Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Barkeep49
Coordinator

TV: Poker After Dark

Is anyone watching this? Should I start TIVO'ing it? How has the lack of announcers been?

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 01-04-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

i watched last night for the firsht time and wasn't overly impressed. Most of it was Hellmuth acting, well, like Hellmuth
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

This is probably the worst poker show on at the moment. Sheek vs. Hellmuth was probably the most immature thing I've seen in poker - I thought these guys were professionals.. LoL

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

What channel is this on?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

NBC - I forgot to mention that there is one bright spot on the show: Shana Hiatt...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 01-05-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

I will start taping this, thanks.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Seemed like it was a 50/50 ratio of show to commercials.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Seemed like it was a 50/50 ratio of show to commercials.

Join the rest of the world that has DVR's. It makes TV much easier to watch and saves a ton of your time for other more important things. You won't know why you ever went without it once you get it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

Only mildly attractive?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Only mildly attractive?

yeah - that's what he said...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 01-05-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

Just now getting to watching Friday's episode (only one I've remembered to TiVo). It's interesting, certainly different than watching WSoP or WPT. But I guess that's to be expected when every hand is shown. Much slower pace, many, many more folds (guys in the neighborhood game we have going...not sure they all understand folding is a good thing most of the time). But might not be a bad show for me to observe.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really good table this week. The Mouth, Kaplan, Brunson, Grey, Buus and Negraneau. Some really good stories as well in the first (Monday) episode. I'm Tivo'ing all of them and watching the following day.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 AM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

Good stories, except the low-key announcer guy keeps talking over them like they're boring. Isn't this the whole point of NOT having announcers, in order to hear what they're saying? They could just get rid of the announcer altogether, even as low key as he is, and it wouldn't hurt the production.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #16
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
yeah - that's what he said...

You should try pokersourceonlinedotcomslashsuperstars for more information on this. Don't forget to click near the bottom after you go to her page.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 01-10-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This week looks pretty good, all past main event winners.

Chan
Mortenson
Moneymaker
Brunson
Ferguson
Gold
Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 AM   #18
Dunleavy
High School JV

nah, that one, the tues morning one was unwatchable. nothing happened one all-in and it was on first hand
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #20
Barkeep49
Coordinator

It's even closer to real poker than High Stakes since according to the producers we see about 2/3 of the hands, which is more than High Stakes, I believe. Though High Stakes remains the best poker show on TV.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

I was quite amused last week at the back and forth between Matusow and Gabe Kaplan. Also, the aside interviews from the players last week were quite amusing. Matusow is coming down a bit off my hated players list. He was actually a lot of fun last week, aside from his incessant whining about being unlucky. His complaining that he had Negreanu dead when Daniel actually had something like half the deck to help him was too much.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
nah, that one, the tues morning one was unwatchable. nothing happened one all-in and it was on first hand

I couldn't disagree more. I much prefer to watch real poker then the watered down ESPN version. The live pay per view final table was some of the best poker I have ever seen. IT gives you a real feel for just how important position, etc... is.

I must admit I do love the people who think poker is about going all in are great because I make so much money off of them.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #23
Jas_lov
College Starter

So did anyone watch this week? Poker wise it's great that they show all the hands and just poker. But entertainment wise for non poker fanatics this week was probably very boring. All of them looked like they wanted to go home and Doyle made numerous statements that it was taking too long. Maybe because it's just for 120k and Shana tries to hype that like it's a big deal but to most of them it's not. Plus the announcer gets more and more annoying with his attempts at humor. Next weeks table has a lot of promise with Hellmuth, Matusow, Andy Bloch, Tony G., Sam Farha, and Phil Ivey so entertainment and table chatter certainly won't be lacking.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
B & B
College Benchwarmer

I thought the show last night sucked, they showed way too many hands that didnt even see a flop. Im talking fold all the way down to BB who mucks and rakes. Ferguson made a questionable call for all his chips and went out then MM took what seemed like 5 minutes of 'TV air time' to decide to call his last hand. Good TV is not watching some bloke sitting there thinking and endlessly shuffling their chips (annoying) or the 5 chip tower breakdown then re-stack (possibly more annoying).
Old 01-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #26
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Hifirevival = Troll?

Lets take a closer look at your post.

1. Im not a new player.
2. Anyone in favor of new laws restricting deposits/withdrawls for poker has an agenda.
3. Anyone in favor of those same laws making it harder to play online has some agenda.
4. Anyone who wants poker to 'go down a notch' and doesnt welcome playing with 'donkeys' has no clue.
5. Last nights show was not entertaining. If youre watching from the informative/educational aspect then what do you learn watching the entire table fold down to the BB multiple times? What did you learn in the five minutes of watching MM make a decision to call Chans all-in? Hmmm, riveting stuff.

Good, solid play does not always equal good TV.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Even more proof that poker isn't what most new players want to see. I'm almost glad that it will be harder to play online with the new laws and hopefully poker will go back down a notch or two to get rid of the donkeys. We just saw a week of very good poker with 6 main event champs and it's getting panned for not being "entertaining" enough.

This is the dumbest statement in the history of FOFC
Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

NBC will be sure to have at least one or two talkers on each table from now on. Last week was good poker, but bad TV.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
NBC will be sure to have at least one or two talkers on each table from now on. Last week was good poker, but bad TV.

I disagree. I really enjoyed the last couple of episodes where the focus was the actual play rather than the talking. Really good chance to learn how to play and read people when the table is short handed. I think a good mix is a good thing.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

For a show that's on at 2:30 in the morning, you really think they can have 10 minutes go by with no talking?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
For a show that's on at 2:30 in the morning, you really think they can have 10 minutes go by with no talking?

The producer of the show in an interview that I heard the other day said that NBC estimates that 80-90% of their viewers are actually people who use DVR's to tape the show nightly and then watch it the next day. I do that and I know several friends who do the same thing, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was accurate. Very few people actually stay up to watch that show when it actually is on.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The producer of the show in an interview that I heard the other day said that NBC estimates that 80-90% of their viewers are actually people who use DVR's to tape the show nightly and then watch it the next day. I do that and I know several friends who do the same thing, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was accurate. Very few people actually stay up to watch that show when it actually is on.

Ditto for me, I am actualy about to watch last nights episode. I anjoyed last weeks show, if there was a negative it is that Brunson came off a bit whiney
Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

Well, now we can really get into a discussion of if networks can survive on shows that are mostly DVR'd since nearly everybody skips the commercials. I'll pass. But I do the same thing.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Ditto for me, I am actualy about to watch last nights episode. I anjoyed last weeks show, if there was a negative it is that Brunson came off a bit whiney

I did enjoy Brunson's story about his dog. He mentioned that if anyone sat down in his dog's seat on the couch, that the dog would turn into a German Shephard and attack. Ferguson asked how big the dog was. Brunson said it was 7 pounds......a toy poodle.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just mean in terms on complaining about the length of the tournament
Old 01-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #36
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I just mean in terms on complaining about the length of the tournament

Yeah, I understood.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #37
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, now we can really get into a discussion of if networks can survive on shows that are mostly DVR'd since nearly everybody skips the commercials. I'll pass. But I do the same thing.

I think in this case it's a) product placement (Full Tilt anyone? ) and b) general advertising for the industry. Also...what are the production costs? They must be silly cheap - the participants are putting up the prize money via a buy-in, right?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #38
Raven
College Prospect

Why the hell would Ferguson call Chan's all-in?

Ferguson said he thought Chan might have been making a move on him there, but even so, I don't see any reason to put your tournament on the line with K4o. If it was someone else, and not Ferguson, I'd think they were a complete idiot for making the call. But him being the great player that he is, I'm trying to justify it - but can't find any solid reasoning.

I believe he was the SB, and still had plenty of chips to play with if he folds there. Was anyone else stunned by his call?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #39
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
the participants are putting up the prize money via a buy-in, right?

They may, but I doubt it. The prize pool was 120k, with 6 players - right? I wouldn't think the pros would put up 20k each with a 1 in 6 shot of winning when your opponents are other pros. If it was against amateurs, it would probably be a safe bet. But the ROI just doesn't seem good enough to be a good investment against the other pros when it's winner takes all.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Why the hell would Ferguson call Chan's all-in?

Ferguson said he thought Chan might have been making a move on him there, but even so, I don't see any reason to put your tournament on the line with K4o. If it was someone else, and not Ferguson, I'd think they were a complete idiot for making the call. But him being the great player that he is, I'm trying to justify it - but can't find any solid reasoning.

I believe he was the SB, and still had plenty of chips to play with if he folds there. Was anyone else stunned by his call?

i was a little surprised
Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
They may, but I doubt it. The prize pool was 120k, with 6 players - right? I wouldn't think the pros would put up 20k each with a 1 in 6 shot of winning when your opponents are other pros. If it was against amateurs, it would probably be a safe bet. But the ROI just doesn't seem good enough to be a good investment against the other pros when it's winner takes all.

The pros are definitely putting up 20K of their own money. There's no question about. Now, you could say that they are putting up money that probably was received as payment for playing with their site decals (i.e. Full Tilt, Pokerstars, etc.) and you'd also be right. I have no doubt given the advertisements on their shirts and hats that each site ponied up the $20,000 for them to be on the show. If they didn't put all of it up, they put up a good sized portion of it.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #42
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, maybe I should have qualified "their". It's theirs through a sponsor. Well, except maybe for Jerry Buss.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

Tues. night/Wed. morning's episode cracked me up... Hellmuth touching Ivey's shirt, Ivey getting uncomfortable... Hellmuth telling him "it doesn't always have to you against the world, kid"... then Ivey saying "thanks for the speech".

The thanks for the speech line had me laughing for a couple of minutes. Haven't watched last night's episode yet, but plan to this evening.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #44
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It's more good TV.

Is it just me or does Tony G. look just like the kid from two and a half men?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #45
Fouts
College Starter

I enjoyed last week's table, and watching this week's right now. Phil Helmuth mentioned he gets an appearance fee (after being asked about it by Jennifer Harmon). Anyone know if that is actually true? I think 50k was mentioned as the fee.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #46
Barkeep49
Coordinator

If that's true, I'll be disappointed since it negates, basically, the idea that they're putting up 20k each and instead turns it into a free roll, though I guess it would make sense for how they get such good tables.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #47
Fouts
College Starter

The implication was that only Hellmuth gets the appearance fee. It could have been a joke though.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #48
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Last week there was a joke about Hellmuth getting a private jet to take him to the game. This I didn't have a problem with (despite the fact that it's likely equal to his 20k buy-in). So perhaps Phil really does get special consideration.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

About halfway into this week and the table dynamic is great. Esfandiari and Plih Laak with Harman, Hellmuth, Brunson and Seidel. Seidel is maybe the driest human being on the planet.