Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Fantasy Football Trade -- Is it fair?

I have offered Chester Taylor to several players. I've offered him straight up for Holt, Harrison, Wayne, Boldin, Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, Fitzgerald and TO.

I realize these are primo names but looking at our league scoring averages, Taylor comes in at 12.0 and only Holt is higher on an average week. I know you can't look solely at this. With that said, ever team I have proposed the trade to needs a RB desparately. They are either playing RBBC or have guys hurt so they're all but starting a backup. I've been rejected by every one of them. Do they undervalue Taylor? One guy told me I was trading a backup for a starting WR. Granted Taylor's a backup on my team (because I have LT and Dunn) but is he a backup? I think every one of those offers except Holt is a fair deal if you need/want a good RB.

Thoughts?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Depends on league size but with 10 or more teams Taylor should be starting.

I think part of it is name recognition getting those reactions. I mean TO, Fitzgerald? I'd trade those guys for Taylor in a second if I needed a back.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Agreed. Nobody knew who Taylor was at the beginning of the season, and they probably haven't realized just what kind of numbers he has been putting up.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I have Taylor on my team now I wouldn't trade him so they are fools for not snatching him from you.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
SnDvls
Pro Starter

dola - unless they don't have any WRs and have a decent RB too.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Capital
High School Varsity

C.Taylor is an above average back but not nowhere near elite status. I would trade any of the receivers you mentioned for Chester Taylor. A top receiver is difficult to acquire. Although, I do not know how many receivers you start in your league.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
rowech
Pro Starter

So I can get more input...

12 teams, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Defense

Scoring is 6 points for a TD and 1 point for every full 10 yards of receiving and rushing.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

FBG lists Taylor as the 19th most valuable player in fantasy football. They have him behind Holt, Harrison, Williams, and TO, and ahead of Wayne, Boldin, Johnson, and Fitzgerald.

So you're in the right ballpark. I can see teams not wanting to make that move, depending on their depth at various positions as well as how much stock they put in name value over production. But it's not like you're insulting them with the offers.

P.S. I'd be starting Taylor over Dunn most weeks.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
rowech
Pro Starter

Can I ask what FBG is?

I played Taylor this week over Dunn...it's usually based on who I think has the better matchup. This week's a tough call. Dunn at Cleveland or Taylor at GB.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

FBG = Footballguys.com, a (paid) fantasy site.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

At face value, I don't think it is that horrendous.

Could make a case to do it and not do it in each trade combo..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
rowech
Pro Starter

Maple Leafs...thanks...I'm trying to show evidence that I'm not an idiot to these guys. Because you said what you did, I actually started wondering if I would have better success at trading Dunn for one of them.

I'm 7-2 right now and have WR's of Walker, Chambers, Keyshawn, and Reggie Williams. I think my team is good but I've been good before. I've been the bowl 2 of the last 3 seasons only to fall short. I have Brees, LT, Dunn, and Witten as a solid core. I then have LT's backup and am working on a trade for Dunn's backup. Assuming I get that for something minor, Taylor becomes expendable to try and solidify that 2nd WR with someone more consistent. A friend of mine says I don't even need to make a deal but I'm just not sure.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Even though Taylor is a backup you might want to hold onto him anyway. You never know when Dunn or LT could go down for a few weeks. It also seems (to me at least) easier to pick up a replacement WR for an injured player rather than a RB.

Also, you may consider starting CT over Dunn depending on matchups.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #14
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Maple Leafs...thanks...I'm trying to show evidence that I'm not an idiot to these guys. Because you said what you did, I actually started wondering if I would have better success at trading Dunn for one of them.

I'm 7-2 right now and have WR's of Walker, Chambers, Keyshawn, and Reggie Williams. I think my team is good but I've been good before. I've been the bowl 2 of the last 3 seasons only to fall short. I have Brees, LT, Dunn, and Witten as a solid core. I then have LT's backup and am working on a trade for Dunn's backup. Assuming I get that for something minor, Taylor becomes expendable to try and solidify that 2nd WR with someone more consistent. A friend of mine says I don't even need to make a deal but I'm just not sure.

If you have Michael Turner and Taylor's backup (Mewelde Moore?) then you could safely trade Dunn.

I doubt you will get more for him than Taylor, but you never know, you can try.

I would also be starting Taylor ahead of Dunn, especially since Dunn will be beginning his annual second half of the season slowdown (he only averaged 65 yards over the last 9 games last season, with one TD, in a career high year for carries). Dunn is simply not an elite back. Like many seasons, he was over the first half of this year, but you already got that out of him, so bail now.

Even if you cannot get a top 10 WR for Dunn, I'd be trying to trade him for someone in the second 10.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Hold on to Taylor, The Vikings have an easy schedule coming up.

PS I would hold on to both backs. Backs are so injury prone plus if you have 3 good ones you usually can get 2 favorable matchups. You're WR's athough not great are more then servicable. WR's are a dime a dozen any way you look at it. Backs bring home the bacon!
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm 7-2 right now and have WR's of Walker, Chambers, Keyshawn, and Reggie Williams. I think my team is good but I've been good before. I've been the bowl 2 of the last 3 seasons only to fall short.
If you have a strong team, good record, and good track record of success, you should expect your leaguemates to be less inclined to want to trade with you. It's human nature -- they don't want to risk improving your team, even if they improve their own at the same time.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #17
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
If you have Michael Turner and Taylor's backup (Mewelde Moore?) then you could safely trade Dunn.

It's hard to tell who would replace Taylor if he were to get injured. Taylor has carried 173 times, with only 20 carries going to other backs. Mewelde Moore has 11 and Artose Pinner has 9. Moore also has 19 catches, but that's largely because of his role as a third down back. Moore's durability to handle a starting job is questionable, and Pinner seems to be taking more of the backup running back carries recently (although it is a very small sample). If Taylor does break down, Pinner could see as many or more carries than Moore. Moore's durability to fill in Taylors role of 25 touches a game is very questionable.

If Taylor does go down the ability of any of the Vikings backs to be able to step in and assume his role/fantasy value is questionable.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-08-2006 at 10:08 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #18
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Even though Taylor is a backup you might want to hold onto him anyway. You never know when Dunn or LT could go down for a few weeks. It also seems (to me at least) easier to pick up a replacement WR for an injured player rather than a RB.

Also, you may consider starting CT over Dunn depending on matchups.

If I could get Norwood, I'd feel extremely safe trading Taylor knowing I'd have LT's backup and Dunn's backup. I won't trade Taylor unless I get Norwood. I'll just suck it up if that's the case.