Old 12-06-2005, 01:58 AM   #151
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Think of the kittens.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:45 AM   #152
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

I love this rastorbator thing. For those of you that have used it before, have you tried to fasten the pictures to a wall? What is the best method?
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:26 AM   #153
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
I love this rastorbator thing. For those of you that have used it before, have you tried to fasten the pictures to a wall? What is the best method?

I just found out about it. It seems Pumpy is the resident expert since he says he has used it in the past. I don't want to try this until after my move.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #154
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth

Double-sided poster tape works well, in my experience.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #155
Antmeister
Pro Starter

For those of you who are looking for a CMS (Content management system) for managing your documents, design documents, etc, then this may be a good solution for you. It's open source and there seems to be a lot of support for it:
Plone
(Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Solaris and BSD)

If you like OpenOffice and wanted to use it on another computer, then you can always download this portable version. This allows you to carry it on an external device (such as a thumb drive, iPod, etc.). And you can then use this on any Windows machine without installing it. Nice:
Portable OpenOffice
(Windows only)

This is another PDF converter, but this one is pretty unique. You can choose how the PDF will be used (Screen, Print, EBook or Prepress and you can password protect your files as well:
PrimoPDF
(Windows only)

Here is a nice multi-player game that I came across that is real nice. It is a gun combat/hack and slash type of game that is somewhat similar to Tribes. Except that you can customize you character and buy new items as you go up in level. Very unique and it is free to play at this time. However be aware that there are peak hours and only a limited amount of servers:
GunZ The Duel: International Edition
(Windows only)

Last edited by Antmeister : 12-08-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #156
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Rename your files with ease:
Rename4u
(Windows only)

Here is a suite of application from FastStone that is free. It covers an image editor, photo resizer, screen capture and even a browser. Just choose the ones you may like to try out:
FastStone Suite
(Windows only)

This is a standalone application for the camera hobbyists that are looking for something that will get rid of that lens distortion that you see when using fish eye lenses or any other assortment of lenses that causes pin cushioning and barreling.
PTLens
(Windows and Macintosh - Macintosh users. There is a link for similar software on the site.)

Now have you ever seen this message:

If you have, this software program eliminates that problem:
Unlocker
(Windows only)
Old 12-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #157
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I can vouch for unlocker, it works great. I had a few files like that, they had been abandoned by the program that was using them, and even after a reboot they would not delete. Unlocker worked like a champ.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #158
mooreadamc
Mascot

Does anyone know of any freeware programs to create a daily/weekly/monthly schedule. Almsot like a day planner. I haven't been able to find one. I would also consider paying for one if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!
mooreadamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #159
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreadamc
Does anyone know of any freeware programs to create a daily/weekly/monthly schedule. Almsot like a day planner. I haven't been able to find one. I would also consider paying for one if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

Yes sir, go to post #124. It's called Mediabee.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #160
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Do you have a lot of black and white photos (old or new) that you wish you can colorize? Or maybe you just want to colorize portions of that image. Well try this out!:
Recolored
And if you want to see other examples of this software, here is a link:
http://www.devlobby.com/forums/showthread.php?p=599
(Windows only)
Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 PM   #161
samifan24
Pro Starter

Don't look now or blame me for thread necromancy but I came across this great list of 30 absolutely free, open source Windows programs at the Simple Dollar blog the other day and thought it'd be worthwhile to share.

I've used a couple of the programs already posted in this thread and several more from this list as well. I hope we can get this thread going again! What programs are you using?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 AM   #162
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Actually I check Ant's site weekly. He has some nice stuff, some of which I even recommended.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #163
Peregrine
Pro Starter

If anyone has been playing Battle for Wesnoth, I noticed they just came out with version 1.2 with a lot of improvements. I've just been getting into it a little bit but I think others have been playing more.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #164
Peregrine
Pro Starter

dola - Also as shareware games I have to recommend the following two, both of which I have purchased and enjoyed:

Ancient Empires Lux - Lux is a risk-variant but this version is a single player game based on various ancient empires, where there are a variety of starting positions ranging from easy to hard for each map. Good stuff, and gets really hard at the higher levels.

http://sillysoft.net/ael/

Virtual Villagers - Like a lot of indie games, the excellent site Gametunnel turned me on to this one. It's a sim game where you start with a few villagers stranded on an island, and you have to get them gathering food, building huts, researching new technologies, and breeding. What's neat is the game goes in real-time, even when you're not playing it, so if you're gone for a day, you can log in and see what's going on, make some adjustments, then check back in a few hours later, it's a great setup for casual gamers and it's fun to get your village going, there are various challenges or puzzles you have to solve also as you develop. Good stuff.

http://www.virtualvillagers.com/
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #165
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Nice I didn't know about Ancient Empires Lux.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #166
Emiliano
College Prospect

Online application that converts YouTube videos in other formats, very useful.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #167
Yellow5
High School Varsity

My new favorite media player:

GOM Player

Many built-in codecs (XviD, DivX, FLV1, AC3, OGG, MP4, H263 and more). If you have videos that require a separate codec, GOM Player will find one and direct you to a place where you can download open source version of the codec.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #168
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post

GOM Player

Many built-in codecs (XviD, DivX, FLV1, AC3, OGG, MP4, H263 and more). If you have videos that require a separate codec, GOM Player will find one and direct you to a place where you can download open source version of the codec.

Have you tried VLC?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #169
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post

GOM Player

Nice...nice...nice.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #170
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
Online application that converts YouTube videos in other formats, very useful.

YES! This kick ass!
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #171
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
YES! This kick ass!
+1

Just got a look at this one. Very cool. No software required to install.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #172
Izulde
Head Coach

http://www.virtualapple.org has a lot of old Apple IIGS and IIe games on it, playable through Internet Explorer and possibly Firefox through IE. Ironically enough, you have to have Windows.

Still, lots of awesome oldies on there, including the IIGS version of Balance of Power, which is a better version than the PC one.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #173
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
http://www.virtualapple.org has a lot of old Apple IIGS and IIe games on it, playable through Internet Explorer and possibly Firefox through IE. Ironically enough, you have to have Windows.

Still, lots of awesome oldies on there, including the IIGS version of Balance of Power, which is a better version than the PC one.

Balance of Power is HOT SHIT. i've been trying for years to find a DLable PC copy of it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #174
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Woo! Oregon Trail and Number Munchers. That's all I need

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #175
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Bloodmasters

Play with friends on your LAN or online and experience this oldschool top-down shooter. The game supports Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture The Flag and Scavenger game modes.

I set this up on our LAN this weekend and it was silly fun. Not many online servers available, but this is perfect for LAN play.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #176
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Since this thread has resurrected, I am just going to contribute here (as well as my link directory, of course):

Recuva - A file recovery utility from the makers of Crap Cleaner. If you deleted anything from the recycle bin or even memory cards, there is a chance you can recover it with this utility.

Web Desinger/Developer Add-Ons for Firefox
Firebug - A kick ass web that allows you to edit and debug HTML, CSS, javascript and even the DOM.
IE Tab - This allows you to switch between Internet Explorer and Firefox in the same browser. I can't live without this tool.

Last edited by Antmeister : 01-23-2007 at 06:30 PM.