Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #101
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Bengals are who we thought they were! Convicts!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #102
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...dolphins-front

According to this article, draft weekend went pretty much step-for-step as planned by Cameron. Included is a tidbit that Houston was set to take Ginn with the next pick, making a trade down impossible.

Still... Beck instead of Quinn I like, but I would much rather have had Amobi Okoye or Patrick Willis with that #9 pick.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #103
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

HaHa. That article's hilarious. Of course, their "secret" plan worked. Because they totally overvalued both players. There's a reason they were both there for their picks. It wasn't luck or good strategy, believe me.

This quote is the best: "I know for a fact two teams were ready to take [Ginn] if we passed," including Houston at #10. Yeah sure. And they fell for it - morons.

Anyways, passing on Quinn I don't believe was that big a mistake. If you don't like the guy, that's fine. But taking Ginn where they did was the boneheaded pick. Sorry, Mueller (likes to pat himself on the back) Ginn wasn't going 10, or 11, or 12, or 13, or 14 . . .

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 05-02-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:01 AM   #104
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Dolphins released Marcus Vick, so you've got that going for you.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:24 AM   #105
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
How the hell did you know I had a free subscription with The Sporting News?

*cue strange music*

Everyone who has a subscription to The Sporting News has a free subscription to The Sporting News.

My cat has been getting them for 3 years now. Even started getting Blender and FHM sent to him, which irritated him greatly.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:38 AM   #106
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
HaHa. That article's hilarious. Of course, their "secret" plan worked. Because they totally overvalued both players. There's a reason they were both there for their picks. It wasn't luck or good strategy, believe me.

This quote is the best: "I know for a fact two teams were ready to take [Ginn] if we passed," including Houston at #10. Yeah sure. And they fell for it - morons.

Anyways, passing on Quinn I don't believe was that big a mistake. If you don't like the guy, that's fine. But taking Ginn where they did was the boneheaded pick. Sorry, Mueller (likes to pat himself on the back) Ginn wasn't going 10, or 11, or 12, or 13, or 14 . . .

I watched the highlights of the 1st round on our recap programme, and the guy reporting on possible trades, etc at the time of the Houston pick reported that the Texans were planning on Ginn, and as he was no longer available were exploring trade options. So I don't think it's completely fair to say this is pure revisionism.

However, as for whether it's a godd/bad/indifferent move I have no idea, knowing nothing about Ginn other than he broke his ankle celebrating a TD in the Bowl game - this leads me to suspect he might be half decent but not all that bright.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #107
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
How the hell did you know I had a free subscription with The Sporting News?

*cue strange music*

I'd be shocked if anyone pays for that rag.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #108
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post

knowing nothing about Ginn other than he broke his ankle celebrating a TD in the Bowl game

That was such an enjoyable outcome until the Fins decided to draft him...
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #109
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'd be shocked if anyone pays for that rag.

I get it free because I subscribe to their Fantasy Source service (which I think is pretty decent) for the FF season. As a mag, it works out well for me each week as reading material for those times on the plane (takeoff & landing) when I can't use electronics.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #110
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Briggs View Post
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...dolphins-front

According to this article, draft weekend went pretty much step-for-step as planned by Cameron. Included is a tidbit that Houston was set to take Ginn with the next pick, making a trade down impossible.

I have completely reversed course now.

On draft day, I was shocked and appalled when they picked Ginn, and joined the crowd of "you suck."

Now... it's quite clear that they simply evaluated players differently than the so-called experts, and they got exactly what they wanted. To me, that's pretty different than not knowing what they are doing. Honestly, justy because you like a certain guyy more or less than Mel Kiper or a particular scxouting service doesn't mean that you're an idiot by itself. It might work out that way, but the consensus pick is not always the best pick.

So, I'm officially shifting from anger to accountability. These two guys now define the new brass. I'll move into wait-and-see mode.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #111
Kodos
Resident Alien

Stop being mature! They suck!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #112
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Stop being mature! They suck!!!!

Kill them all!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #113
SFL Cat
College Starter

Not saying they should have picked Quinn, but Ginn at #9 was a stretch. With his injury, it's doubtful he'll be able to participate in any summer workouts. Yes, he could pay dividends in the return game, but the #9 pick should be more than a kick returner who MIGHT play some receiver.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #114
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My quick response to QS' post is that liking a guy and overpaying for him are two different things. I don't have an issue with the QB situation. But it seems like they're paying Ginn more than they would have had to. Maybe the Houston rumor is true, or maybe Houston put that out there to get Miami to take a guy they didn't want anyway to ensure that whoever they wanted would definitely be there. Maybe we'll never know. But the consensus is that Ginn at #9, injury or no injury, was too much to pay for him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #115
QuikSand
lolzcat

I dunno.. for the "false leak" to make any sense from Houston, they would have had to know that Miami was *not* going to take the guy that all the experts said they would take with that pick (Quinn), have been worried about them taking the exact one other guy that they really wanted (Okoye), and have known that Miami was vulnerable to anxiety about the guy they purportedly wanted all along (Ginn). I find that pretty hard to fathom as the true explanation, rather than the simplest one -- that they really wanted Ginn.

As I understand it, there are multiple sources saying (after the draft) that HOU was targeting Ginn. Hard to see what they would have to gain by continuing to leak the informaiton after the draft.

Anyway... if we learned anything from HOU last year, it's that the subtleties of maximizing draft day value are not their strong suit. (Though I guess they do have a new regime in there now)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #116
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
As I understand it, there are multiple sources saying (after the draft) that HOU was targeting Ginn. Hard to see what they would have to gain by continuing to leak the informaiton after the draft.

They would do it to add credibility to future leaks in other drafts. I mean they are not going to say "oh, we just said we were interested in Ginn as a bluff." If in fact, as it appears, the leak actually caused the Fins to jump early, Houston did a masterful job of it. Also, don't forget the leak would not just be meant for the Fins, but everyone before them, including Atlanta (who is clearly in need of WR help).
Old 05-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #117
Ksyrup

Quote:
They would do it to add credibility to future leaks in other drafts. I mean they are not going to say "oh, we just said we were interested in Ginn as a bluff." If in fact, as it appears, the leak actually caused the Fins to jump early, Houston did a masterful job of it. Also, don't forget the leak would not just be meant for the Fins, but everyone before them, including Atlanta (who is clearly in need of WR help).

Exactly. Just like when Minnesota played everybody in the 2003 draft when they skipped their pick, they were setting up future drafts by trying to lull teams into a false sense of security. And then WHAMMO! The next draft, they picked on time and threw everyone behind them completely off their game.

Those sly bastards.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #118
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Exactly. Just like when Minnesota played everybody in the 2003 draft when they skipped their pick, they were setting up future drafts by trying to lull teams into a false sense of security. And then WHAMMO! The next draft, they picked on time and threw everyone behind them completely off their game.

Those sly bastards.

You, my sir, are an ass.

How dare you apply humor against my attempt to protect my opinion that Ginn would not have gone for several more picks, now that news is coming out that Houston would take him 10th. While I am very adept at such maneuverings, humor can sometimes break through it quite well.

So, let me put it this way. If indeed, Houston was taking Ginn 10th, then both Miami AND Houston are morons (although we already know that about Houston).
Old 05-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #119
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Those sly bastards.

At least that caused the 2003 draft to move at a quickened pace. This past year was slower than mollases.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #120
Ksyrup

Quote:
So, let me put it this way. If indeed, Houston was taking Ginn 10th, then both Miami AND Houston are morons (although we already know that about Houston).

I agree. I wasn't really trying to discount your theory as much as I saw the reference to doing something in one draft to set up something in a future draft, and for some reason, the Vikings came to mind and the idea for that post was born.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #121
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

I am sorry but if your team is comparing its draft strategy to Houston, then that should be the first sign there might be a problem. Whenever you are competing with Houston for a player in the draft, you should honestly reevaluate your draft board.

Besides, honestly if Houston had drafted Ginn for the 10th pick in the draft, combined with what happened last year, the riots in Houston would still be going on.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote