Hall Of Famer

(SOCCER) A Goal and a Keeper from the Goal Keeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQkA1YIadA

*snerks* Watford's goin dowwwwwnnnnn

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Worst nightmare for a keeper. I am not sure which one is more embarrassing, Robinson's goal or the one he gave up for England.

Looked like the Watford keeper wanted to cry, but you just can not make mistakes like that.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I loved it because I thought Tottenham could still find a way to screw up that game before that goal went in. A nice win while putting out what was a distinct "B" team.

Add in the awful goal line decision in the West Ham game and you had a few of the more interesting goals in the Premiership this season.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 AM   #4
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Add in the awful goal line decision in the West Ham game and you had a few of the more interesting goals in the Premiership this season.
In West Hams defense they've had some awful decisions against them and some amazingly bad luck this season - they were due something going their way ....

(oh yeah I should admit I'm a huge Bobby Zamora fan at this point really )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
PraetorianX
High School JV

Hey, looks like we (Spurs) have found a new set piece taker!

Can't be worse than the rest of that lot.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Critch
lolzcat

One of the games on Setanta last midweek had a goal from a goalkeeper too, you don't see one for a long while then there's two in a few days.

Sevilla goalkeeper Palop scored an equalizer deep in injury time v Shaktar in the UEFA Cup on Thursday, forcing the tie to extra time. Palop's goal was a header from a corner, so a bit more intentional than Robinson's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxi9S4AoC3k
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
In West Hams defense they've had some awful decisions against them and some amazingly bad luck this season - they were due something going their way ....

dola

They certainly made up for it against Blackburn. The first half disallowed goal when Flapper Green fell over, the goal that didn't cross the line, and the last minute sending off were all bad decisions by Howard Webb. He's not fit to referee.

I thought the penalty was fair enough though, despite Mark Hughes bitching and moaning after the game.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Please keep in mind Robinson also had this happen this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpTvg2-Mz-M

Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

And a 3rd crazy moment this weekend was when Jens Lehmann simply tackled Andy Johnson en route to the ball. I still have no idea how Johnson didn't earn a penalty there.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
And a 3rd crazy moment this weekend was when Jens Lehmann simply tackled Andy Johnson en route to the ball. I still have no idea how Johnson didn't earn a penalty there.

That's what I thought as well, but the commentators kept on going on about Lehmann getting a hand on the ball. He only got a hand on the ball because he had the other hand rapped round Johnson and was pulling him back.

Still if the ref had given a penalty he'd have had to send off Lehmann and probably would have ruined the game, and at least the right team won in the end.

(And I do realize the line about having a "hand rapped round Johnson" sounds pretty bad )
Old 03-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
That's what I thought as well, but the commentators kept on going on about Lehmann getting a hand on the ball. He only got a hand on the ball because he had the other hand rapped round Johnson and was pulling him back.

Still if the ref had given a penalty he'd have had to send off Lehmann and probably would have ruined the game, and at least the right team won in the end.

(And I do realize the line about having a "hand rapped round Johnson" sounds pretty bad )

Yeah, he only got a hand on it because he had driven straight through Johnson... I was totally astounded when they didn't award a penalty.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

That goal is down to the defender for not just heading that ball away unless Watson called for it. I haven't seen any articles stating if Watson called the defender off or not but it seems the defender should have just headed the ball away.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I tell the goalkeepers that I train to never let the ball bounce. Foster was in poor position there. If he was not going to make the catch (and in this situation, he probably should not have) he should have retreated to his goal line and came forward, similar to a pop fly in baseball.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
That goal is down to the defender for not just heading that ball away unless Watson called for it. I haven't seen any articles stating if Watson called the defender off or not but it seems the defender should have just headed the ball away.

I believe Watson himself did state he called the defender off it.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #15
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Yeah, he only got a hand on it because he had driven straight through Johnson... I was totally astounded when they didn't award a penalty.

and red-carded Lehmann..
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Foster is just getting these mistakes out of his system before he comes back to Man United to be van der Sar's long-term replacement.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Finishing: 20
Long Shots: 20
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
and red-carded Lehmann..

Lehmann is a total douche in my opinion. I loved it when that kid flew into him later spikes first on a totally unncessary challenge. Anything to mess with that guy makes me happy.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:30 AM   #19
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
One of the games on Setanta last midweek had a goal from a goalkeeper too, you don't see one for a long while then there's two in a few days.

Sevilla goalkeeper Palop scored an equalizer deep in injury time v Shaktar in the UEFA Cup on Thursday, forcing the tie to extra time. Palop's goal was a header from a corner, so a bit more intentional than Robinson's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxi9S4AoC3k

Even I'm not "sevillista" I screamed this goal like one of the Real Madrid. Big goal in a big moment
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #20
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post

Followup on this, I saw an interview with Foster and he took all the blame. He said he called his defender (Shittu) off it late, then it just took the bounce it did and he was obviously out of position for it. So it was 100% him. Whoops!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #21
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Watford is my town and my club down down down
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #22
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post

On the brightside uncle Duffy they haven't over-spent this season by any stretch of the imagination so you should be in good stead for a push to go back up next year ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
On the brightside uncle Duffy they haven't over-spent this season by any stretch of the imagination so you should be in good stead for a push to go back up next year ....

Hey, and if you find a way to get past Manchester United that probably means you can play some European football from the Championship.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #24
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I believe Watson himself did state he called the defender off it.

Then I take it back. The keeper pooched it
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #25
Marc Duffy
SI Games

I think if you look at who we signed in the January window, you'll see we signalled our intentions for the season.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #26
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

I think it was Bradford that frequently used the cheer "We'd rather be winning in the Championship," which was then amended to "We'd rather be losing in the Premiership."

Boothroyd seems competent enough. Hope they spend of that transfer money on guys who don't suck next season.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Lehmann is a total douche in my opinion. I loved it when that kid flew into him later spikes first on a totally unncessary challenge. Anything to mess with that guy makes me happy.

strangely enough.. i agree...

didn't the kid actually get teh ball though?
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #28
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post

They're my team too after a visit from Miles Jacobsen and Riz a couple years back for EHM marketing...

Miles even sent me a Watford kit that I proudly keep hidden away...

That was an ugly effort by Foster.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #29
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
strangely enough.. i agree...

didn't the kid actually get teh ball though?

He just sent it out of bounds for a goal kick. It was a situation where there was basically nothing he could do, but he went in anyway. I liked it.