Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Were you asked for ID at your polling station?
Yes 36 46.15%
No 37 47.44%
I did not vote 5 6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #51
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
See: Chicago. For years (still?) they had people voting in place of people that were deceased.

Are you saying that the dead don't have a right to representation? If they died for this country or had their estates taxed after their deaths, then by God, they should still have the right to vote!

Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #52
cougarfreak
College Starter

That's shocking to me. Here in little ole Kentucky, I've always had to show ID.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #53
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There's a big difference. The electronic fraud has proven to be almost untraceable in many instances. So hard proof is pretty hard to get. With the other forms, there is a paper trail to be followed. There is a signature that is left behind that could be traced.

"could be traced" and are ever traced is a big difference...

And, I don't sign anything when I vote fwiw. So, if I wasn't ID'd, there'd be NO trail for me whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
but it seems that if they can't afford to go get a photo ID, they can't afford to go vote (I know, the [insert party here]'s bus them - so, have a big busing to go get ID's then).

That was proposed as part of the solution in Georgia, was rejected out of hand by the opponents of the measure. So was making the ID's free for those unable to pay. No dice.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
That's shocking to me. Here in little ole Kentucky, I've always had to show ID.

You have fewer electoral votes
Old 11-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #56
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That was proposed as part of the solution in Georgia, was rejected out of hand by the opponents of the measure. So was making the ID's free for those unable to pay. No dice.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything you haven't thought yourself, but - that screams of attempts to maintain fraud imo...

*sigh*.. this seems like such a no-brainer to me.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #57
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Here's some info on Oregon's vote by mail. Any folks from Oregon want to give their thoughts?

Quote:
Oregon's Vote by Mail system is simple and straightforward. Ballots are mailed 14 to 18 days before an election to the registered address of the voter; the voter has two weeks to return the ballot through the mail or by dropping it off at official drop-off sites. The voter must sign the outside of the envelope (the ballot is sealed in a separate envelope inside) and that signature is checked against the signature on file with the elections division.

Quote:
Voter participation: It increases turnout -- 84 percent of registered Oregonians voted this year.

Convenience: People can vote according to their schedule.

Education: People have time to study issues and candidates before voting.

Fraud protection: It has built-in safeguards that increase the integrity of the elections process.

Built-in paper trail.

Voter eligibility: Built-in time to resolve disputes.

Actual results are released when polls close as opposed to unreliable "exit polls."

Financial: It saves money.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #58
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There's a big difference. The electronic fraud has proven to be almost untraceable in many instances. So hard proof is pretty hard to get. With the other forms, there is a paper trail to be followed. There is a signature that is left behind that could be traced.

You're now beyond my non-political-self's ability to participate in this argument. I find it unlikely that a signature is that verifiable. I presume you could check the previous year(s) of voting and compare. If it's not the same, throw it out. Outside of that, I don't see how having a trail of fraudulent ballots is any better than a non-trail of hacked electronic data. I really know nothing about the topic, though.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #59
wade moore
lolzcat

The fraud protection is the thing I'm most curious about...

This seems pretty expoloitable on the surface to me, but I imagine they have to have some protection in place.

The whole the "signature is checked" thing... That's what I'm curious about.. how exactly is it checked? Is every single one checked? Are there experts checking them?

The other thing I wonder that you mention here JPhillips in general, is what about the groups of people (students, certain single working class, etc) that tend to move a lot - doesn't this take the process out of their hands a bit?

Quote:
Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #60
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Are you saying that the dead don't have a right to representation? If they died for this country or had their estates taxed after their deaths, then by God, they should still have the right to vote!

OK, you got me. Does anyone need my grandfather's name that lives near Falls Church?

Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #61
Coder
College Prospect

I never understood why people have to register to vote in the US.. here everyone over the age of 18 automatically gets a "voter card" sent to them by mail about 2 months before the election.

You then take this card to the polling station, bring your ID and once there you're asked to show both when putting your votes in a box. One person checks your card and ID, says it out loud, then another person looks through a list saying "check".

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #62
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I presume you could check the previous year(s) of voting and compare. If it's not the same, throw it out.

That's exactly how it works, at least in most parts of Texas. There's where you sign the register when you vote, there's the signature on your voter registration certificate, and the signature on your voter registration application. Not sure how it is handled in other states
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-07-2006 at 03:03 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #63
larrymcg421
Head Coach

There are a few states (Minnesota and Maine among them) that allow voter registration on the day of the election. I really don't see why this isn't nationwide. This isn't the 19th century. We don't need that much time to get voter lists ready. And this way, if there is ever any discrepancy with someone not being on the voter rolls, they can just then re-register at that point.

As for Voter ID's, I don't have a problem with them under three conditions:

1) Voter ID's are absolutely cost free.

2) All centers where you can get a voter ID have to be within a reasonable distance of everyone in the state.

3) Those that are a certain distance away from their nearest voter ID center are exempt from the voter ID requirement.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-07-2006 at 03:06 PM.
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #64
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Here's some more info that I found.

Quote:
When are ballots mailed?

Ballots are mailed between 20-22 days before election day.

They are mailed bulk and ballots are not forwaded.

What is in the ballot envelope?

Your ballot envelope also contains two envelopes - a return envelope and a secrecy envelope. And of course your ballot.

What do you do with the ballot?

Well vote obviously. But HOW?

Ballots are filled out with a #2 pencil and are the optical scanner variety (like the SAT test - you fill in ovals next to your candidate).

You fill out your ballot and then place it in the secrecy envelope.

You place the secrecy envelope in the return envelope. You sign the back of your return envelope swearing you are who you are.

You then can either mail the ballot in or drop it off at county elections offices or the numerous official drop off sites around the county like libraries, public squares, supermarkets etc.

For those looking for a more traditional voting experience can head to their county elections office where actual ballot booths are still available. The mechanics of the voting system are the same.

You have to have RETURNED your ballot by 8:00 p.m. on election day. Postmarks do not count.

Great you voted, but what happens then?

When your ballot is received at the elections office they first check your signature. All voter registration cards in Oregon are scanned into a statewide voter file. The county elections staff call up each ballot received to check the signature versus the registration card.

How do they know who you are? Next to your signature on the back of the return envelope is your basic info and a barcode so that they can quickly pull up your registration card.

If the signature matches then you are marked as voted in the system and the secrecy envelope containing your ballot is removed and stored in a secure location. The secrecy envelopes are NOT opened until election day.

If the signature does not match then the county elections officials calls you and ask you to come down to the elections office to double check your signature and verify the ballot.

When are the ballots counted?

As I previously stated they are stored in a secure location until election day. On election day they begin counting ballots at 8:00 a.m. This means that many times by the times "polls" close at 8:00 p.m results are almost immediately available.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #65
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I never understood why people have to register to vote in the US.. here everyone over the age of 18 automatically gets a "voter card" sent to them by mail about 2 months before the election.

You then take this card to the polling station, bring your ID and once there you're asked to show both when putting your votes in a box. One person checks your card and ID, says it out loud, then another person looks through a list saying "check".

Obviously it's so that the incumbent officials can be sure that the districts are designed to maximize the number of seats held by their party.

Edit: And so that convicted felons can't vote for their elected officials.

Last edited by lordscarlet : 11-07-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #66
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post

Registering is very easy in this country. And when I say "this country" I mean Virginia.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #67
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Registering is very easy in this country. And when I say "this country" I mean Virginia.

I had a government teacher in High School that advocated Virginia Seceding and becoming a monarchy.

I'm just sayin'...

Quote:
Old 11-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #68
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

I was able to register in DC online.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I'm off to go vote now.

I fully expect to be ID'ed, as I have been for the past several years consistently.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #70
Subby
lolzcat

My post had more to do with my limited life experiences than anything else.

Not that Virginia doesn't kick ass...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #71
st.cronin
General Manager

I just went in and signed the roll, but considering that all the poll workers have been over to my house, it would have been weird if they had asked me for ID.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #72
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yes, they asked for ID
Old 11-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There would have to be some sort of provision in place for the Amish who wish to vote. Since they do not have photo ID.

Which brings up an interesting work related conundrum as well. We're supposed to card anyone who appears to be under 27, and some of these Amish guys look hella young. I sell them their tobacco anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #74
Joe
Pro Starter

I've never had to show ID to vote. Just tell them your name, and sign the sheet.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #75
TredWel
High School Varsity

I did not have to show ID, but I did notice that the sign-in book said "ID Required" next to some people's names. Not sure what you have to do to get flagged as ID required. My first guess it that you would have to show ID if you had recently moved into the ward, but I moved to a different ward a couple of years ago, and was not asked to show ID.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #76
Swaggs
Coordinator

I voted in Durham, NC. My wife and I were each asked our name and addresses and then asked to sign our names. No ID required.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #77
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yes, we had to show the ID for them to check you off the voter's roll and then I got a paper ballot. I love that we keep things simple in our county.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #78
Tigercat
College Starter

In the suburbs here in Louisiana, we have always asked to show a picture ID or voting reg. card. I show both lately, because I still have an out of state license.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #79
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel View Post
I did not have to show ID, but I did notice that the sign-in book said "ID Required" next to some people's names. Not sure what you have to do to get flagged as ID required. My first guess it that you would have to show ID if you had recently moved into the ward, but I moved to a different ward a couple of years ago, and was not asked to show ID.

I wasn't ID'd here in California. Also, I think the answer to your question is that when its your first time voting (ie. 18 year olds) you have to show ID. After that, I don't think its required.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As usual, got ID'ed when I went to vote.