Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #401
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I've been going back and forth on this...

When the trick play before the hook and ladder happened someone in this thread even was like "stop with the trick plays, run your offense"..

This seems to be one of those situations where he looks like a genius because of perfect execution. Any flaws in execution (like your Coverted WR/RB/whatever throwing a bad pass) and you all of a sudden look like a complete moron..

It's just an interesting case here because it worked so many times in a row... about 5 or 6 plays that could turn him from "genius" to "idiot" if the execution isn't there...

I don't know, you go with what's working. Let's say on the 2 point conversion Johnson gets stuffed in the backfield. Does he get ripped for calling a goofy play? I don't think so.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #402
st.cronin
General Manager

dola

How depressed do you think Dan Hawkins is today?

knives out
Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #403
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't know, you go with what's working. Let's say on the 2 point conversion Johnson gets stuffed in the backfield. Does he get ripped for calling a goofy play? I don't think so.

You mean if the statue of liberty gets sniffed out? I think he gets ripped not just for calling a goofy play, but for not kicking the EP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #404
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Serious question. Do you have a brother named Nickel?

How is that a serious question?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #405
st.cronin
General Manager

I somewhat agree about the extra point. I mean, why run that play in OT but not at the end of the 4th Q? But the playcall I don't think would be questioned. Those were the type of plays that were working.

knives out
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #406
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
When the trick play before the hook and ladder happened someone in this thread even was like "stop with the trick plays, run your offense"..

I believe it was me that made this comment and I made it when they came out in OT trying to run a trick play on their first play. The trickery worked though. I'm amaysed at how that game ended. One of the coolest things I've ever seen!

I agree with IMTG, BTW. When I was 12, we used to run the hook and ladder all of the time playing in the backyard. Heck, I remember running it unintentionally in a flag football game about 4 years ago!

IMTG is football God, assoranges!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #407
ctmason
High School JV

Quote:
I somewhat agree about the extra point. I mean, why run that play in OT but not at the end of the 4th Q? But the playcall I don't think would be questioned. Those were the type of plays that were working.

Because I honestly don't think they were keeping Oklahoma out of the end zone again, and he knew it.

If you make the 2-point, you're a hero and one of your players gets to propose. If you don't, you lose the game and endure criticism the likes of which God himself has never seen. But the reality you know, your players know and your staff knows is that your kids on defense were beat up and tired and weren't going to keep a first-class offense from scoring again no matter what.

The risk of not making that conversion on a great play call was lower than trusting his defense to make a stop when they seemingly couldn't. I don't think he had that type of feeling at the end of regulation.

Last edited by ctmason : 01-02-2007 at 10:11 AM.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #408
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

But the question is why not run that after the TD at the end of regulation. Their defense was just as cooked then as it was after Peterson's run in OT.

I don't have a problem with all of the trick plays, because they seemed to be all that was working. Unlike the situation in that Boston College/Central Michigan game early in the season, where CMU was clearly in control and a trick play was unnecessary (and frankly, I thought signaled to the team that the coach didn't have confidence in the team), here, OU had the momentum and BSU needed to infuse some excitement into the offense (both the play calls AND in the players) and to catch OU off-guard.

And really, it was only the OT calls that were "trick plays." The hook-and-ladder is a pretty standard, end of game play. At that point, there are pretty much 3 types of plays to run - Hail Mary into the end zone, hook-and-ladder, or a short pass with various laterals to keep the play going. The hook-and-ladder is simply a structured lateral play. It isn't any trickier than the Cal/Stanford play, and could have turned into that had the second receiver run into tacklers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #409
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

I heard a sound bite on the radio this morning. After seeing what OU did on the first play in OT, the BSU coach didn't think it was a good idea to trade TDs with them. He wanted to end the game quickly.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #410
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

How depressed do you think Dan Hawkins is today?

You obviously don't know Dan Hawkins. The guy is the most positive coach I've ever seen. I'm sure he's happy as hell for those guys. He's had a solid recruiting class in his first chance at CU.

The day I see Hawk depressed is the day I get depressed. Simply one of the most upbeat people I've ever seen.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #411
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
IMTG is football God, assoranges!

assbanana (ass'nana might work better)
asskiwi, assapple, assmango, asspeach, assgrape, assplum, asspomegranate, asspapaya, asspear, asscherry, assnectarine, assmelon...

Just trying it with different fruits...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #412
Ksyrup

I will now refer to University of Miami players, alums, and supporters solely by the word "assmangos" from now on. It fits perfectly (since assplantain doesn't role off the tongue as well).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #413
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But the question is why not run that after the TD at the end of regulation. Their defense was just as cooked then as it was after Peterson's run in OT.

I think it's "Let's see if we can possibly hold them to a FG in OT." One sack really changes the complexion of the drive. Then Peterson slices through the D quickly, and it becomes "Shit, let's not take any more chances."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #414
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think it's "Let's see if we can possibly hold them to a FG in OT." One sack really changes the complexion of the drive. Then Peterson slices through the D quickly, and it becomes "Shit, let's not take any more chances."

I guess. You really can't fault him for making the decision either way. And I guess if he knew he was going to throw the kitchen sink at them in OT, he figured they were good for one possession and a do-or-die 2-point try.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #415
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

A Non-Bowl Cartel Member spoils the party.. What a great night for College Football!!

BSU Recruiting Rankings for last four seasons...

'04 72nd.
'05 73rd
'06 78th
'07 55th

With only 2 Four Star Rated Players over the entire Four Year Period.. Speaks volumes about solid coaching..

Also in my mind brings up the question, why can't my alma mater (UCF) get to this level as well?

Big Ups to BSU!!!

Last edited by MylesKnight : 01-02-2007 at 11:17 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #416
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think their location, being in an area where they can corner the market on their own talented regional players, while cherrypicking top kids that no one is looking at, is the way to sustain that.

And of course, they don't get there unless they play in a conference that they can dominate a la Gonzaga. Parity isn't always what it's cracked up to be, sometimes being the big dog on the block -- even if its a small block -- can do wonders for a team's confidence, added with a dose of "no respect".

Needless to say, that game proved what good scheming and coaching can do. Not just for winning a game, but for players who have the confidence to know that they can execute precisely what they're being asked to do.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #417
DanGarion
Coordinator

Not sure if anyone already posted this. But man that play was amazing execution.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmy1jQRaqGw&eurl=

Last edited by DanGarion : 01-02-2007 at 11:30 AM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #418
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
assbanana (ass'nana might work better)
asskiwi, assapple, assmango, asspeach, assgrape, assplum, asspomegranate, asspapaya, asspear, asscherry, assnectarine, assmelon...

Just trying it with different fruits...

kind of partial to assapple, myself.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #419
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was using orange as a color, not a fruit. Sheesh. Why would I make a play on asswhite with a fruit?

What a bunch of assbrocolis!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #420
Butter
Coordinator

I was going to stay away from here today to do some work, but after that game I had to read down the thread and see the reactions to the multiple late game swings.

That's the greatest bowl game I've ever seen, including the Ohio St./Miami national title for the Buckeyes (of whom I'm a fan).

I actually thought the announcers did a pretty good job. I thought it was going to be a train wreck during the BCS announcement show because it was so bad, but Davis and Alvarez were pretty good with in-game commentary, and Thom Brennaman had some good lines and did his best with such unbelievable craziness. I thought Alvarez snapping Davis and Brennaman back to the game during their playoff debate right before the final 2-pointer was a particularly strong moment.

And, for you SEC fans, I'd just like to note that Wisc-y and Penn St. hopefully put an end to this SEC is the greatest conference in the history of the universe crap. The Big Ten isn't the best top-to-bottom, but the SEC is not as great as everyone would like to believe.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #421
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I was using orange as a color, not a fruit. Sheesh. Why would I make a play on asswhite with a fruit?

Ohh.. well then, I'll bust out my crayons then for some names. Assburntsienna or Ass'winkle
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 01-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #422
Ksyrup

I'm still sticking with assmango. Thanks for inspiring Mustang.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #423
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
A Non-Bowl Cartel Member spoils the party.. What a great night for College Football!!

BSU Recruiting Rankings for last four seasons...

'04 72nd.
'05 73rd
'06 78th
'07 55th

With only 2 Four Star Rated Players over the entire Four Year Period.. Speaks volumes about solid coaching..

Also in my mind brings up the question, why can't my alma mater (UCF) get to this level as well?

Big Ups to BSU!!!

Not only great coaching. . . great scouting and recruiting. The guys had to have talent there to be coached up. It says a great deal about Hawkins and the full coaching staff in finding talent outside the four/five star level.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #424
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm still sticking with assmango. Thanks for inspiring Mustang.

Thanks, my work is done here.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #425
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

how not to talk trash, by vegasvic:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwth...&o=0&fpart=all

big game bob comes through again

Last edited by IMetTrentGreen : 01-02-2007 at 01:47 PM.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #426
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:
It says a great deal about Hawkins and the full coaching staff

i know you are hoping beyond hope that hawkins pans out, and i think he'll be ok in the long run, but a lot of the credit for bsu goes to petersen. they guy is a scientist, and one of the best offensive minds in the country.

i remember reading that he has a son with a serious condition that kept him from moving on, but if he gets a better job, there is no reason he can't have urban meyer success.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #427
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
how not to talk trash, by vegasvic:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwth...&o=0&fpart=all

big game bob comes through again

He graced this board with his wit and intellect as well.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...29&postcount=3
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #428
Cuckoo
College Starter

I'm typically not one to engage in the stupid back and forth bashing. It's pointless, and we all get bit by it, IMTG a bit more than others it seems. Hey, I hate Texas as much as the next guy, but there's a little bit for both teams to dislike this year. OU lost to Texas, of course. But Texas collapsed at the end and wound up in a 2nd tier bowl.

If I have to pick, I'll take OU as Big 12 Champs losing a BCS game like that to an inspired Boise State team over barely winning the Alamo Bowl. But that's just me... ;-)

Last edited by Cuckoo : 01-02-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #429
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
i know you are hoping beyond hope that hawkins pans out, and i think he'll be ok in the long run, but a lot of the credit for bsu goes to petersen. they guy is a scientist, and one of the best offensive minds in the country.

i remember reading that he has a son with a serious condition that kept him from moving on, but if he gets a better job, there is no reason he can't have urban meyer success.

You'll notice I said coaching staff as a whole.

And Peterson is a stud, probably the best OC in the country before becoming a head coach.

But it doesn't change the fact that every guy on that field was recruited with Hawkins as the lead dog in that area. There were a lot of talented players on that field for BSU last night, and some of em even played defense.

Of course I'm hoping against hope Hawkins works out. I believe he will work out, especially when I see how solid of a recruiting job he's putting up after a terrible season. But to not give him some of the credit for what took place last night is off base.

You can have all the talent in the world and lose. But it's pretty damned tough to go 13-0 with just a "scheme". There had to be some dug up talent in there somewhere to make that happen.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #430
wade moore
lolzcat

Argh.. I've purchased the Season Pass on iTunes and almost 24 hours later the game still isn't up?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #431
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just thought it was great to call those plays when they needed something like that the most. I would agree, after that quick Peterson TD, BSU had to do something to try and win this game.

Either way, it was a gutsy call and some nice luck.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #432
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Argh.. I've purchased the Season Pass on iTunes and almost 24 hours later the game still isn't up?!

Is there any where to get the game in avideo format online? I don't really want it as an audio or ipod since I don't have any IPOD.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #433
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Is there any where to get the game in avideo format online? I don't really want it as an audio or ipod since I don't have any IPOD.

hmm. I dont wanna link it since the site also includes piracy, but most torrent sites have it up now .
Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #434
Galaril
Pro Starter

I came across an interesting article from a month ago about the Bosie St. start RB Johnson who had the winning TD pass and the 2 pt play. The same guy who propsed to his girl friend on the field. Apparently he was injured pretty bad and was in serious condition in the hospital with collasped lung. After watching last nights game I am not surprised by this it just adds to this teams incredible story

hxxp://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-nov1606-ian_johnson_released.43f6e308.html
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote