Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Vote for ALL quotes you would like to see REMAIN in the QotM rotation.
The best of Randy Smith followed by the worst of Dombrowski. 8 9.20%
Up and down like a toilet seat the server is.. (Talking about Hattrick) 24 27.59%
In other news I hear a SUV broke loose from its chain, crashed through the wall of a pre-school, and ATE all the children. 42 48.28%
Depending on what you are getting your degree in, studying is waaaaaay overrated. I would suggest drinking more alcohol. 51 58.62%
I would think that a Bungles fan would be familiar with shock and "awwwwwwwwwwww" by now. 41 47.13%
What a country. Only in America can a poor black boy grow up to be a rich white woman. 53 60.92%
Shorty, if you really have the ability to kill threads... this forum could use some of your handiwork a little more often. 40 45.98%
Duke fields a football team, that much is clear fact. Whether or not they play football is probably debatable 55 63.22%
Bucc had traveled all the states before the last 18 were added... 42 48.28%
I used to think when I told a joke and no one laughed that "you had to be there." I've since realized I'm just not funny. 54 62.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2003, 11:57 PM   #1
Craptacular
College Starter

Post Quote of the Moment, Volume 1

OK, here's the pilot poll. I took the list of quotes (from sometime last week when I was bored, 123 quotes total), used random.org to generate 10 random numbers, and pulled these 10 quotes out. My opinion of the quotes had nothing to do with the list.

Please vote for all the quotes you would like to see REMAIN in the QotM rotation. Anything that gets a positive vote from over 50% of voters (subject to change at mods' discretion) stays in; the rest will be removed. I believe the percentages that show up in the results are based on the total number of VOTES, but we can easily see the number of VOTERS and determine whether or not the threshold is met.

The poll will run for two days.

If you have any suggestions or comments, just post them here, and I'll take them into account if/when there is another. If this idea works, and people generally seem to like it, I can run a poll every couple of days until we work through the database. If no one cares, we'll just let this idea die.

*edit* Note that it seems the total number of votes shown before you vote is the total of all VOTES cast, but the number shown after you have voted is the total number of VOTERS, which is the key number.

Last edited by Craptacular : 05-13-2003 at 12:20 AM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

WTF?!?!? It showed "13 votes" on my screen before I voted, but now shows "3 votes" after I voted.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:11 AM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

Well, I guess you'll see the total number of votes before you vote, then will see the total number of VOTERS after you vote. I guess this will work after all.

EDIT: previous rambling posts deleted ... thanks ABC

Last edited by Craptacular : 05-13-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:15 AM   #4
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Old 05-13-2003, 12:16 AM   #5
Easy Mac

or just add up all the votes and set the threshhold to 10%.

RIght now the poll numbers I'm looking at we keep 4, which seems right to me. Setting it at 50% of the # of people who voted means we keep 7.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:21 AM   #6
Easy Mac

example:

3 people vote:
9 quotes have 3 votes each, 1 has 2 votes.

50% of voters:
we keep them all

10% threshhold or total voters:
We keep all the ones with 3 votes (near 10.3% or something)
We lose the one with 2 votes (near 8.3% or something)

To me the second way is more efficient, but whatever.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:22 AM   #7
Easy Mac

dub dol

it also adds some strategy, makes it kind of like a game
Old 05-13-2003, 12:27 AM   #8
Craptacular
College Starter

Easy Mac, the thing I don't like about that is that you could have the ten best quotes up at once, and some will have to be voted off. The way it's set up now, the quotes don't directly "compete" against each other, so we could theoretically keep all 10 if they were all really good. Likewise, we could wipe out all 10 if people didn't like any of them.

edit: As you said in your last post, that method would be more like a game. If most people would rather have something like that, we could change the requirements.

Last edited by Craptacular : 05-13-2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:45 AM   #9
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, looks to me like the logic they use in calculating percentages is flawed. In a multiple choice poll, they should divide the number of votes by the number of respondents, NOT the number of overall votes (which is how a select one is and should be tabulated).
Old 05-13-2003, 07:37 AM   #10
MIJB#19
Coordinator

It's good to know you can vote on multiple quotes, especially after I voted...
:o
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:43 AM   #11
Blade6119
Coordinator

.....what if we just don't care about some...vote for them anyway?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #12
John Galt
Pro Starter

Hey Crap,

It looks good so far. One suggestion for the future - you may want to include the author of the quotes. In most cases, it probably doesn't matter, but in a quite a few knowing who said it is the only thing that makes the quote worth keeping, IMO.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:47 AM   #13
andy m
High School Varsity

all of these are rubbish apart from the SUV one.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:49 AM   #14
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Crap - in the future just do nine quote. set the thenth (or first) block to say CHECK HERE.

this should tell you the vote total (assuming people check it). This also allows you the just the box, and vote for none
Old 05-13-2003, 09:50 AM   #15
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by andy m
all of these are rubbish apart from the SUV one.

you love me, you really love me
Old 05-13-2003, 10:52 AM   #16
Craptacular
College Starter

Anyone else have an opinion on adding names with the quotes? For the most part, I thought a quote should be "good" or not regardless of who said it, so I left the names out.

As for only listing 9 quotes, the issue of how many people voted is taken care of, so we don't need everyone to check a box just to keep track. However, since I'm not quite sure if the polling system allows you to submit a vote without choosing any, a "none" option may be necessary. Other thoughts?

edit: I tested this with a fake poll that I quickly deleted, and you can't submit a vote without choosing at least one answer. Is a "none" option necessary, or can we assume that there should be at least 1 quote in every batch worthy enough for each of us to vote for?

Last edited by Craptacular : 05-13-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:13 AM   #17
Alf
Pro Starter

The SUV one sucks
Old 05-13-2003, 11:17 AM   #18
henry296
College Starter

I think the author is important because it may be funny because of who said it.

Todd
Old 05-13-2003, 11:18 AM   #19
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
As for only listing 9 quotes, the issue of how many people voted is taken care of, so we don't need everyone to check a box just to keep track. However, since I'm not quite sure if the polling system allows you to submit a vote without choosing any, a "none" option may be necessary. Other thoughts?

did you read my post?
Old 05-13-2003, 11:42 AM   #20
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Anyone else have an opinion on adding names with the quotes? For the most part, I thought a quote should be "good" or not regardless of who said it, so I left the names out.

edit: I tested this with a fake poll that I quickly deleted, and you can't submit a vote without choosing at least one answer. Is a "none" option necessary, or can we assume that there should be at least 1 quote in every batch worthy enough for each of us to vote for?

I would've thought there'd be at least one, until I saw this group. Therefore, I'd have to agree with the sentiment to have a vote for none.

Jamie
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:27 PM   #21
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

The "none" option should be available. (in my opinion)
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:30 PM   #22
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
I think the author is important because it may be funny because of who said it.

Todd

i disagree. this means that the quote was only funny "in context." To me, this is the antithesis of the quote of the moment. The quote of the moment should be funny enough to be funny without knowing who said it, or what context they said it in.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:34 PM   #23
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

just an aside. when did we decide that the purpose of the QOTM was to be funny?
Old 05-13-2003, 01:03 PM   #24
revrew
Team Chaplain

The SUV quote is one of the board's best. I laugh every time I see it come up. And I agree that the author is sometimes necessary to determine context. A quote about the Cowboys is funnier if it came from Kodos, a quote about SWMBO is better from Sky Dog, etc.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #25
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
did you read my post?

Of course I did, and I responded to it. Did I miss anything?
Old 05-13-2003, 01:33 PM   #26
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
just an aside. when did we decide that the purpose of the QOTM was to be funny?

ok, ill back up and say that the quote should at least make sense out of it's original context. Many in the QOTM do not.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:36 PM   #27
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

This poll is asinine.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 06:50 PM   #28
Vince
Pro Starter

I agree that the names should be left out. If someone wants to go to all the trouble of figuring it out, just look in the quote list. I think a quote SHOULD be able to stand alone, but there are some that I can see are funnier because of the author, but those are rare enough that most people should already know who said them.

PS - My quote is 'winning' My only quote...maybe I should try to be funny more often. I tend to agree with others, though, the SUV quote is the cream of this crop in my opinion.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 05-13-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:12 PM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't remember where but "What a country. Only in America can a poor black boy grow up to be a rich white woman." is stolen from somewhere. It's not original to the board.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:56 PM   #30
tucker342
Pro Starter

What a country. Only in America can a poor black boy grow up to be a rich white woman.

I think that's the best quote there
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:59 AM   #31
Craptacular
College Starter

bump ... you've got about 12 hours left to vote on this batch

edit: and to give comments or suggestions for future versions

Last edited by Craptacular : 05-14-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:02 PM   #32
Subby
lolzcat

Where do we vote for what Marmel said?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:36 PM   #33
Craptacular
College Starter

last chance to make or break a few quotes