Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #51
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Thought it might be a bit she did for the Juno's (Canuck Music Awards) that were held last night...but, that doesn't appear to be the situation. She hosted the Juno's a couple of years ago and it was here in Edmonton. My wife and I attended the show and she did several bits that were pretty funny...that's why I thought it might be related.

A little history here...we went to the same elementary school together, we, along with another dozen or so kids, also used to spend one day a week at another school in a Program for Advanced Learners...yeah, I had potential when I was a kid...whoops!!! Call me sentimental, but I always kept track of her in the news just because I do have fond memories from my childhood that she and her family are a part of. Anyway, this doesn't surprise me at all considering that she used to goof off just as much as any kid did and would do anything for a laugh. In fact, before she made it big in music she was on a TV show called You Can't Do That On Television that was a teen version of Laugh In or SCTV...it was pretty funny in the eyes of most pre-pubescent teens. But, we haven't really seen the silly side of her since she's been on this spiritual kick over the last 10 years...maybe this is a return to her "old" self...who knows.

I think that she is a smart entertainer who is willing to change and adapt for what the public seems to want. She was on YCDTOT* and sung bubblegum pop when that looked like it would work. Then she went edgy and "kinda crazy" with Jagged Little Pill. Then she did that acoustic thing with Starbucks. Now she's doing a parody song, kind of playing off of her "kinda crazy" image while injecting some humor into it.

I have no idea who she really is, but I have a feeling that for enough money, she will be whoever I want her to be. I have no problem with that--I think, as I said above, that it makes her smart. But it also makes it hard for me to think that I can have a sense of anything like her true self.

*What do you think was in those burgers, anyway?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
For the record, YCDTOT would still be funny today.

QFT
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have no idea who she really is, but I have a feeling that for enough money, she will be whoever I want her to be. I have no problem with that--I think, as I said above, that it makes her smart. But it also makes it hard for me to think that I can have a sense of anything like her true self.

I'm not sure that put in the same situation and a particular set of circumstances that most people wouldn't be that way. Hell, a lot of us do it now for a lot less money. And it has no bearing on who we are or what those in our inner circles think of us. We just do what we gotta do.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #54
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You Can't Do That On TV was on Nickelodeon for years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #55
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You Can't Do That On TV was on Nickelodeon for years.

Yeah, and i think it was a pretty big part of the beginning of Nickelodeon. Think of how important "slime" has been to Nickelodeon over the years. There is little doubt about where it originated from.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #56
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm thinking that show is about the only reason I'd ever heard of Nickelodeon, until they switched to that Nick at Nite programming.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #57
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Yeah, and i think it was a pretty big part of the beginning of Nickelodeon. Think of how important "slime" has been to Nickelodeon over the years. There is little doubt about where it originated from.

Yes indeedy. I saw it on Nickelodeon as a kid. One of my friends was over yesterday and we were marveling at how there are like 5 different nick channels now including old ones that show syndicated shows that are just reruns of their game shows. I'm like "wow, what must those kids be thinking now?"