Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

OT: All inclusive resort help

I'm getting married on July 14th (I know pic pls - I'd love to, but all the good ones are NSFW). Anyway, we have it in our heads that we want to go to an all-inclusive resort in Aruba.

Anyone have any advice on where to go or how to get a decent deal. I'd like to keep it to under 5k, not including the flights.

Thanks.

lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Flasch186
Coordinator

wow, iwas in the same boat and decided against all inclusive since if you do anything off the resort you are indeed paying twice. What I mean is if you go off the resort to eat dinner, you are in essence paying for your dinner PLUS the dinner you already paid for at the resort. I have heard froma friend who goes to aruba every year that there are lots of nice things to do off of the resorts, etc.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
wow, iwas in the same boat and decided against all inclusive since if you do anything off the resort you are indeed paying twice. What I mean is if you go off the resort to eat dinner, you are in essence paying for your dinner PLUS the dinner you already paid for at the resort. I have heard froma friend who goes to aruba every year that there are lots of nice things to do off of the resorts, etc.

I can't really see us leaving the resort, but I guess the potential exists if it is that great.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
I can't really see us leaving the resort, but I guess the potential exists if it is that great.

I thought the same when we were in Jamaica until we ventured into Montego Bay during day 4 or 5... we then took 2 more trips to different parts of Jamaica that I am glad we did. I experienced some of the native country rather than just the native countrymen who got rich off of the resort. Big difference...
Old 11-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Flasch186
Coordinator

Originally we were going to stay at an all inclusive in the Downtown area (which is near the beach supposedly) but then this friend said, "You might as well stay in Miami." Then kind of did it for me. the place were staying at is manchebo.com which is owned by my friend's grandfather. They said its just a quick taxi ride anywhere you want to go, but that staying at a place like that will allow you to do so much more without feeling like you wasted money on a Sandals or something like that.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I stayed at a Sandals right outside of Montego Bay on my honeymoon and we absolutely loved it. We left the resort a couple times but for planned activities(like waterfall climbing).

The prices quoted on travel websites like Expedia or Sandals.com or Allinclusiveoutlet.com were about 33% higher than what travel agents quoted. So definitely check with a travel agent first.

We are planning on heading back to an All Inclusive resort soon. However we will definitely get a less expensive room(instead of a honeymoon suite). You will barely be in the room, use the money elsewhere.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
Crim
College Benchwarmer

My wife and I went to Aruba on our honeymoon seven years ago, and we did an all-inclusive. Very very happy with our experience that week. Of course there was out-of-pocket for the things we did off resort, but it was all well worth it, in our opinion. Aruba is a very beautiful place to vacation. btw we also found the best deal through an agent.

Take lots of pictures! i especially got a kick out of the old-lady trees. You'll understand when you get there...

Congrats, and have fun!

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Oh and you can rent vehicles for exporing the island, very reasonably for all-day rates. My advice: get the jeep, not the Volkswagon Golf. I beat that poor golf to hell, rest its soul.

RIP
Old 11-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I've never been to Aruba so I can't comment on the location but if there are any of the resorts associated with Sandals they may be worth looking into. If the area is as nice as it sounds then you may want to stay away from all inclusive based on some of the advice already mentioned. If you are not planning on leaving the resort much, then go all out for the all inclusive. We did that at Jamaica and loved it (nothing beats all you can eat and drink at that point). But it really depends on where you are.

Most importantly though, congrats on the pending nuptuals.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I've never been to Aruba so I can't comment on the location but if there are any of the resorts associated with Sandals they may be worth looking into. If the area is as nice as it sounds then you may want to stay away from all inclusive based on some of the advice already mentioned. If you are not planning on leaving the resort much, then go all out for the all inclusive. We did that at Jamaica and loved it (nothing beats all you can eat and drink at that point). But it really depends on where you are.

Most importantly though, congrats on the pending nuptuals.

Thanks, and thanks everyone else who chimed in.

Sounds as though the travel agent is the way to go. I was actually suprised when I ran it through AA vacations it was a much better rate then say the Expedias of the world. I've got enough frequent flyer miles for the tickets - as long as I don't mind a trip home that is 22 hours long thanks to a 12 hour layover in Miami....
Old 11-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #11
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Lots to do in Miami for a few hours, not a total loss.

RIP
Old 11-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #12
Hammer755
High School Varsity

We went to the Bahamas for our honeymoon and did not do the all-inclusive package and really ended up regretting it. Decent places to eat were few and far between, so we paid out the nose a couple of times to eat at the resort restaurant anyway. The best meal I had all week was when we found a McDonalds in Nassau. This was 1998, and I got a McDLT (keeps the hot side hot and the cold side cold), a sandwich that hadn't been sold in the States for probably a decade.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #13
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Blah. I'm getting married next September and the last thing I want to do is go to some resort in the Carribean. I'm hoping for Europe somewhere.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

My wife and I LOVE Aruba! It is our favorite place in the entire world. We've been there 6 times, and we own a timeshare there.

I will be glad to answer any and all questions you have about the island. But I should tell you that there are probably only a couple of choices for all-inclusive (including the Occidental where we stay). And it really isn't like an all-inclusive on other islands/countries. We've been to all-inclusives where we literally never left the property (Mexico, St Lucia, etc.). But it is not like that in Aruba. First of all, the island is very small... something lile 7 miles wide x 20 miles long. Most of the resort areas are on the western side, and are split into two sections: the low-rise and the high-rise. You can take that literally... there are a group of high-rise hotels, and then next to it are a group of one and two-story hotels. The beaches are gorgeous. The weather is phenomenal!!!

But none of the properties are very big (probably the two Marriott properties next to each other are the biggest in land area). There is a sidewalk that runs along the beach and the back of the high-rise hotels. It is very common for many people to take a stroll. There are many restaurants in the hotel "district". The other main area to hang out is downtown Oranjestad. This is where all of the cruise ships dock, so many restaurants, bars, shops, etc.

I guess what I am saying is if you have your heart set on all-inclusive, then by all means go for it. We did that one time, but prefer to eat/drink places all around the island. You can rent a car (for entire trip or just a day trip), there are taxis at the hotels, and we even take the bus from the hotel area to downtown. Most of the time we walk around.

There are lots of other sights to see - California Lighthouse is popular, plenty of water sports (scuba, snorkeling, jet-skis, tubing), even caves to explore. Alas, the Natural Bridge on the nothern part of the island collapsed a couple of years ago.

For us, the island has a pace like no other. There are places that when we visit we feel like we need to be on the go to see everything there is to see. Not so in Aruba. Everyone goes at their own pace, and it is the most relaxing spot for us.

I guess you can tell I'm a bit passionate about Aruba!

We love it, and I don't think you can go wrong there.

Good luck and have fun!

Bonbini!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
My wife and I LOVE Aruba! It is our favorite place in the entire world. We've been there 6 times, and we own a timeshare there.

I will be glad to answer any and all questions you have about the island. But I should tell you that there are probably only a couple of choices for all-inclusive (including the Occidental where we stay). And it really isn't like an all-inclusive on other islands/countries. We've been to all-inclusives where we literally never left the property (Mexico, St Lucia, etc.). But it is not like that in Aruba. First of all, the island is very small... something lile 7 miles wide x 20 miles long. Most of the resort areas are on the western side, and are split into two sections: the low-rise and the high-rise. You can take that literally... there are a group of high-rise hotels, and then next to it are a group of one and two-story hotels. The beaches are gorgeous. The weather is phenomenal!!!

But none of the properties are very big (probably the two Marriott properties next to each other are the biggest in land area). There is a sidewalk that runs along the beach and the back of the high-rise hotels. It is very common for many people to take a stroll. There are many restaurants in the hotel "district". The other main area to hang out is downtown Oranjestad. This is where all of the cruise ships dock, so many restaurants, bars, shops, etc.

I guess what I am saying is if you have your heart set on all-inclusive, then by all means go for it. We did that one time, but prefer to eat/drink places all around the island. You can rent a car (for entire trip or just a day trip), there are taxis at the hotels, and we even take the bus from the hotel area to downtown. Most of the time we walk around.

There are lots of other sights to see - California Lighthouse is popular, plenty of water sports (scuba, snorkeling, jet-skis, tubing), even caves to explore. Alas, the Natural Bridge on the nothern part of the island collapsed a couple of years ago.

For us, the island has a pace like no other. There are places that when we visit we feel like we need to be on the go to see everything there is to see. Not so in Aruba. Everyone goes at their own pace, and it is the most relaxing spot for us.

I guess you can tell I'm a bit passionate about Aruba!

We love it, and I don't think you can go wrong there.

Good luck and have fun!

Bonbini!

when you have tyme could you put a list of the most extreme of the spectrum, meaning the best restaurants, excursions, sites vs. the worst places to avoid? That would be awesome, My fiancee and I go may 1st for 1 week.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL