Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2000, 07:44 PM   #1
Runtheball
High School JV

Post Computer punts on 1st down !

I dont know if anyone else has posted this bug yet (far too many posts for me to browse through). Last night I was watching the play-by-play and was certain that my opponent punted on 1st down. I thought maybe I had dozed-off, but when I checked the play log I found it actually did happen this way. Here is an excerpt from the log...you'll just have to trust me that I didnt alter the information....

2-10-PHI29 (09:22) PHI 21 Denson ran off left guard for -2 yards. Tackled by NOS 23 Bailey.

3-12-PHI27 (08:36) PHI 10 Ellard pass was dropped by 81 Calloway.

4-12-PHI27 (08:29) PHI 13 Miller punted 44 yards from the PHI27.
NOS 45 Milburn returned the ball 0 yards to the NOS29. Tackled by PHI 44 Gordon.
1-10-NOS29 (08:19) NOS 11 Feagles punted 40 yards from the NOS29.
PHI 83 Uwaezuoke returned the ball -8 yards to the PHI23. Tackled by NOS 62 Turley.

Possession to PHILADELPHIA.

Has Jim indicated that a patch is in the works? The YAC thing is kinda annoying also. Apparently these are some of the more minor bugs in this version, but they're the only ones I've noticed.

------------------
3 yards and a cloud of dust...every down!
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver

Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 11:35 PM   #2
Runtheball
High School JV

I noticed this happen again tonight. I was calling my own offensive plays, punted, and then switched back to letting the coach call the defense.
The opposing team punted on first down immediately after I hit the check box to let the coach call the defense.

------------------
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Old 11-09-2000, 12:55 AM   #3
MEmbrey
n00b

It's not just you, I've seen this happen two or three times in my games.
MEmbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 04:41 PM   #4
Desert Lion
n00b

Actually, this is a consistent and repeatable bug, going back to FOF2. If you're calling your own plays and punt the ball and then hit the 'GM calls plays' box before your punt play is resolved to let the computer take over the play calling once again, the opposing team immediately punts the ball away to you. It's also a really bad cheat, for those who want to never have a drive stopped and then want to go around bragging about the proficiency of their offense--You literally can never have a drive stopped if you choose to take advantage of this bug.

This bug may have gotten worse on the new game, I haven't tested it yet to be sure. What I think may be occuring in the new game(I could swear I've seen this) is that the CPU team immediately punts any time after you've just punted if you hit the 'GM calls plays' box, not just when it's hit before your punt play has been resolved.
Desert Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 10:43 PM   #5
Runtheball
High School JV

It doesnt actually happen _every_ time you hit the "GM calls plays" button after punting. I noticed a couple times today, when I did that, that the bug didnt occur. I think it has occurred to me only when I hit the "GM calls plays" button during the resolution of the punt.

In any case, it seems odd that something like this went un-fixed in the new version.

------------------
-- The Lawgiver
Old 11-10-2000, 04:43 PM   #6
Desert Lion
n00b

In FOF 2001, the computer is definitely punting on 1st downs, even when you click on 'GM calls plays' well after the play has beeen resolved and the subsequent result displayed. The punting bug is now worse than it was in FOF2.

I tested this out yesterday after reading your first post on the subject and this bug occured every single time I tried to punt the ball away and then attempted to return control of the play calling my 'coach' on the next play, even when waiting for 5-10 seconds after the result of the play is displayed.

I did only test this in one game(although I tested this on many punts) and perhaps waiting for more than the 5-10 second time frame I used would have caused different results,but does this really matter? It's clear that there's a bug here.Whether it occurs every time or just a majority of the time isn't important. Just fix the bug.
Desert Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2000, 10:47 AM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Let's hope they let him patch the game...

------------------
Go Cowboys...errr, Jets! Yeah, Jets!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote