmons
Grade A
Great need/value pick

16. Green Bay- Justin Harrell, DT Tennesse (34)
My Pick- Meachem
Grade B
Need but poor value

17. Denver- Jarvis Moss, DE Florida (29)
My Pick- Stay at 21
Grade C
Moss and Spencer are so similar, with Spencer rated higher so why over pay to move up four spots

18. Cincinnati- Leon Hall, CB Michigan (25)
My Pick- Ross
Grade A-
Good job addressing need

19. Tennessee- Michael Griffin, SS Texas (22)
My Pick- Meachem
Grade C
I like Griffin a lot, but I love Meacheam

20. NY Giants- Aaron Ross, CB Texas (23)
My Pick- Staley
Grade B
I like Ross but they had a chance to grab a hard to find LT in Staley who is higher rated (15)

21. Jacksonville- Reggie Nelson, S Florida (20)
My Pick-Nelson
Grade A
Good job addressing need. Bonus points for acquiring an extra third and sixth

22. Cleveland- Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame (29)
My Pick- Don’t Trade Up
Grade D
The Browns only needed to give up an additional third under the point chart and instead got into a bidding war giving up a first round pick next year, from a team that drafted third overall this year that could be one really valuable pick, and don’t forget in addition they also gave up the fourth overall pick in the second round this year so they gave up a high first next year to move up 14 spots in the late first/early second. Even worse I don’t rate Quinn any better then the three other QB’s that would have been available at the top of round two or the two Qb’s they already have and the price they paid was shocking (a top 12 pick next year for sure and I’m expecting a top six selection)

23. Kansas City- Dwayne Bowe, WR LSU (26)
My Pick- Staley, Grubbs
Grade C
Finally spent a first on a WR but it’s a deep WR class and there are needs on the OL and great OL on board

24. New England- Brandon Meriweather FS, Miami (28)
My Pick- Posluszny, Houston, Meacheam, Olsen, Spencer, Meriweather
Grade A
Good job addressing need

25. Carolina- Jon Beason, OLB Miami (33)
My Pick- Olsen
Grade A-
Passed on two big needs trading down and missing out on Safeties and clearly didn’t like Olsen enough even though they need a pass catching TE

26. Dallas- Anthony Spencer, DE Purdue (16)
My Pick- Spencer
Grade A+
Wheeling and dealing to perfection, great value with this pick

27. New Orleans- Robert Meachem, WR Tennessee (8)
My Pick- Meacheam
Grade A+
What a steal, without a doubt the best player available

28. San Francisco- Joe Staley, T Central Michigan (13)
My Pick- Staley
Grade A-
Like the aggressive move up to grab a value player like Staley but with eight picks in the first four rounds find a less shrewd trading partner and don’t give up your first next year (offset picking a Indy’s first later on)

29. Baltimore- Ben Grubbs, OG Auburn (21)
My Pick- Grubbs
Grade A+
Great need/value pick

30. San Diego- Craig Davis, WR LSU (70)
My Pick- Posluszny, Harris, Branch, Weddle
Grade F
Considering how much they wanted Weddle why didn’t they take him here and then address the WR with the next pick especially considering how many higher rated WR remain on the board

31. Chicago- Greg Olsen, TE Miami (27)
My Pick- Olsen
Grade A+
Great need/value pick

32. Indianapolis- Anthony Gonzalez-WR, Ohio State (37)
My Pick- Posluszny, Gonzalez
Grade A-
Already see him as an ideal fit for Manning and Colts offense

TEAM GRADES

ARIZONA B

The new Cardinals staff did a fine job addressing the team’s new needs, Branch figures to be moved to NT which suits him and can move Dockett to DE. Levi was poor value at 5 but was just what they needed. Buster is solid and Breaston and Patrick are alright
Pick i would’ve changed: None, only five picks and they were all pretty solid

ATLANTA A-

I like Anderson, I like Blalock, I like Houston and had all three with first round grades so it’s hard to knock the Falcons but I just would have liked to seen them be more aggressive in the first round with Peterson and Landry so tantalizing close. After that the Falcons made several solid pickups grabbing players that will fit in with the new system which elevated the grade.
Pick i would’ve changed: Trade #8 and #75 (Anderson and Robinson) for #6 and Adrian Peterson.

BALTIMORE B+

The Ravens should be given credit for acquiring McGahee for a reasonable amount of draft picks. Grubbs is a great pick. Looks like Yanda will be asked to play RT sooner or later which is a little dicey but would be a nice pick if he can excel there otherwise you’ve drafted two guards day one. The Ravens had a very solid day two
Pick i would’ve changed: Stewart Bradley in the third

BUFFALO B-

The Bills did well to get a RB in the first, although I’d rather have McGahee then Lynch, but things got interesting with the second round trade up for Posluszny. Certainly LB was always going to be in the cards early for the Bills but in retrospect they would have been better served waiting for MLB David Harris. Edwards is a great value pick but the Bills didn’t pick for needs at WR or CB despite strong classes at both positions, the steep price paid to grab Posluszny didn’t help
Pick i would’ve changed: Wait for Posluszny or Harris to be selected and then trade up for the other, preferable Harris, and grab a CB or WR with the third traded away

CAROLINA B+

The Panthers traded down passing on the top Safeties and then passed on the pass catching TE they appear to need. They did end up with four solid picks in the first three rounds all from big time schools
Pick i would’ve changed: They drafted two WR’s over other needs so they could have gone another direction in the fourth but Robinson is a nice SSmith compliment to Jarrett’s Keyshawn

CINCINNATI C

The Bengals did well to address the CB position in round one. Even though I like Irons there wasn’t enough value taking him in the second considering the anti-need.
Pick i would’ve changed: Pass on Irons in the second for defense, someone like DT Turk McBride

CHICAGO B+

Did well to have Olsen fall into their lap, got a lot in the trade down. Not crazy about Bazuin or his need/value in the second but he is a good fit. Wolfe, Beekman, and Okwo are nice picks.
Pick i would’ve changed: Quincy Black over Bazuin

CLEVELAND C+

I don’t have a problem taking Thomas in the first but I preferred Peterson, they grossly over paid Quinn who is not a top ten prospect and will live to regret giving up what will become a high first. They did well to address the CB after the first round but had to trade up again and only had six picks this year to go along with not having a first round pick next year
Pick i would’ve changed: Stay at 36 and take Wright, would have saved them two trade ups and a ton of picks

DALLAS A

After trading down and up in round one the Cowboys got their man in Spencer and ended up getting the Browns number one next year for only a third and fifth which is outstanding wheeling and dealing by Jerry Jones, I like both Tackles they picked as well
Pick i would’ve changed: In the early fourth CB or WR over Stanback, someone like Fred Bennett

DENVER C

Over paid to move up four spots for a player they could have grabbed at 21 especially with the similar and preferred Spencer still on board. Crowder is ok, Harris is only so-so. Thomas comes with upside and one big red flag
Pick i would’ve changed: Move up to 10 and take Okoye, or even better stay at 21 and take Spencer

DETROIT A

WR wasn’t a need for the Lions but Johnson was far superior to any need options. I was very high on Stanton pre-draft and going to the Lions with those great WR’s and coach mike martz I really like this kid chances to be a winning QB in this league for a long time. They traded down a still got him, they traded up to get a promising DE in Alama-Francis which I liked, loved the first three picks, after that so-so
Pick i would’ve changed: With teams needing a QB having already grabbed one go David Harris at 43, then grab Francis and Stanton (not Alexander) with the two trade ups

HOUSTON B-

Okoye was a nice pick in the first round, got to three good developmental players in Jones and Frye and Bennett. The Texans did a good job addressing needs but will have to be patient with this draft class, not too much immediate help (especially on offense)
Pick i would’ve changed: WR, and one that can start from day one, should have been more of a priority

GREEN BAY B+

Harrell is a solid player but wasn’t great value, did very well in the second trading down and getting a player I had my eye on in RB Jackson who is a great fit. The Packers did very well day two with WR Clowney highlighting the group
Pick i would’ve changed: Would have been better to flip flop WR and DT going Meachem round one and Alford, Tank, or Pitcock round three

INDIANPOLIS C+

Gonzalez is a great fit, Ugoh isn’t worth trading up for, two very solid third round picks who should fit in very well. Day two really drafted toward outstanding workouts, Hall stands out the most. Graded down for giving up next years number one
Pick i would’ve changed: Stay at 126 not giving up next years #1 and grab an OL there, someone like Josh Beekman or OT Fyre or Bender

KANSAS CITY C+

I like Bowe, the two day one DT’s are good compliments to each other. Where is the help for the OL?
Pick i would’ve changed: Joe Staley in the first over Bowe grabbing a WR like Clowney in the fifth

JACKSONVILLE B+

I really like the Jags first three picks, day two so-so
Pick i would’ve changed: I would have liked the Jags to get a pass rushing DE like Atkins with one of their two fourths

MIAMI C

The long relationship between Cameron and the Ginn family clouded his judgment here. I like Beck, I really like Soliai
Pick i would’ve changed: Meachem over Ginn

MINNESOTA A+

The Vikings got two of my favorite players in the draft in Peterson and Rice and one of my least favorite in McCauley. Very strong day two, Allison may be more miss then hit but worth a fifth, Robinson and Alexander in particular were great value picks
Pick i would’ve changed: Any CB over McCauley

NEW ORLEANS A

Love that they went with the value in the first and WR was an underrated need for this team, I flat out love Meacheam. Small schoolers Young and Bushrod are promising, Alleman too, Pittman good value
Pick i would’ve changed: Would have liked to seen them get a DT at some point but overall pretty good

NEW ENGLAND A

The Patriots didn’t think much of this draft class trading away a second pre-draft and then trading out of the first and third round this year for the same round picks a year from now (getting only fair value). Two good picks in the Miami kids, grabbed a lot of Patriots type players with their eight day two picks
Pick i would’ve changed: Not much to change with only one day one selection and good picks all around

NEW YORK C+

I like Ross a lot and that was a need but so was LT and those are harder to find. SSmith is alright, Alford solid but no help at OL and LB. DeOssie and Koets are not the answer.
Pick i would’ve changed: Staley over Ross in the first

NY JETS A

Despite leaving themselves with only a first, second, sixth, and seventh I love what the Jets did in the draft trading up twice for two very solid players that fit in very well and fill big needs. Two pretty good late rounders too
Pick i would’ve changed:

OAKLAND B

Had to go Russell in first, Miller is alright, not impressed by Moses, Henderson and Higgins ok. Bush worth the roll of the dice at the top of day two. Richardson best of day two rest
Pick i would’ve changed: Instead of Moses take his Bulldog teammate Johnson

PITTSBURGH B-

Really like Timmons and he is a great fit, Woodley a nice fit/pick to. The rest so-so, I would have liked CB to be addressed earlier
Pick i would’ve changed: Tarell Brown in fourth

PHILADELPHIA C-
Must have really wanted to trade out of the first round to deal with the Cowboys. With the Patriots and Panthers picking ahead of them they had to know Meriweather wasn’t going to last till 26 so I would have like to seen them jump ahead a few spots with KC. The Kolb selection was very surprising. Bradley was a nice pick, Gaddis a good developmental pick
Pick i would’ve changed: Trade up for Meriweather, plan B stay at 26 and take Spencer for yourself. He’d be far more reliable then Abiamiri

SAN FRANCISCO A

The 49ers did well to have Willis last till eleven, Staley was a great pick up, they offset giving up their first by acquiring the Colts first. Hill is hit or miss, lean toward miss, McDonald can contribute, Moore is good pick. Good day two picks, Brown has some small red flags but could be a very good #2 CB. Bonus points for getting DJax during draft
Pick i would’ve changed: A different WR in the third, Hill reminds me too much of former 9er Brandon Lloyd in that he’s good for two or three highlight catches a year but not much else

SAN DIEGO C

In a WR deep draft class Davis ranked toward the end of round two, then the Chargers traded back up into the early second for Weddle giving up four picks. I’d rather seen them take Weddle in the first and then grab a WR in the second. The rest of the draft was ok, between Waters and Siler they should have got one good LB. Graded down for giving up ’08 third
Pick i would’ve changed: Don’t trade up, take Weddle at 30 and grab a WR at 62 where you would still have the option of trading into the less expensive middle of round two

SEATTLE B+

The Seahawks had one solid pick after another, really helped the DL vs the run with Mebane and vs the pass with Atkins. Went power conferences the whole draft and came away with a lot of solid experienced players
Pick i would’ve changed: I still don’t understand how they handle the WR position, they over paid for Bureson big time, then traded away a premium first for Branch, then sent productive Jackson who still is in the prime of his career to a division rival for a discount price

ST. LOUIS B

Carriker really address a need. Leonard, Wade and Fry are nice picks, Shackleford is a good developmental pick, did a good job drafting for needs
Pick i would’ve changed: Leonard is a nice luxury pick but I’d rather seen it used for a DT like McBride or a CB like Wright

TAMPA BAY A-

Adams is a great fit in the Tampa two, did well to address the OL with Sears in the second. Piscitelli could be a solid SS, love the Black pick. Instead of trading away their picks for CJ the Bucs stayed at four and were able to address critical needs at DL and OL and added three solid DB’s and good WLB
Pick i would’ve changed: Would have offered 4, 35 and disgruntled Brian Kelly for Calvin Johnson

TENNESSEE C-

I like Griffin a lot but I don’t like the pick with Meacheam still on the board. Henry was a terrible pick, another young underachieving RB. He’s very hit or miss but I do like the Williams pick in the third. They drafted two other WR’s who are similar to each other and more in the third or fourth mix on the depth chart so even though they drafted three WR’s combined they still don’t match up to just taking Meacheam in the first. Good day two picks with Harris, Johnson, Smith and Ford but they don’t offset the poor day one and failure to address needs at DE and CB, the poor attempt to address WR, and the terrible attempt to bring in another RB
Pick i would’ve changed: Meachem over Griffin in first and forget Henry in the second and take CB Wilson (Wright too character risky) or WR SSmith or DE Crowder.

WASHINGTON B-

Landry wasn’t a good pick in terms of need but was a good pick in term of value, same with Blades in the sixth. The Redskins only had five picks coming into the draft and need to parlay the sixth overall into multiple selections and address the DL, they did neither
Pick i would’ve changed: Take DL with the second pick (round five), someone like Derek Landri

Best Drafts
1. Minnesota A+
2. San Francisco A
3. Detroit A
4. New Orleans A
5. New England A
6. Dallas A
7. NY Jets A
8. Atlanta A-
9. Tampa A-
10. Chicago B+
11. Carolina B+
12. Seattle B+
13. Baltimore B+
14. Green Bay B+
15. Jacksonville B+
16. Arizona B
17. St. Louis B
18. Oakland B
19. Houston B-
20. Buffalo B-
21. Pittsburgh B-
22. Washington B-
23. Cleveland C+
24. New York C+
25. Indianapolis C+
26. Kansas City C+
27. Miami C
28. Denver C
29. San Diego C
30. Cincinnati C
31. Philadelphia C-
32. Tennessee C-

Best picks (Judge by any combination of these criteria Needs, Value, Ranking, Fit)

1. Minnesota Peterson, Adrian RB Oklahoma
2. Detroit Stanton, Drew QB Michigan State
3. New Orleans Meachem, Robert WR Tennessee
4. San Francisco Willis, Patrick ILB Mississippi
5. Minnesota Rice, Sidney WR South Carolina
6. Atlanta Houston, Chris CB Arkansas
7. Green Bay Jackson, Brandon RB Nebraska
8. Dallas Spencer, Anthony DE Purdue
9. Baltimore Grubbs, Ben G Auburn
10. Chicago Olsen, Greg TE Miami (Fla.)
11. N.Y. Jets Harris, David ILB Michigan
12. Atlanta Blalock, Justin OT Texas
13. San Francisco Staley, Joe OT Central Michigan
14. Miami Soliai, Paul DT Utah
15. Minnesota Alexander, Rufus OLB Oklahoma
16. Indianapolis Hughes, Daymeion CB California
17. Tampa Bay Black, Quincy OLB New Mexico
18. Green Bay Clowney, David WR Virginia Tech
19. Jacksonville Walker, Mike WR Central Florida
20. Detroit Johnson, Calvin WR Georgia Tech
21. New England Meriweather, Brandon FS Miami (Fla.)
22. San Francisco Brown, Tarell CB Texas
23. Oakland Bush, Michael RB Louisville
24. Buffalo Edwards, Trent QB Stanford
25. Dallas Free, Doug OT Northern Illinois
26. New Orleans Young, Usama CB Kent State
27. Tennessee Ford, Jacob DE Central Arkansas
28. NY Jets Bender, Jacob OT Nicholls State
29. Carolina Johnson, Charles DE Georgia
30. Chicago Wolfe, Garrett RB Northern Illinois
31. Baltimore McClain, Le'Ron FB Alabama
32. Philadelphia Bradley, Stewart OLB Nebraska
33. Cincinnati Santucci, Dan OG Notre Dame
34. NY Jets Stuckey, Chansi WR Clemson
35. San Diego Siler, Brandon ILB Florida

Worst picks

1. Tennessee Henry, Chris RB Arizona
2. Miami Ginn Jr., Ted WR Ohio State
3. Philadelphia Kolb, Kevin QB Houston
4. San Diego Davis, Craig WR Louisiana State
5. Cleveland Quinn, Brady QB Notre Dame
6. Tennessee Griffin, Michael FS Texas
7. Indianapolis Ugoh, Tony G Arkansas
8. Kansas City Bowe, Dwayne WR Louisiana State
9. Denver Moss, Jarvis DE Florida
10. Cincinnati Irons, Kenny RB Auburn
11. Oakland Moses, Quentin DE Georgia

Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
PITTSBURGH B-

Really like Timmons and he is a great fit, Woodley a nice fit/pick to. The rest so-so, I would have liked CB to be addressed earlier
Pick i would’ve changed: Tarell Brown in fourth

pretty solid analysis, although the 4th round Punter, Sepulveda, was a huge need, and the dude has a ton of leg. I'm actually pretty excited about how much he will help the kicking game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
pretty solid analysis, although the 4th round Punter, Sepulveda, was a huge need, and the dude has a ton of leg. I'm actually pretty excited about how much he will help the kicking game.

Good article and great picture in the PG today about Sepulveda.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07122/782646-66.stm

Dude does not look like a punter...move him back to LB.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Oh, no... now that the Steelers have drafted this punter, I won't get to hear "Chris Gardocki has never had a punt blocked" 16 times next season.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Dolphin's Front Office = Clueless
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why exactly would the Falcons pick AP? Even if Dunn is on his last legs, Norwood looks like potentially a pretty good RB. Far greater needs on the OL and defense.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Good article and great picture in the PG today about Sepulveda.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07122/782646-66.stm

Dude does not look like a punter...move him back to LB.

That's awesome.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Oh, no... now that the Steelers have drafted this punter, I won't get to hear "Chris Gardocki has never had a punt blocked" 16 times next season.

Haha, every time they said that I was expecting it to get blocked. I hate when announcers jinx people like that!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think the Irons pick for the Bengals was pretty good and I certainly don't think they had the third worst draft. It seems likely that Perry is done for after his severe break and dislocation. That means the Bengals don't have anyone besides Kenny Watson after Rudi. Not only do they need a change of pace back, but they need insurance in case Rudi goes down. Kenny Watson simply can't carry the ball 20-25 times a game. Add to this that Rudi averaged under four ypc and he couldn't break anything over twenty yards and the need is clear.

I give Cincy a solid B. No spectacular picks, but no reaches either. They got a good collection of high character, high motor players.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm warming up to the Packers style now under Ted Thompson. In the past two drafts (05-06), GB has had 23 picks. Out of those, 6 are current starters and 8 are depth guys. GB had 11 picks this season and it looks like 4-5 could be starters and another 4-5 could be depth improvements.

The drafts aren't very sexy (ie, no big names usually), but this process has taken GB from the depths of dispair (4-12 in 05 with little talent) to a team on the rise (8-8 in 06 and the youngest team in football).

From this draft, I expect DT Harrell, RB Jackson, SS Rouse and one of the WRs (Clowney, Jones) to make an impact on offense/defense. The underrated aspect is that they added 5 guys (Rouse, Jones, Clowney, Hall, Bishop) who were known as very good ST coverage guys in college. Add in the best kicker in the draft and GB's main weakness in 06 (ST) could start looking better.

Last edited by Arles : 05-02-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The underrated aspect is that they added 5 guys (Rouse, Jones, Clowney, Hall, Bishop) who were known as very good ST coverage guys in college. .

I don't know how well Bishop will translate to the pros, but he was a very solid LB in college, great heart and great motor. I would think solid backup linebacker/st guy at worst.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

As a Titans fan I agree a terrible draft c- is kind. It is possible no one except the first pick ever gets a starting job in Tennessee and most will be gone by beginning of 09-10 season with no production.IMHO. I am thinking 6-10 at best without Pacman and fisher and most of his staff get canned with Chow the OC former USC OC taking over after 07.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
Pyser
Pro Rookie

nice writeup. good read.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #14
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Why exactly would the Falcons pick AP? Even if Dunn is on his last legs, Norwood looks like potentially a pretty good RB. Far greater needs on the OL and defense.

i have a lot of respect for Dunn but he's now 32 and every year he tails of at the end of the season. Norwood is a nice back but never carried over 200 times in college and is listed weight is dangerously close to the mendoza line

and it's a new coaching staff, Petrino is trying to get bigger on both sides of the ball so Peterson would be a great fit as a power back with the speed to play on the turf as well, Peterson is a special back

(edit) yeah they have needs on the DL/OL but the Falcons had two early seconds to address that, Blalock was a great pick.

i forget where i read this but no one even called the redskins while they were on the clock, teams have become too afaird of moving up in the top ten

Last edited by Dunleavy : 05-03-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #15
Arles
Grey Dog Software

You have to be careful with that collarbone though on a player who takes a lot of contact. Ask Charles Rodgers about it. He's a bigtime risk for this season (although I think he will eventually be a good RB).
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Interesting that the Stanton pick is one you would have changed (somewhat) but rates as the 2nd best pick overall.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
i have a lot of respect for Dunn but he's now 32 and every year he tails of at the end of the season. Norwood is a nice back but never carried over 200 times in college and is listed weight is dangerously close to the mendoza line

and it's a new coaching staff, Petrino is trying to get bigger on both sides of the ball so Peterson would be a great fit as a power back with the speed to play on the turf as well, Peterson is a special back

(edit) yeah they have needs on the DL/OL but the Falcons had two early seconds to address that, Blalock was a great pick.

i forget where i read this but no one even called the redskins while they were on the clock, teams have become too afaird of moving up in the top ten

It's not just DL/OL. It's also in the secondary. Realistically, the top 3 Falcons picks were ALL need picks. They needed a DE to replace Kerney. They needed an OL (moving away from zone blocking) and they needed secondary help (Houston allows making Williams into a safety, which was perhaps the biggest Falcons weakness).

RB was really just a luxury. AP could be an all time great back, but, as said, injured collarbone is a concern. There were big time needs for the Falcons and RB just wasn't on the list.

It would have been a mistake to go after RB when there were so many holes on defense. Anderson and Houston are going directly into the starting role going into training camp (so is Blalock for that matter).
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #18
PraetorianX
High School JV

I think you're being a little harsh on the Colts Ugoh pick. That pick is for the future, let him learn under Glenn for a year then next year Glenn walks in free agency, and we have money to keep Sander and Freeney instead of having to let at least one of them go...and maybe even keep Clark too if we can find the cash.

And Howard Mudd (Colts O-Line coach) is one of the best in the business...so I'm sure under his guidance Ugoh will become a very good LT for the Colts.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #19
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Interesting that the Stanton pick is one you would have changed (somewhat) but rates as the 2nd best pick overall.

that was more a could've rather then a should've, MLB is a need for the Lions and Harris is very solid, and good enough in coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's not just DL/OL. It's also in the secondary. Realistically, the top 3 Falcons picks were ALL need picks. They needed a DE to replace Kerney. They needed an OL (moving away from zone blocking) and they needed secondary help (Houston allows making Williams into a safety, which was perhaps the biggest Falcons weakness).

RB was really just a luxury. AP could be an all time great back, but, as said, injured collarbone is a concern. There were big time needs for the Falcons and RB just wasn't on the list.

It would have been a mistake to go after RB when there were so many holes on defense. Anderson and Houston are going directly into the starting role going into training camp (so is Blalock for that matter).
Rome wasn't built in a day. If you limit yourself to drafting for needs you'll miss out of on a lot of great opportunities, Peterson is three or four times the prospect of Anderson,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
I think you're being a little harsh on the Colts Ugoh pick. That pick is for the future, let him learn under Glenn for a year then next year Glenn walks in free agency, and we have money to keep Sander and Freeney instead of having to let at least one of them go...and maybe even keep Clark too if we can find the cash.

And Howard Mudd (Colts O-Line coach) is one of the best in the business...so I'm sure under his guidance Ugoh will become a very good LT for the Colts.

iirc the Colts have 3 OL in contract years so i get why they moved up but he only showed up for one spring pratice at Arkansas and for a guy with a long way to go that sort of commitment is concerning. plus he's no LT, ideally he's most suited to play LT but he won't be able to cut it there in the NFL
Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I dunno, using a top 10 pick for a back that wouldn't be the best RB on the team is not a good move. Of course, neither is having your best RB be your QB...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #21
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

The Drew Stanton pick would make me nervous after watching Mike Mayock's piece on him during the draft. That had to be the uglies pro day workout I have ever seen. The ball floated, wobbled and missed it's mark on nearly every throw. I thought he might have a lot of upside until watching that video, but now have my doubts, although I have only seen him play a few times.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #22
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm very leery of a QB who seemed to blow up in every big game he played.