Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #151
HerRealName
College Prospect

watraveler, Check post #92.

Two of my favorite bands released new CDs yesterday. The Hold Steady, Boys and Girls in America and The Decemberists, The Crane Wife. I've been listening to BaGiA a lot and I like the new one but not as much as Separation Sunday. I haven't had enough time with new The Decemberists but my initial impressions are positive.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #152
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Another notlame.com scoop - the band/project LEO, featuring (among others) one Andy Sturmer. Been streaming the music from this site, and it is some solid stuff. A stylistic tribute to ELO, it is just nice to hear something from Sturmer that isn't sung in Japanglish...

Yeah, I've preordered Alpacas Orgling, though based on the name I'm not sure if it's going to be up my alley. I've always had a soft spot for ELO, so it might not be too bad.

Picked up the new releases from Beck and The Killers yesterday, but haven't had a chance to really listen to either.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #153
Easy Mac

For anyone wondering about the new Killers album, I'll allay your fears. It does indeed suck. 1st half of Hot Fuss - niice, fun stuff. 2nd half to Sam's Town - very not good. I don't want to say horrible, because they have nice facial hair.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #154
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
For anyone wondering about the new Killers album, I'll allay your fears. It does indeed suck. 1st half of Hot Fuss - niice, fun stuff. 2nd half to Sam's Town - very not good. I don't want to say horrible, because they have nice facial hair.

I've sorta slipped out of awareness with new music, but I really like the Killers' single (When You Were Young I think it's called?). Is that typical of the album? I was thinking about picking it up, but if that's by and large the best track on the album I wont bother.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Past few weeks, the only thing that's been in my CD player is Iron Maiden's latest A Matter of Life and Death.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #156
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I've sorta slipped out of awareness with new music, but I really like the Killers' single (When You Were Young I think it's called?). Is that typical of the album? I was thinking about picking it up, but if that's by and large the best track on the album I wont bother.

Pretty much like that song all the way, but I dislike that song, so...
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #157
Pyser
Pro Rookie

im about to blow my "cred" here, and i cant believe im about to say this, but mtv2 has turned me onto some decent stuff lately.

i started tivoing subterranean, which is on once a week at like 2 am, and they have some decent guests (shit interviews, but decent guests), and pretty good videos.

turned me onto Murder by Death, Silversun Pickups, and the Kooks so far. not sure how great their albums are yet, but Brother (MbD) and Well Thought Out Twinkles (SP) are cool songs.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #158
Easy Mac

the Kooks CD is pretty fun. Not great music, but its fun.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #159
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Another notlame.com scoop - the band/project LEO, featuring (among others) one Andy Sturmer. Been streaming the music from this site, and it is some solid stuff. A stylistic tribute to ELO, it is just nice to hear something from Sturmer that isn't sung in Japanglish...

I was just about to post about this. I just pre-ordered this, along with the Manning US release and Pop Is Art.

Here's a bit of the write-up on LEO:

Alpacas Orgling is an ingeniously arranged evocation of the orchestral pop-rock of the mid-seventies, a sound built for the eclectic AM-radio pop charts of the time, but also cool enough to resonate for years on the FM dial. It's a style epitomized by the sweeping productions of the Electric Light Orchestra, which created a technologically enhanced wall of sound as grand and wonderful as Phil Spector`s "teenage symphonies" of the mid-sixties. This is no mere homage to an earlier era, however, simply compiling familiar songs from back in the day. Rather, all of these lush, vocal-stacked and hook-packed tunes are originals, composed by a collective of pop-obsessed, genre-jumping contemporary musicians.

Among the collaborators assembled here as L.E.O. are vocalist Andy Sturmer, from nineties power pop-icon Jellyfish; singer-guitarist Mike Viola, formerly of the Candy Butchers and co-writer of the Oscar-nominated movie theme "That Thing You Do!"; multi-platinum producer John Fields; Papas Fritas founder/producer Tony Goddess; Matt Mahaffey of the acclaimed one-man-band Self; Jason Scheff, vocalist and bassist for the legendary band Chicago; singer-songwriter Paula Kelley; Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman; and even the Hanson brothers. This wildly eclectic crew was brought together by Boston pop auteur Bleu (William James McAuley III), who whimsically decided to embark on this unique project four years ago and managed to cajole his many far-flung pals to join him for the ride.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-04-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #160
Groundhog
Coordinator

Speaking of Andy Sturmer and his Japanglish... is Puffy AmiYumi worth checking out? Never heard of them before... is it just bad J-Pop fluff?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:49 AM   #161
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

OK, I've listened to just over 50% of the album so far and I think your review is spot on regarding Sam's Town.

Just not holding my interest at all. Even "When You Were Young" sounds worse now that I've heard it in the context of the rest of the album.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #162
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Speaking of Andy Sturmer and his Japanglish... is Puffy AmiYumi worth checking out? Never heard of them before... is it just bad J-Pop fluff?

Apparently a lot of people like them, but I think they fucking suck. It's like 2 teeny-bop Japanese girls on helium. Their cover of Joining A Fanclub is a disgrace.

"She turned the nightlight on and brew him a kiss."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #163
timmae
College Starter

just bought the new 'Russian Circles' album 'Enter' after seeing thier live show last week... awesome instramental rock. Their bio is basically 3 dudes who started to write songs figuring that they'd track down a lead singer but just kept on going w/o one... great stuff. They're touring with Minus the Bear right now..
Old 11-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #164
Ksyrup

I guess this fits here as good as any thread, since I listen to this album at least once a month.

The Coulda-Shoulda-Woulda Files...Jellyfish: Spilt Milk

hxp://www.idolator.com/tunes/coulda-shoulda-woulda/the-couldashouldawoulda-files-crying-over-jellyfishs-spilt-milk-212223.php

As far as new albums, I'm really enjoying To-Mera, which is a prog metal goth band. Unbelievable musicianship in this band. They sound like a side project of Petrucci, Portnoy, and Myung with a classical jazz pianist and a goth singer.

Also, I'm trying to like Trivium's new one, The Crusade, but damn if this isn't one of the most over the top, cheesy metal albums I've heard in forever. Although the lyrics are often cringe-worthy ("For your honor, you must slaughter, every one of your daughters"), the music is solid and the vocals instantly recall James Hetfield. In fact, the Metallica influences are what really get to me. This album sounds like a metal band in 2006 doing its best Ride the Lightning-era impression of Metallica. Track 4 is - no kidding - RtL with a Youth Gone Wild chorus. And then it segues into Track 5's rip of the riff from Through the Never. But hey, at least that proves they've heard more than just one Metallica album, huh?

For pure headbanging fun, it's a solid album. Anything more than that, and they'll need to tone down the Metallica, find themselves, and find a lyricist.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-04-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:16 AM   #165
korme
Go Reds

I'm a little late to this party, but I just picked up 5 albums:

Brand New / The Devil & God Are Raging Inside of Me
The Hush Sound / Like Vines
Jay-Z / Kingdom Come
The Killers / Sam's Town
My Chemical Romance / The Black Parade

I've only listened to Brand New and The Killers so far. Gotta say, I am not blown away like I was hoping, as they are two of my favorite bands.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:35 PM   #166
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Agree on the Killers, strongly disagree on Brand New. I'm absolutely loving the new CD, can't get enough of it. Really digging "Limousine" especially.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #167
AlexB
Pro Starter

After the excellent Worlds Apart, which was a change in direction but one that really worked well, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead's latest, So Divided, is just bleh after two listens.

Here's hoping it's a grower....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #168
Easy Mac

The Beatles - Love

Can anyone tell me what the big deal is? I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I do have the majority of the albums. I honestly think the songs are kind of boring and given what they were trying to do, they could have done so much more. The only one that makes me say "Wow!" is the Mr. Kite/She's So Heavy/Helter Skelter mix.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #169
kurtism
High School Varsity

With thanks to www.popmatters.com and its end of the year "Best Of" lists, I am enjoying the latest effort from uber-geeky indie rockers Sprite: "Modern Gameplay." While the titles may point towards a jokey band, their sound is seriously catchy and the songs are well-written and well-played. Anyone who can write "George Romero," "Huygens Vs. The Werewolf," and "Me and the SYSOP" is okay by me.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #170
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Anyone want to take a stab at the best albums of the year? I think given the musical variety around here, the lists would be interesting to see.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #171
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola -

Here's mine..the numbers aren't exactly, I just slapped a number and moved on. I actually compiled a list of over 150 albums this year that I ranked, so...this is just a small part of what I liked in particular.

Quote:

1. St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley

2. Dave Chappelle's Block Party - Original Soundtrack

3. Till the Sun Turns Black - Ray LaMontagne

4. The Black Keys - Magic Potion

5. Hip Hop Is Dead - Nas

6. Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Ray Charles

7. Elan Vital - Pretty Girls Makes Graves

8. Game Theory - The Roots

9. Corinne Bailey Rae - Eponymous

10.Return To Cookie Mountain - TV On The Radio

11. Travesias - Susana Baca

12. Peregrine - The Appleseed Cast

13. Saturday Night Wrist - Deftones

14. Fishscale - Ghostface Killah

15. The Dust of Retreat - Margot & the Nuclear So and So's

16. Some Echoes - Aloha

17. Blanco Facil - Chetes

18 Duper Sessions - Sondre Lerche and the Faces Down Quartet

19. All This Time - Heartless Bastards

20. The Loon - Tapes 'n Tapes

21. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

22. The Life Pursuit - Belle & Sebastian

23. I'll Be Seeing You: A Sentimental Journey - Regina Carter

24. Both Sides of the Gun - Ben Harper

25. In The Shadow of Two Gunmen - The Forecast

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-26-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:35 PM   #172
AlexB
Pro Starter

OK, I'll play. More mainstream than many on here I guess, but who gives a...

Future Classics

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People I Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Kasabian - Empire
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops

Honorable Mentions

Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo To Anywhere
Dios Malos - Dios Malos
The Fratellis - Costello Music
The Killers - Sam's Town
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
My Chemical Romace - The Black Parade
The Rapture - Pieces of People We Love
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Scissor Sisters - Ta Dah!
Tapes N' Tapes - The Loon
Old 12-28-2006, 04:39 PM   #173
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
OK, I'll play. More mainstream than many on here I guess, but who gives a...

Future Classics

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People I Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Kasabian - Empire
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops

Honorable Mentions

Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo To Anywhere
Dios Malos - Dios Malos
The Fratellis - Costello Music
The Killers - Sam's Town
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
My Chemical Romace - The Black Parade
The Rapture - Pieces of People We Love
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Scissor Sisters - Ta Dah!
Tapes N' Tapes - The Loon

That's a good list. It's been a great year in music.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #174
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola, forgot to add

Worst Album of 2006

Razorlight - Razorlight.

I truly cannot describe how disappointed I am/was/will always be, how much I hate this, their 2nd album... And Q magazine vote it #3 of the year. Un-fucking-believable.

Last edited by AlexB : 12-28-2006 at 04:43 PM.